Floating Icons

Actually don’t worry (or at least don’t do it on my account).

I just remembered that the QSTAG only requires the rectangle for units (say a Tank Tp), individual weapons systems are represented as you have it now (weapon symbol in a circle).

The only sticky thing might be infantry, where sections / squads do get a rectangle (but with the “.” size indicator) and since you can’t put the indicator on the top of the icon (I’m assuming) then what you currently have is fine. :)

Happy to change the “feedback post“ if you like?

Actually, what I did was half and half in mine. Individual pieces of equipment, like weapon systems and vehicles I kept as circles similar to this. Squads I changed to rectangles. Command elements I used the rectangular infantry symbol with a staff and put "CMD" under it, as per the FM.

The only issue I have is that nearly all units are considered "infantry" by the program. I can't visually differenciate..or at least haven't been able to yet...between infantry squads and engineer squads. Also, general utility vehicles like HMMWV's also show up as infantry.

I like the color differences...when I get the Brit module, I'm definately going to incorporate that idea.

Good point about the infantry and engineer squads. Working with Steve and seeing about getting some changes to the floating icons. Any more ideas on what should be added or change to the floating icons. Not going to promise anything but it could be a start.

Also haven't posted the change the c3k mention, waiting on a new icon that I'm trying to build on the unknown contact icon.

Actually, what I did was half and half in mine. Individual pieces of equipment, like weapon systems and vehicles I kept as circles similar to this. Squads I changed to rectangles. Command elements I used the rectangular infantry symbol with a staff and put "CMD" under it, as per the FM.

The only issue I have is that nearly all units are considered "infantry" by the program. I can't visually differenciate..or at least haven't been able to yet...between infantry squads and engineer squads. Also, general utility vehicles like HMMWV's also show up as infantry.

I like the color differences...when I get the Brit module, I'm definately going to incorporate that idea.

I'm assuming that your using 2525 standard :D Would like to see what your command elements look like with the rectangles shape. As for the HMMWVs showing infantry icon that it is loaded with infantry. When you dismount them the icon for the HMMWV will change to the vehicle symbol.

I'm assuming that your using 2525 standard :D Would like to see what your command elements look like with the rectangles shape. As for the HMMWVs showing infantry icon that it is loaded with infantry. When you dismount them the icon for the HMMWV will change to the vehicle symbol.

sure...unfortunately I haven't been able to take a screen shot. Something about windows 7 isn't letting me. Anyway, it doesn't look bad...they were pretty quick and dirty rough designs, and my GIMP skills need a little work anyway, but the rectangular unit symbols integrated with the circular equipment symbols work really well. For the command elements I took my infantry symbol and shrunk it a little so the staff and command tag would have room. It all needs to be cleaned up a bit, but it isn't bad I don't think.

Yea, being able to put in the engineer symbols would really be helpful. With the HMMWV's, I'm not so sure about...I guess I can kind of understand where they were coming from, but at the same time, a lot of the missions, the vehicles are manned by a vehicle crew unit just like any other vehicle in the game anyway. Personally I think I would prefer the vehicle to just have its own symbol all the time ala the armored vehicles.

For the command elements I took my infantry symbol and shrunk it a little so the staff and command tag would have room. It all needs to be cleaned up a bit, but it isn't bad I don't think.

So next item on the wish list if you are going down that road:

Unit / HQ symbol for Tank Tp / PL, Sqn / Coy, Regt / Bn HQ vehicles?

So next item on the wish list if you are going down that road:

Unit / HQ symbol for Tank Tp / PL, Sqn / Coy, Regt / Bn HQ vehicles?

I think that would be a great idea. It would be really cool to look at the screen and have no confusion over icons. It would make great sense if a team sized element was marked appropriately, it would make real time play a little less frantic. The issue with the M1114 showing up as a rifle SQD is getting old, fast. I would think it would be a minor programming tweak, but I know zip about programming.

The other lingering query.

Why do the "MBT's" have three vertical lines?

All the symbology I've seen / used over the years (throughout ABCA / NATO) has had all current MBT's (including M1A2, Leo 2A6, T-90, etc.) with only two vertical lines?

Good question Mark, that can be changed to two vertical lines instead of three which is for heavy tank. I'm working on some of the other icons and will post soon with an update, but it will have to be when I get back from Ft. Campbell, KY. Getting ready to do some training there again. Keep posting up any more problems or issues.

OK so you have the "easy stuff" sorted. :)

How about some decision support graphics for the CT / BG HQ?

You know the nice box that shows that the BG has 2 x filled Triangles (for 2 x Tk Sqn), an unfilled Triangle (for the Recce Sqn) and a filled Rectangle (for the Mech Coy) along with the other status graphics? :) :)

Enjoy the trg. I'm off to our School of Armour next week too to put some would be Majors through their paces. :)

OK so you have the "easy stuff" sorted. :)

How about some decision support graphics for the CT / BG HQ?

You know the nice box that shows that the BG has 2 x filled Triangles (for 2 x Tk Sqn), an unfilled Triangle (for the Recce Sqn) and a filled Rectangle (for the Mech Coy) along with the other status graphics? :) :)

Enjoy the trg. I'm off to our School of Armour next week too to put some would be Majors through their paces. :)

Wouldn't that be in the briefing/operation order and not display on FBCB2? I haven't seen the decision graphics be displayed like that, now I could be wrong :D

The other lingering query.

Why do the "MBT's" have three vertical lines?

All the symbology I've seen / used over the years (throughout ABCA / NATO) has had all current MBT's (including M1A2, Leo 2A6, T-90, etc.) with only two vertical lines?

Because that is how they appear on the FBCB2. That was my intent when I created this mod, or rather the mod that JohnO is basing the colored icons off of.

All fire support teams appear blue, is that intentional? Anyway, this is one of my permamods now. Decided that much after about 30 seconds :)

Those icons are shared with all BLUFOR.

BTW, shameless shameless self-promotion here, if you want all BLUFOR icons to be blue check this thread. Or grab it here.

• 2 weeks later...