Questions about baked scenarios

I am running v1.20 all modules.

I wanted to use the new feature in editor - crew can be out of the vehicle. In my scenario i took one T-72 and dismounted crew to the house nearby. On the hill i put some sniper team to eliminate the crew when they will try to enter the vehicle. Because with normal AI plans i could not force the crew to enter the vehicle i tried to use baking and all orders there.

The crew is during baking back to the vehicle so i could not create above described situation...

Another question: i expected, that when i gave orders like in WEGO system after accomplishing them soldiers will follow AI plan running behind. Is it possible? Am i missing something? AI pland are not working in baked scenarios?

Later i played more with baking and i was not able to give target orders on the end of the orders (triangle) only smoke, cover arc, bail out, dismount etc. As i have understood i should be able to give multiple orders on one point or not??? Why not target order?

Thanx for any info.

I've got to admit, in all this time you may be the only person to think to bail a tank crew and run them into a house during a Baked game! :D I just tried it myself, and what-do-you-know, the Bail command is greyed out during Bake command phase! Who knew!

About Wego moves following your completed bake orders, unfortunately no. It would be the coolest thing in the world for that to happen, and I've lobbied for it myself. But the AI would need to know when to jump into Wego from Bake and apparently its not coded to recognize the transition.

You can get the AI to do some very cool stuff by Baking but its limitations are maddening. I suppose its biggest utility is if you want to make some super-cool FRAPS movies and have both side pre-programmed for the action. :o

I have posted on this topic before, and have found the limitations of Baked Scenarios frustrating, however, I have learned to work around them.

The AI forces that you have on map at the start of the scenario will not follow AI plans, although reinforcements will follow AI plans (you will have to wait at least 5 minutes for the first reinforcements to arrive - game limitation).

So, you can have the AI forces on map at the start of the scenario provide harrasing fire to slow the Player's advance until reinforcements arrive. One cool feature of Baked Scenarios is that you can have an AI artillery barrage arrive at a timed interval, rather than just at the beginning of the scenario.

Personally, I would have preferred that the Battlefront Team focus on increasing the functionality and usability of the Editor rather than on Quick Battles as their primary improvement to the engine for CM:Normandy. I get as much enjoyment out of designing Scenarios as I do playing them.

To MikeyD:

the plan was to have crew in house at the beggining and after 30 seconds let them run to the parking area to enter the vehicle to simulate alarm. In normal editor you can do it now, but we dont have AI for entering vehicles... So i wanted to use baked... I realiyed yesterday, that i can plan quite nice and efective attack!

I also agree that editor need more improvements and the whole circus around quick game is not worth it.

Question: How can i dismount soldiers from transport and let the transport later move? Now they dismount only at the last point in the path of the vehicle... Not enough...

Anyway thanx for info about plan for reinforcements! I will combine this together tonight!

I also agree that editor need more improvements and the whole circus around quick game is not worth it.

Personally, I agree.

I *hope* that editor improvements will, however, go along with the (monumental) tasks of, say, implementing the mega-tile system.

Best regards,

Thomm

Unfortunately, we are not going to support Baked scenarios from Normandy on. It was a compromise solution to a much better idea which, unfortunately, required a ton of programming to accommodate. We had hoped it would be "good enough", however we have come to the conclusion that they are too clunky, too restrictive, and too infrequently used to continue supporting.

They will remain a part of CM:SF, of course.

Steve

Unfortunately, we are not going to support Baked scenarios from Normandy on. It was a compromise solution to a much better idea which, unfortunately, required a ton of programming to accommodate. We had hoped it would be "good enough", however we have come to the conclusion that they are too clunky, too restrictive, and too infrequently used to continue supporting.

They will remain a part of CM:SF, of course.

Steve

Such a shame it couldn't have worked out better...It will be interesting to see how you solve the dilemma of having enemy AI units "acquire" things from vehicles....This new functionality will make the AI a more formidable opponent when they can utilize all their resources properly.