v1.21 Eligible Artillery/CAS Observers

Like many others, the artillery and CAS observer changes in v1.21 have caught my attention. As noted elsewhere, all BLUFOR units are no longer capable of directing arty/CAS. That, in and of itself is no problem, but I am struggling to frame the rationale behind the new hierarchy determining who can and cannot direct "off-board" assets.

For example:

• US Army MG Crews cannot - UK and USMC MG Crews can
  • Armored Cav M707 Crew cannot - IBCT M707 Crew can
  • M3 CFV Crews cannot - M2 IFV Crews can
  • UK Sniper Teams cannot - US Sniper Teams can

What are the new eligibility parameters meant to reflect?

Like many others, the artillery and CAS observer changes in v1.21 have caught my attention. As noted elsewhere, all BLUFOR units are no longer capable of directing arty/CAS. That, in and of itself is no problem, but I am struggling to frame the rationale behind the new hierarchy determining who can and cannot direct "off-board" assets.

For example:

• US Army MG Crews cannot - UK and USMC MG Crews can
  • Armored Cav M707 Crew cannot - IBCT M707 Crew can
  • M3 CFV Crews cannot - M2 IFV Crews can
  • UK Sniper Teams cannot - US Sniper Teams can

What are the new eligibility parameters meant to reflect?

I haven't checked this, but if i'm not mistaken anyone who has gone through the warrior leadership course (corporals and above) know how to call in a basic fire mission.

Interesting point Tyrspawn - thanks!

After a quick check, it appears you may be correct with a few exceptions. UK Sniper Teams/USMC Javelin Teams are Lance Corporals/Corporals and cannot direct arty/CAS.

If you are right, this touch adds a nice little wrinkle to the BLUFOR capabilities or perhaps newfound lack thereof.

i found the abilety to call in fire can "shift" from "normal" to "denied" in mid battle for the "whole" force.

i started TF thunder a new short befor 1.21. i had a save in mission 1 in a command phase. i loaded the save and checked if i can call arty after i read bout it in the forums here, i could not at all.

ok since i was only a few turns into mission 1 i started the campain new to see if it fixes this. the first 5 turns or so, not sure exactly, i could call the 82mm mortar but as soon as my 155mm arty arived i had another look and suddenly i could no longer call in any support at all.

means, that the abilety to call for support can, as said, shift from allowed to denied in mid battle without me noticeing anything special or a sudden change in C2 or whatever. it just goes to denied.

that tells me that one cannot say for sure what on blue side is able to call arty and what not becouse there is some wild variable at work. sometimes you can call in support with everyone and sometimes you can not at all.

thats what it looks to me at least.

It sounds like everyone has it covered but just for realisms sake. Every crew member on a M3 CFV would know how to call for fire from AIT onwards. While its normally handled by an NCO scouts are taught that a scout with a map, radio and fire support is a invaluable asset.

I can remember spending many, many hours practicing calling for fires in the simulator as a private.

i think that this is a bug too, all my blue scenarios and campains i play are at a halt right now :D

funny enough the red arty works perfect, and in a much more beliveable way now, but somehow blue arty is broke now at certain times.

not so bad for me as iam a red on red fan anyways and i enjoy playing red with the new arty rules even more then i did befor.

but this cant stay like that, all the blue players must be pissed somehow. i wonder why we dont get any update on this and what could cause this.

Reminder... save games should be completed in the version they were started in. We make no guarantees that a save game file will behave correctly in a different version than the one it was started in. This seems to be an example of why we recommend this :D

I will speak with Charles about re-instituting version checks and to prevent earlier saves loading in later versions. I don't remember why this was removed, but it looks like we should revisit that decision.

Steve

thats weird, becouse it got nothing to do with a savegame here. as i wrote above, i ran into the problem in a old save, thats right, but after that i started TF thunder a new as i was in mission 1 at that point.

and with a new TF thunder game i ran into the same problem at the point the 155mm arty arived as reinforcements.

i gona fire it up once more for good, maybe i only "planed" to start TF thunder a new but did not, that could well be, i give it a shot.

thx, at least i know now that problem is at my end somewhere...and yes its saying 1.21 in the main menue, so patching worked it seems.