Floating Icons

I wanted to be able to tell by looking on a map which side was British and US forces. It was hard to tell when both sides of the forces were using blue floating icons. So I thought and thought and then decided to try by using different colors for the British and US forces.

Here is what I did, I made the British forces floating icons tan color and the US forces olivegreen color. See screenshot on what it looks like.

BritishandUSFloatingIcons.jpg

The problem that I have is the generic blue floating icons, right now they are blue which is C2, FOs and so on.

What do you guys think? Should I post them?

Oh and one other thing, when the NATO mod comes out it will also only have blue color icons for their forces so I will make changes to that to reflect the different countries in the NATO mod. Gray will be for the Germans, need to think what the Dutch and Canadians will have for their color icons.

Besides Stingray, no one else has a comment about or questions about what I did to make it easier to see which side the US and British are on the map instead of just having a blue floating icon?

Stingray I will be posting the modified floating icons by this weekend.

Oh and angreyson give me permission by sending to me the psd files to make the changes to it. Due to his work schedule in the US Army he doesn't have the time to make any changes or add any new icons. So I will take the ball and run with it for him.

Umm.... not sure if it's just my monitor, but that "tan" is suspiciously close to pink...

They do look nice though.

I stand corrected, my bad Apocal. Tan is 210-180-30 which is what I set it for when making the British icon but after looking again I miss it by that much to get the correct color. It is fixed now. However may change to Dark Khaki color which is 189-183-107 :)

Here is an update on the British and US Floating icons. After Apocal brought it to my attention on the color for the British, I made a mistake on the color code so I fixed it. See new screenshot.

screenshot.jpg

Will post tonight at the Repository the modified floating icons.

I just saw the posting from Mark about that he wish that it was a rectangle for the blue forces instead of circles. Well I just did an experiment and guess what, yes you can change the blue circles to rectangles :D I will be making some changes that will take me about a week to do it but should have it done by then. Will post a screenshot tomorrow showing some of them.

I just saw the posting from Mark about that he wish that it was a rectangle for the blue forces instead of circles. Well I just did an experiment and guess what, yes you can change the blue circles to rectangles :D I will be making some changes that will take me about a week to do it but should have it done by then. Will post a screenshot tomorrow showing some of them.

Actually don’t worry (or at least don’t do it on my account).

I just remembered that the QSTAG only requires the rectangle for units (say a Tank Tp), individual weapons systems are represented as you have it now (weapon symbol in a circle).

The only sticky thing might be infantry, where sections / squads do get a rectangle (but with the “.” size indicator) and since you can’t put the indicator on the top of the icon (I’m assuming) then what you currently have is fine. :)

Happy to change the “feedback post“ if you like?

Actually don’t worry (or at least don’t do it on my account).

I just remembered that the QSTAG only requires the rectangle for units (say a Tank Tp), individual weapons systems are represented as you have it now (weapon symbol in a circle).

The only sticky thing might be infantry, where sections / squads do get a rectangle (but with the “.” size indicator) and since you can’t put the indicator on the top of the icon (I’m assuming) then what you currently have is fine. :)

Happy to change the “feedback post“ if you like?

No problem can leave it as is.

Feldgrau it is then, thanks.

Just an idea I had. Come to think of it, though, since feldgrau is somewhat greenish and the color you've picked for US forces is a shade of green, an alternate option could be what might be called "Heer blue"". These are merely suggestions, of course. I appreciate the work you've done, and I will respect whatever colors you choose to use. :)

JohnO,

Hey, great work! I've just played a bit with these icons; they really add a bit of flavor. Thanks for doing this.

Now, the mandatory request: the British FV432 (Mark 3) Bulldog has an icon which I don't think is correct. My apologies in advance if I am mistaken. The icon is the same as that for an IFV, but with an underline and 3 circles underneath it. The 3 circles are reserved for wheeled cross-county vehicles, is it not? As well, the icon for APC's (as opposed to IFV's) is a "house" shape, rather than a diamond. If the lower chevron (with its point down) is removed, as well as the three circles, it would seem to be spot on.

Of course, all this is based on internet research. My most sincere apologies if I am wrong!

Regardless, you've done a lot of work and I appreciate how you've added to the immersion I get with this game.

Thanks,

Ken

JohnO,

Hey, great work! I've just played a bit with these icons; they really add a bit of flavor. Thanks for doing this.

Now, the mandatory request: the British FV432 (Mark 3) Bulldog has an icon which I don't think is correct. My apologies in advance if I am mistaken. The icon is the same as that for an IFV, but with an underline and 3 circles underneath it. The 3 circles are reserved for wheeled cross-county vehicles, is it not? As well, the icon for APC's (as opposed to IFV's) is a "house" shape, rather than a diamond. If the lower chevron (with its point down) is removed, as well as the three circles, it would seem to be spot on.

Of course, all this is based on internet research. My most sincere apologies if I am wrong!

Regardless, you've done a lot of work and I appreciate how you've added to the immersion I get with this game.

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks Ken, will take a look at it.

JohnO,

Thanks,

Ken

When I made the initial set, I thought that the icon was shared with some other vehicle. In any case it is an easy fix. It should share the same icon as the Sultan and the other Brit APC's, which have the correct APC "house" icon. I'm sure John can tackle it, I don't have the time for right now.