So that's why I am so tired every day!

tooz

Mmmmm BEEER! ....BAD burp.gif

3824.gif

Nethergate Old Growler

Porter 5.0 % abv

Our famous porter has won at the CAMRA winter festival twice, the only brewery to do so, first in 1998 and again in 2003, also winning the highest accolade Supreme Champion in 2003. Also Supreme Champion at the Chicago International Beer Festival in 2004, in the porter category. A complex, satisfying porter, smooth and distinctive. Roast malt and fruit feature in the palate. The finish is powerfully hoppy with a hint of liquorice.

Sometimes available as Growler Extra, at 5.5 % abv.

Tooz,

I suggest changing your doctor, or just ignoring him/her and try having a beer or two and see what happens.

I used to suffer with gout very badly. My doctor put me on a drug called Allopurinol - two tablets taken once a day. I haven't had even a twinge since I started taking it, and I can eat and drink what I like.

Being a homebrewer, I'm normally a big advocate of the health benefits of beer. Unfortunately, this is one of the exceptions.

It's been pretty conclusively shown that beer is more likely to cause or exacerbate gout than other types of alcoholic beverages. The culprit is thought to be the relatively high purine levels in beer; purine is a chemical that is known to break down into uric acid in the body. The purine in beer comes from residual yeast in the beverage. Brewer's Yeast is a wonderfully nutritious substance in many ways -- lots of B complex vitamins, healthy proteins, etc. It's sold in health food stores as a nutritional supplement, actually. But purine is not so good for gout sufferers.

So unfortunately, your doctor is probably giving you good advice when he says that need to severely limit, or even completely cut beer out of your diet. Wine and spirits, which usually have much lower purine levels than beer, have been shown to have less of an effect on gout than beers. So you may be able to get away with drinking more of these. The link between gout and alcohol intake in general (as opposed to beer specifically) is actually tenuous at best; There is very little evidence conclusively linking the two. Though the fact that alcohol tends to lead to overindulgence in other ways is creates an indirect link -- if boozing up makes you overindulge in rich, fatty food, then that's obviously not good for your gout.

All this said, gout is a highly individual disease and there are a broad range of environmental, genetic, and lifestyle factors that are known to have an effect on the disease. So drinking beer may or may not actually have much of an effect for you personally. And if you follow other regimens to keep the disease under control, you might be able to drink beer in moderation. If you do decide to try to keep some beer in your diet, theoretically lighter, filtered beers with lower residual yeast content (and therefore lower purine) should have less of an effect on gout. So avoid heavy ales and cloudy wheat beers at all costs as these have a lot of yeast in them. But you might be OK with a very crisp, clear, lager.

As always, discuss with your doctor...

Cheers,

YD

Yankee Dog--great advice thanks! Back to light Beer then, hmmm. Maybe more tequila?

Blackcat: yep, I am now taking one Allopurinol pill (300mg) per day now that my last attack has abated.

I do feel a lot better and now will try more wine than beer--but still in moderation. Thanks guys!

What is odd is that while on this I cannot drink grapefruit juice. My new diet now contains a list of no-nos which are foods generally thought to be good for you.

I suspect your doctor told you to stay away from grapefruit juice because it will interact with your medication, whereas the other list of no-nos is probably related to how it will affect your case of gout. Grapefruit juice is to be avoided because it increases the amount of medication that your body will absorb, thereby causing you to unwittingly overdose. 'Tis true for many medications.

Tooz,

Good to know you are feeling better and over the hump.

In my experience Allopurinol is a wonder drug as far as gout goes. I have been on two 100mg tablets a day for some years and, as I say, eating and drinking what I want without a problem. So you should be fine for a few beers now and again.

That said, I thought Yankee Dog's post was interesting. As a true Englishman I never have any truck with lighter, filtered beers and seldom if ever drink any brew that isn't "live". A good pint of proper bitter served at 54 degrees, you can't beat it.

Blackcat--I have read about gout on various websites that claim that light beer does not lessen the bouts of gout(there is so much info contradicts other info). I have resigned myself to giving up my favorite non-filtered ale--Apricot Ale from Pyramid Brewery in Oregon. Goodbye to Hoegaarden as well. Now its Czechvar (or Budvar) and Stella Artois--in moderation of course.

One real interesting positive effect of my meds is that for years I have been suffering with an arthritic right hip. I thought 36+ years of being an Ice hockey goalie was to blame. The pain would be so bad that I was only able to sleep on my left side. For the first time in 10+ years I can sleep on my right side without pain. Amazing. They say gout affects joints, and the hip is a very large joint.

I still get fatigued, but then again I am over 50 so this is not a real surprise.

Cool.

Tooz,

Really good news about now being able to sleep on your right side. Maybe your gout had been around for a lot longer than you thought.

I know I am a solid real ale man, and therefore may be seen to biased, but please, for your own sake, don't start on the Stella. That stuff has something seriously weird in it that causes all sorts of unpleasant behavioural changes. It should be banned by international convention.

On a happier note, getting fatigued when one is over fifty is not necessarily a bad thing. I find it enables me to get away with an awful lot. For a start, I have been able to read, and so learn more, since I became "too old" than at any time since I was a child - and now I have the experience to appreciate the opportunity.

Of course, a lot of the time I can't remember why I wanted to know in the first place or cannot be bothered to summon up the energy to do something with my new knowledge. Nonetheless there is a great deal of pleasure to be had.

Blackcat, the Doc thinks I have had this for over ten years judging by my high uric acid readings. As far as energy goes, the more weight I lose the more energy I have. Unfortunately I live in Wisconsin. Right now I am not too enthused about wondering about outside in 6 degree weather...

Mace,

Apologies for the delay in replying to your question, I was out at the rugger all day yesterday (great result for England and made even better because I had a bet on that they would win by ten points or more) and have only just seen your post.

I don't know where your Woodend is and maybe the Stella sold in your part of the world is different than the stuff we get here in darkest Sussex. However, I have noted over many years how nasty, and even violent, otherwise amiable men get when they have a few pints of Stella. One chap in my village local suffered particularly badly and was "perusaded" to change brews. Thereafter, though his alcohol intake remained the same his behaviour was much, much nicer (the pub no longer sells Stella, by the way).

Not all brews are equal and simple alcohol content is not a guarantee of effect.