So that's why I am so tired every day!

tooz

I have been diagnosed with gout. My doctor told me that I must have had this for some time. Are there any other forum members out there that are also suffering with gout?

Any advice would be welcome. The worst thing about changing my diet is that I have to avoid beer! I am hoping against hope that there is some beer out there that will not aggravate my symptoms.

Life without beer? Perish the thought!

Yep I had an attack, my first last year in January. Too much rich food possibly but also quite possibly some elderly mince beef. Fortunately I have only had two slight attacks since. The most recent about two weeks ago when I had it in a thumb joint rather than the traditional big toe of the right foot. I believe that the attack was as a result of having a large bowl of thick pea soup which of course would be full of purines.

I cannot prove it but unless I had unknowingly bruised the side of my thumb then I am pretty sure that was it.

It is unlucky that your doctor has said you must have suffered for some time a he must have seen where the uric acid crystals have dmaged the joints. For those who have not suffered the pain is like someone sticking a needle in the joint and is waggling about when you put any pressure on the area. Unfortunately it is not an accupuncture needle but a large jagged one. It is less painful if you do not put pressure on - then it is simply athrobbing pain.

As I was not sure what it was I put my foot up to rest it and manage to slow my blood to give a DVT to compound the fun!. Drink plenty, and avoid the triggers. In the US getting things other than sodas is not easy. Here in the UK we can get cordials easily but in may be trickier in Wisconsin.

http://www.bottlegreen.co.uk/Home

What we can buy. Elderflower is a big favourite and you can easily make your own. Wiki says:

The flowers of Sambucus nigra are used to produce elderflower cordial. The French and Central Europeans produce elderflower syrup, commonly made from an extract of elderflower blossoms, which is added to pancake (Palatschinken) mixes instead of blueberries. People throughout much of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe use a similar method to make a syrup which is diluted with water and used as a drink. Based on this syrup, Fanta marketed a soft drink variety called "Shokata" which was sold in 15 countries worldwide. In the United States, this French elderflower syrup is used to make elderflower marshmallows. Wines, cordials and marmalade have been produced from the berries. In Italy (especially in Piedmont) and Germany the umbels of the elderberry are batter coated, fried and then served as a dessert or a sweet lunch with a sugar and cinnamon topping.

More info here

http://www.elderberries.com/elderberry-sambucus-info/

http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_sanic4.pdf

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SANIC4

and apparently the elderberry has more goodness than most fruit, particularly the flavanoids.

There appear to also be extravagant[possibly] claims on how good elderberry is but I think we can assume that chasing an honest! dollar may have lead to some embroidery and dubious offerings.

Using the flowers to make a nice cordial to dilute water and the berries for pies etc is probaly good fun. If you are going to have to give up beer and drink plenty!!!!

Fingers crossed you have no more attacks.

In case it isn't completely clear from context the cordials being referred to are UK usage which are (typically) fruit concentrates diluted to taste with water, rather than alcoholic drinks (which I believe is the normal US understanding).

I discovered this when a visiting American raised an eyebrow at my bottle of Roses Lime Cordial on my desk. She thought it was rather brazen.

Thanks, as always for the help. Has anyone used plenty of cherries in their diet with any effect? I will see my doctor again tomorrow and ask. The main problem with medicine are all the theories that conflict and contradict.

...hmmm, there is a store that sells Cherry beer...

Thanks, as always for the help. Has anyone used plenty of cherries in their diet with any effect? I will see my doctor again tomorrow and ask. The main problem with medicine are all the theories that conflict and contradict.

...hmmm, there is a store that sells Cherry beer...

Plenty of Belgian fruit beers around. But I think the issue with gout is alcohol itself, not beer per se.

Has anyone used plenty of cherries in their diet with any effect?

Er, yes...but it may not be an effect that you are eager for. Several years ago, someone gave me a bag of home grown cherries. Shortly thereafter, my girlfriend and I tried them and found them to be the most delicious we'd ever had, so we ate about a dozen each and went to sleep.

About four hours later I awoke to the most urgent rumblings from my lower colon. I raced to the bathroom, just barely beating my girlfriend by mere seconds. Ah, sweet relief! But she is now banging on the door yelling that if I don't get off the pot RIGHT NOW, she is going to kick down the door and do it in my lap!

Later that day, I sadly tossed the remaining cherries into the garbage. They really were good, but I really didn't need a laxative.

Michael

Go vegan and your problems will go away.

That sh$t isn't funny. Dude has a problem and you promote going vegan? Why don't you just hand him a pistol, tell him his life is over and step back? Or just punch him in the nuts and call him a little girl?

Having a buddy go through gout, you may have to cut back on the beer. Talk to your doctor/ nutritionist to see what sort of dietary changes you can make to help your health. Offhand I would say green, leafy veggies and chicken. You can make plenty of yummy dinners with grilled chicken. I like to grill chicken breasts and then make my own dressing with quality olive oil to offset my unhealthy lifestyle.

funny thread :)

I was diagnosed with gout 30 yrs ago as a 20 yr old!

The only thing I knew about it at the time was it happened to fat old Englishmen who drank too much Madeira and ate too much rare beef so they had to sit in big armchairs with their feet swathed in bandages!!

Not being one of those (then...) it actually went away for reasons I don't recall....but certainly had little or nothing to do with cutting back alcohol consumption!!

I have a slightly arthritic toe every now and then these days still and that's all the remnant of it.

Vegetables aren't sentient. How would you like it if you were slaughtered?

If I ever end up brain dead and the doctors are going to pull the plug, feel free. Although I think they'll take up any useful organs and tissues first since I've signed a donor card, but I'm sure there'll be some left overs. You wouldn't leave good meat for maggots, would you?

Wicky--you're the best!

I just made it through a day of watching football without drinking a single beer. This is a first for me. I am heading back to the doctor this afternoon for more advice.

The really good news is that the medicine I am taking--colchicine--is working very, very well. What is odd is that while on this I cannot drink grapefruit juice. My new diet now contains a list of no-nos which are foods generally thought to be good for you.

Sure could go for a beer right about now...