Quick Javelin query

pcelt

There is no AT backblast in CMSF, so all AT weapons can be fired from anywhere. This seems to be a concession to the fact that there are no interior rooms modeled, which would dictate where you could safely fire.

That's true for the REDFOR anti-tank RPGs and the REDFOR/BLUEFOR portable one-shot unguided anti-tank weapons, Ryujin, but not for the REDFOR ATGMs. You can't deploy them inside buildings, AFAIK, due to their lack of soft launching.

Can RPG's or AT4's soft launch? Or is the back blast radius to small to matter?

I am really hoping beyond hope that they have the old CMx1 effect in the CMX2 WWII games, where there was a chance of setting the room on fire if fired indoors.

Mord.

Can RPG's or AT4's soft launch? Or is the back blast radius to small to matter?

I am really hoping beyond hope that they have the old CMx1 effect in the CMX2 WWII games, where there was a chance of setting the room on fire if fired indoors.

Mord.

AT4 has a mod involving a slug of water that disipates the back blast.

youtube soft launch video

Yes its Future weapons so hardly a "technical" program lmao

That's true of American AT4 but not Russian AT-4. When mentioning the weapons people always either accidentally forget or include that pesky hyphen ;)

There's several old RPG-7 operators manuals online that explain just how much room behind you need to fire from an interior. Its not something to do from inside a closet, that's for sure!

That's true for the REDFOR anti-tank RPGs and the REDFOR/BLUEFOR portable one-shot unguided anti-tank weapons, Ryujin, but not for the REDFOR ATGMs. You can't deploy them inside buildings, AFAIK, due to their lack of soft launching.

The M136, RPG-7, RPG-29, LAW, etc really don't soft launch either (keep in mind the US doesn't issue the AT4CS).

The RPG-7 needs about 20m of open space (60 degree cone I think?) behind the shooter for the launching charge (the main rocket fires later).

The M136 on the other hand is said to have a danger area of 100m back in a 90 degree cone. I think you might be able to get away with a wall closer that (as I haven't been able to find exact details on how much, if any, is just caution area fr fly debris).

The LAW appears to need 10m or something.

Generally speaking most buildings don't have rooms big enough to safely fire anything without soft launching. You can however use tricks such as knocking down walls or firing for a position where the backblast will go out a window.

Agreed....I tend to not read the comments on any of the video web sites as only the retards seem to have something to say.

More on topic there is supposedly a video in which an insurgent fires an RPG from a room or balcony and the back blast blows him out the room. Reguardless the back blast of most of these weapons is something not to be messed with.

• 4 weeks later...

And considering that a NATO AT4 is an 88mm rocket, and that I've got a pair of trousers with the polyester threads singed out of one side of the right leg, the NATO AT4 isn't much fun to shoot inside a building either. Now if you're in an auditorium or a long hallway, go ahead. but if you're in a bedroom, you'd be better to wait for the tank to pass by a couple dozen meters, then lean out the window and let the back blast go straight into the outside air. then drop the worthless tube and duck back inside quick!