How long does a Kornet take to set up?

noxnoctum

We are definitely adjusting the times, however the AT-14 will still be a bit longer to set up than the rest. The reason is that it has thermal optics, which require at least 30 seconds to cool before they can be used. At least that's the guess we're making now because we haven't seen a cooling time listed for the AT-14.

Steve

Kornet doesn't have a "soft launch" capability. Without that the crew would likely be incapacitated (or killed) due to the concussion from firing within a contained space. Even if they were just rattled, it would mean being unable to guide the missile. Obviously that's not a good thing :) It's one of the additional advantages of the Javelin.

Steve

Something fires a fuel-air warhead in the game but I can't recall what off the top of my head. Might be one of the latest-generation RPG-7 rounds used by special forces. I haven't seen a marked difference in-game, except its useless against tanks and sucks as HE when used in the open. :)

Alex,

I'm sure an experienced crew can set it up in 1 minute. The question is how long does it take for the thermals to cool down? We're 99% sure this is required but we do not know the details. Do you have any information about this?

MikeyD,

We have thermobaric RPG rounds in the game. We do not have any ATGM thermobarics as far as I can recall. Syria would be unlikely to spend the money on them IMHO.

Steve

2 Steve

I would like to know ;-)

I no longer insist that set up time for KORNET ATMG must take place for 1 minute or less.

To the question about thermobarics ammunitions, a long ago did want to ask, and why did not you add to the game of RPO-A "Shmel" disposable thermobaric grenade launcher? Although I do not have information about that, whether there is a similar weapon at Syria, but also reverse to assert it is probably impossible...

I had to look up that weapon in wikipedia. It says Shmel is fielded in Russia, China, Sri Lanka, and Lebanon. That's an odd assortmet of countries! I suppose Sri Lanka and Lebanon, they aren't exactly talking government forces.

Oh, I forgot - doesn't the Marine SMAW use a thermobaric round in the game too?

AT-14 / 9K135 Kornet

Launcher weight, kg 26

Thermal sight weight, kg 11

Guidance system semiautomatic laser beam riding

Missile weight (with container), kg 29

Sources:

http://warfare.ru or http://issuu.com/ufobject/docs/russian_weapons_catalog

A firing unit consisting of launcher, thermal sight and a single missile container weigh 65 kg and can be installed and ready for action in 3 minutes, operated by 3 men.

Source:

http://www.defense-update.com/products/k/kornet-e.htm

In its basic form, the Kornet missile is fired from a tripod-mounted single-round firing post designated the 9P163-1. The manufacturer and supplier of the AT-14 Kornet (KBP Instrument Design Bureau) for Syria says nothing, of course :rolleyes:

http://www.kbptula.ru/eng/atgw/kornet.htm

The AT-14 Kornet thermal sight is designated KORNET-TP or 1PN80. The manufacturer is the Research and Production Association-State Institute of Applied Optics (NPO GIPO).

Source with some technical information, but not the cooling time for the thermal imager:

http://milparade.udm.ru/18/42-45.htm

So the only source I've found, says it takes 3 minutes to deploy an AT-14 Kornet. And for all this kind of wire-guided weapons, remember that the tripod must be more or less level for effective operation. If the tripod is not level, lateral (azimuth) movement produces a change in the elevation angle of the launch tube (the same principle works for the tank's gun when in a slope), so acquiring and tracking the target may be difficult. Probably there are some kind of level indicators with a bubble in the tripod legs for adjusting to the ideal firing position, and this operation takes some time. In a training range, I believe the tripod is previously prepared for not having to adjust a single leg... One minute afterwards and there it goes the missile! :P

Cheers,

Lomir

2 Steve

I would like to know ;-)

I no longer insist that set up time for KORNET ATMG must take place for 1 minute or less.

To the question about thermobarics ammunitions, a long ago did want to ask, and why did not you add to the game of RPO-A "Shmel" disposable thermobaric grenade launcher? Although I do not have information about that, whether there is a similar weapon at Syria, but also reverse to assert it is probably impossible...

Alex, this thing is, what practical value would it bring over good old RPG-7?

We don't know if Syria has it or not and in reality would solders want to carry a disposable one-shot Shmel when they could instead get RPG-7 with thermobaric warhead and some anti-tank warheads?

Sure, it is a cool thing, but really, it's like LAW or AT4. One shot and it's over.

That would be the RPG-29, nisi fallor.* I could be wrong, though.

By the way, greetings to all! I picked up CM:SF for $5 in a bargain bin (shameful really, but very lucky) about two years ago and realized it was the realistic military game I'd waited years for. I've lurked in this forum off-and-on since, until recently when I purchased the two modules.

*'If I'm not mistaken,' as the Latin has it.

2 Dima

I remember we discussed this question already. I want only to remind that RPO Shmel is much more powerful, than TBG-7V and TBG-29V, and maximal distance of firing for RPO Shmel of 800m (aiming 600m) against 150m and 500m accordingly.

In general your preconceived attitude is not clear me toward non-permanent grenade launchers, they have undeniable advantages in mobility and simplicity of the use. For example I am very disordered by impossibility freely to use the grenade launcher of RPG-18 the Syrian army in a game.