Looking for British Movies

Pandur

hey there, nomaly i verry rarely post in the GDF but here i am.

so i am advancing my english skills mainly through forums and english movies as i am long out of shool.

i used to watch american movies of all sorts and i still do(didnt saw a german dubed movie in years) wich left me speaking californian english for the most part. i watched some vids on youtube wich show different dialects from all over the US and the californian one was the one i recognized the most.

now i watched movies like "green street hooligans"(the one with Frodo as a brawler, priceless), and the 2nd part of it.

i saw "rise of a footsoldier(also partly about football hools)" and some others and i really dig the british english. this is really nice, its so close to german its unbelivable, its pronounced really hard and short for the most part. this oxford like english they tried to feed us in shool just didnt cut it for me.

anyways i am looking for more brit movies where i can advance my british english skills. are there some you can reccomend?

i am open for everything but romance and such boring stuff.

Trainspotting

any Monty Python

If...

Saturday Night and Sunday morning

The Long Good Friday

A Matter of Life and Death

Lock, stock and two smoking barrels

Kes

Withnail and I

Alfie

A Fish called Wanda

Billy Elliot

Brassed Off

I.D.

Excalibur

Get Carter

Remains of the Day

Boys from the Blackstuff

Trainspotting

any Monty Python

If...

Saturday Night and Sunday morning

The Long Good Friday

A Matter of Life and Death

Lock, stock and two smoking barrels

Kes

Withnail and I

Alfie

A Fish called Wanda

Billy Elliot

Brassed Off

I.D.

Excalibur

Get Carter

Remains of the Day

Boys from the Blackstuff

oi :D i see i saw some good ones long time ago in german. that was trainspotting, many monty python things and a fish called wanda. all the others i dont know at all and i will rewatch at least trainspotting and the monty stuff as this was really good in german and i need to see it in english. thanks for the big list!

Snatch

ah yes, i think i saw this one too in german around the time it came out but its been long enough to watch it again as it was meant to be seen.

to add, i have seen most episodes of "The IT Crowd" i could get my hands on and it was and is simply perfect. i liked that one verry much.

After Cilla Black and Brookside the nation couldn't take scouser culture anymore, and it has fallen into disrepute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VspOs3Qt0

After that skit I recommend as an antidote (must all be seen back-to-back, without any breaks.):

My Fair Lady

Mary Poppins

Sound of Music

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Genevieve

A Bridge Too Far, Lawrence of Arabia

saw both of them in english bout a year ago, especially lawrence of arabia is a MASTERPICE, not to downplay ABTF but lawrence is just superb.

scouser

whats this? i watched the vid on youtube and had trouble understanding it throughout...it seems they are somehow making the 3rd guy down becouse he was in england for a match and they seem to be scotts or so...? is this video playing around with the differences between the english, welsh, scottish and so on?

i understand the worst rednecks on US movies better then this guys, i need to watch more of this to get used to it.

Help or Hard Day's Night

i got both tracks on my HDD but are there movies too named like that or you mean the music tracks?

whats this? i watched the vid on youtube and had trouble understanding it throughout...it seems they are somehow making the 3rd guy down becouse he was in england for a match and they seem to be scotts or so...? is this video playing around with the differences between the english, welsh, scottish and so on?

i understand the worst rednecks on US movies better then this guys, i need to watch more of this to get used to it.

Heh, We all have trouble understanding scousers! Scousers are from Liverpool so are english but there is a bit of a North/south divide in england (Northerners are Monkeys/Southerners are Fairys). We all grow up down south with plenty of jokes about northerners and they do the same about us :D

The thing about the UK is that some accents are completely incomprehensible - it is depressing not being able to understand a guy who is speaking english and lives less than 50 miles away! (The Cornish or the Welsh for me). In fact, I used to work with some scottish guys who where perfectly capable of not being understood if they wanted to.

In terms of films, Hot Fuzz is awesome, RocknRolla is worth watching and who could fail to mention James Bond! :P

HAHA, ok i understand! we have similar stuff going on here. i just watched some more of the Scousers vids, especialy "Harry Enfield - The Scousers Visit London". saw this one twice now...this is pretty funny, and when i can understand the guys they are talking with, its much easier to get what they are saying.

in the vid, The Scousers Visit London, when they head back to the bus and meet the pimp and the 2 other bullies...are the pimp and the bullies speaking london accent? this is what i meant in the beginning, its nearly prounounced as you pronounce german. short and hard, i like that accent a lot.

Heh, We all have trouble understanding scousers! Scousers are from Liverpool so are english but there is a bit of a North/south divide in england (Northerners are Monkeys/Southerners are Fairys). We all grow up down south with plenty of jokes about northerners and they do the same about us :D

Isn't it about time you guys had another civil war? I mean, the last one was what, 350 years ago? No wonder your society has become so sluggish. You need to get in there and mix it up, shed some blood, blow up a few things.

;)

Michael

this is what i meant in the beginning, its nearly prounounced as you pronounce german. short and hard, i like that accent a lot.

Hmmm, you might try listening to this:

She is from London. Whether or not you'd call hers a typical London accent I couldn't tell you. To me it sounds like a middle class educated accent.

Michael

Pandur,

In Bruges, The Dam Busters, 633 Squadron, Sink the Bismarck, The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, Bridge Over the River Kwai, The Man Who Would Be King, Henry V (both Olivier and Branagh versions), The Cruel Sea, Zulu Dawn, H.M.S. Ulysses, The Lost Battalion (stars Niven), In Which We Serve. Also, many goodies here, but you'll have to do some research to make sure they're British.

http://submarinemovies.com/movies-all-titles-A-Z.html

Regards,

John Kettler

in the vid, The Scousers Visit London, when they head back to the bus and meet the pimp and the 2 other bullies...are the pimp and the bullies speaking london accent? this is what i meant in the beginning, its nearly prounounced as you pronounce german. short and hard, i like that accent a lot.

Yep, thats an east london accent. Watch Guy Ritchie films like Snatch, Lock Stock, Revolver, RocknRolla etc and you'll get a lot of it :)

Isn't it about time you guys had another civil war? I mean, the last one was what, 350 years ago? No wonder your society has become so sluggish. You need to get in there and mix it up, shed some blood, blow up a few things.

Michael

If its north v south we would blow up the Midlands - I can deal with that ;)