Oi sound gooderer than youse

JonS

Link

Kiwis have the most socially attractive English accent outside of the motherland, eh.

According to a BBC survey, the New Zealand accent is one of most charming and prestigious English accents outside of Britain.

I knew that avoiding elocution lessons for all those years would eventually pay off.

The charming bit I can get. Anything exotic can be charming. But prestigious?

I'm not so sure about charming either. That accent (and the Ozzie one too) always puts me in mind of hacking one's way through a mosquito infested jungle and wrestling with giant boas.

Now if you are looking for charm, try an Irish accent. But since the poll was conducted in the UK, I imagine the prejudice against anything Irish is still running pretty high.

Michael

Standard English, Scottish and Irish were rated top in the survey, which was analysed by researchers from the University of Wales Centre for Language and Communication Research.

New Zealand English rated highly for both attractiveness and prestige.

It was the sixth most "socially attractive" accent, ahead of the Queen's English and well ahead of Australian in 13th and American English in 15th place.

New Zealand ranked 7th on prestige, above American English in 8th and Australian which came in at 11th. The Queen's English got the highest ranking for prestige.

It helps to read the article sometimes : )

You gotta laugh.

The Kiwi habit of ending their sentences with "eh" on the end makes you wonder if they're all suffering from some form of hereditary deafness. It does get tiresome having to repeat oneself all the time or clarify whether they heard you correctly the first time.

Regards

KR

Queenslanders do that too, ay?

Think of it as a "Can I get an Amen?!", or "Know what I mean?". It's heaps good eh.