US Unit Code Names

For several years I have been trying to find out the code names of all 70th Infantry Division units to no avail. I know the division and infantry regiments, but none of the special troops, engineers and medical battalion. While posting AARs for the 884th FAB, I noticed attached units were sometimes mentioned by their code names. The main question: does anyone know who established the code names for units and is there a master index online? Is a master index of code names available anywhere?

Here's what I have -

70th Infantry Division Headquarters - "Wyandot"

274th Infantry - "Wyoming"

275th Infantry - "Wrecker"

276th Infantry - "Wriggle"

The two attached support units mentioned:

93rd Armored Field Artillery - "Scorpion"

686th Field Artillery Battalion - "Fickle"

Any help is appreciated.

Now if there was a dedicated WWII game forum, we wouldn't have to wonder whether somebody is talking about 1944 or 2004.

Bingo.

@Jon, I don't think you can be "cool" and be a member of this forum, this place is about as hip as a pocket protector.

@Michael, I apologize for not conducting a thorough investigation prior to posting. [/sarcasm]

@Michael, I apologize for not conducting a thorough investigation prior to posting. [/sarcasm]

Doesn't require much investigation to know that there wasn't a 70th. around for very long after the war. I would think that anyone tossing out "SOI, KEK," and "TEK" would know all about that kind of stuff.

Michael

On a vaguely related note, Commonwealth-style armies used/use a series of callsigns for different functional groups:

SUNRAY ------- Commander

MOONBEAM ---- Chief of Staff

SEAGULL ------ Operations / Adjutant

BOXWOOD ---- General Staff (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical)

ACORN -------- Intelligence Rep

MANHOLE ----- Administrative Staff

MOLAR -------- Logistics Staff / Quartermaster

NUTSHELL ----- Q Staff / Equipment Rep

CONROD ------- Air Defence Rep

SPYGLASS ----- Air Reconnaissance Rep

BASEBALL ------ Air Traffic Controller

ATOLL --------- Air Transport Support Operations Rep

HAWKEYE ------- Land Air Rep

IRONSIDE ------- Armour Rep

SHOTGUN ------- Armament Officer

SHELDRAKE ----- Artillery Rep

CRACKER -------- Locating Battery / Arty Intelligence Rep

HOLDFAST ------ Engineer / Airfield Construction Rep

FORTUNE -------- Forward Air Controller

GLOWWORM ----- Ground Liaison Officer

FOXHOUND ------ Infantry Rep

STARLIGHT ------ Medical Rep

CONTRACTOR ---- Movements Staff

RICKSHAW ------- Ordinance Rep

WATCHDOG ------ Provost Rep

BLUEBELL -------- Electrical / Mechanical Engineering Rep

PRONTO --------- Signals Rep

PLAYTIME ------- Supply and Transport Rep

METEOR --------- Meteorological Rep

Now, I always assumed that it was sort of code, mainly because that's what I'd been told. However, it struck me as a singularly weak code, since these callsigns have been in use for more than 60 years, have been suplemented but never changed, and 'de-codings' like the one above are ten a penny.

Fast forward to last weekend, and I was reading a book. In one particular section Bungay talks about the callsigns used by British squadrons, which followed the same general format as above - short, punchy, two syllable words:

The German pilots listened in to the RAF frequencies and speculated about what was going on. Steinhilper thought the squadron call-signs were 'a system of cover names and special phrases, supposedly to confuse us' ... . In fact these call signs - the two he mentions, 'Weapon' and 'Dogrose' were for 601 and 610 Squadrons respectively - had been introduced to make communication simple, rapid and clear. The high frequency radios used in the late 30s were of poor quality and experiments had shown that short two-syllable words were the easiest to understand unambiguously over the interferance-prone airwaves. Fighter Command was far more interested in being able to talk to itself than in confusing the Luftwaffe.

I am therefore going to make a leap into the unknown, and henceforth assume that SHELLDRAKE, et al, originated for exactly the same reason, and have remained in use for reasons of practicality, functionality, and tradition.

JonS that confirms what I know. This was also a case of developing a slang that could be readily understood across the force, regardless of where personnel were moved. You didn't have to remember a person's name or a specific code word of the day. If you needed arty in a hurry, you knew who to ask for. The net you were using would dictate the level of asset too.

I would also add in the use of "Minor" for each of those terms to refer to the next man down. As in Sunray Minor was the 2IC.

You must be an S6 type. Are you a COMSEC manager or something? HUUUAH

You can look my Squadron's name up on google. Its has nothing to do with SOI.

Yeah, about that, apparently I jumped the gun and misunderstood the op's intent. Like I said, my bad. I'm an 11B with a fondness of radios, s#!t happens.

Yes ... especially when you act with out thinking, or considering all the information readily available to you. You made that mistake twice yesterday. You may want to use today to do a bit of reflective learning.

Yes ... especially when you act with out thinking, or considering all the information readily available to you. You made that mistake twice yesterday. You may want to use today to do a bit of reflective learning.

Jesus, get off your high horse already, guy. If you really feel the need to continue with your crap, take it to pm. In the mean time, I am going to continue to have my own opinion, if you don't like it you can go pound sand.

Jesus, get off your high horse already, guy.

You've got quite a mouth considering that you were wrong and way off from the outset. You might do well to follow Jon's advice and reflect on how you come across.

Meanwhile, it might not be a bad thing if this thread was locked if nothing more useful is forthcoming.

Michael

You've got quite a mouth considering that you were wrong and way off from the outset. You might do well to follow Jon's advice and reflect on how you come across.

Meanwhile, it might not be a bad thing if this thread was locked if nothing more useful is forthcoming.

Michael

Dude, I clearly stated that I made a mistake and misinterpreted the OP's intent. I am under no obligation to explain myself to you, and at this point, I honestly could careless about what you think. If you really have an ax to grind, by all means, pm me. Meanwhile, it might not be a bad thing if you take a break from derailing the thread.

Mike -

That is fine by me. No one seems to know if there is a master list nor where one would be kept. I've written the Signal Corps Musuem to see if they have the material or know where it may be.

This is proving more difficult than I thought for radio net call signs 65 years old!

Back off people. Angryson wasn't all that off base and doesn't warrant all the snide remarks, much less from folks who should know better.

You really deploying to Ramadi? I thought that had been ceremoniously handed back to the IA.

I guess I need to finish up my downtown Ramadi map soon (2 years in the works and counting!) and send it over so you can mark it up.

Back off people. Angryson wasn't all that off base and doesn't warrant all the snide remarks, much less from folks who should know better.

You really deploying to Ramadi? I thought that had been ceremoniously handed back to the IA.

I guess I need to finish up my downtown Ramadi map soon (2 years in the works and counting!) and send it over so you can mark it up.

Thank you.

To answer your question, yes. As far as I know we are still there in an advisory role.

Well you and your troops take care of yourselves -- I assume you'll be in lovely Camp Ramadi (I think they call it something else now), outside town.

Ever since the Dulaym sheikhs turned on Al Qaeda in Sept 2006, things have got a lot better in Anbar. I think as part of the truce with Baghdad the local IA and police units are largely local Sunni boys, so the population isn't very tolerant of insurgents trying to IED them (or civilians). On the other hand, car bomb attacks seem to be on the rise again lately, although that might be just the usual commie MSM whining. Keep your stay in any Iraqi government buildings short, sweet and away from windows....

If you're interested, I can send you a text file containing a chronological history of the nasty phase of the Battle of Ramadi (2004-2007) -- it's basically a dump of press clips and other stuff I'm using as source material for my Ramadi scenarios.

God speed!