Article on Canadian tank ops in Afghanistan

akd

I'm reminded of a Stryker MGS crewman bragging "Once the turret starts to rotate all hostile fire stops". Sounds like you don't need ubertanks in the infantry support role. You just need something sufficiently intimidating. Leopard C2 isn't very much more potent in the role than a well maintained and well crewed T-55. 105mm HE versus 100mm HE.

If I knew what the Canadian equivalent of "oohrah!" is, I would yell it. :D

Makes me look forward all the more to the NATO module

I'm reminded of a Stryker MGS crewman bragging "Once the turret starts to rotate all hostile fire stops". Sounds like you don't need ubertanks in the infantry support role. You just need something sufficiently intimidating.

Which in turn reminds me of this quote regarding the A-10 Warthog:

The F-15s and F-16s were good. The A-10s were absolutely fantastic. It is my favorite airplane. I love those people. If I had enough coins, I’d send one to every A-10 driver in the Air Force just to tell them how much I appreciate them because when those guys come down and they start those strafi ng runs, it is flat awesome. It is just flat awesome.

You can move, and when that A-10 starts his strafing run, you can do anything you want to do as a task force commander because the bad guy’s head is not coming off the hard deck. His head is not coming out of the ground. If he is in a hole, he is hugging Mother Earth and praying to whatever God he can to that he lives through this. You can maneuver anywhere you want to maneuver as long as that cannon is fi ring. As long as that A-10 is flying above you and turning and moving, you can do anything you want to do.

You could hear the roar of screams of joy when [the air liaison officer] would come over the radio and say, “I’ve got A-10s.” When the A-10s came in, first of all you could see them, second of all the control, the positive control, over what we were shooting with was absolutely phenomenal.

Lieutenant Colonel J.R. Sanderson,

commander, TF 2-69 AR

interview 12 May 2003 by Lieutenant Colonel David Mannin

as quoted in

On Point: The United States Army in Operation Iraqi Freedom

COL Gregory Fontenot, US Army, Retired

LTC E.J. Degen, US Army

LTC David Tohn, US Army

Sounds like you don't need something capable of supersonic flight and carrying half a dozen JDAMs. You just need something sufficiently intimidating. :D

On the other hand, an übertank is less likely to be knocked out by a single RPG. On the other other hand, if the Blue commander was (unlike me) tactically smart enough to keep his MGSs out of RPG range...