Rise of Flight

Joe Shaw

The War Hawks ... http://www.war-hawks.net/ ... are a flight sim squadron of mature enthusiasts who play several sims online but the newest and most promising of those is the WWI flight sim, Rise of Flight.

Not only is it a very pretty game, but it has an excellent flight and damage model.

3819982169_f42df78ca5_b.jpg?imgmax=640

Drop by and take a look, we'd be happy to give you chapter and verse.

Joe

Man, I so want to get this - I fondly remember my Red Baron 3D days, and it has been a long time coming to get a great other WW1 sim - however its minimum hardware specs makes it a given I will have to spend about 1200 dollars, maybe a bit less, on a new rig - my 2004 rig is not up to speed, even though it was built with Il-2 Sturmovik through Pacific Fighters in mind.

Rise of Flight has continuous DRM - apparently you have to be logged on to play it at all.

OFF seems a labour of love with many times the aircraft of RoF but it is not designed outright for multiplayer, The background detail is enormous with hundreds of squadrons etc.

Yeah, the DRM for ROF is a "deal killer" for some, but it's a lovely game and since I need to be online to play multi-player anyway ... {shrug} ... YMMV as always.

OFF is based on the CFS3 engine so you have to have that as well and, of course, the engine is a bit dated.

Currently ROF has four aircraft that come stock out of the box, the SPAD XIII, the Fokker DVII, the Nieuport 28 and the Albatross DVa.

In addition you can purchase (for about $7.50 each) the Nieuport 17, Pflaz DIIIa and the SE5a with the Albatross DIII promised for this month. Again, this "feature" is a deal killer for some but considering that I spent about $120 for Track IR and $170 for the Saitek X52Pro almost exclusively for this game ... it's not a big deal. They have AI controlled recon aircraft (Breguet XIV and DFW C.V) but there are hints that they may be available for use (with a player controlled observer/gunner) in the future as well.

There's already some third party support in the form of a nifty (if minimal at this point) Quick Mission Generator.

The included Mission Editor needs some, I dunno ... INSTRUCTIONS :D ... but it is usable and will be a huge benefit once there are some, I dunno ... INSTRUCTIONS.

All in all it's a very good game. I find myself cursing when I get shot down but then I'm able to see the rest of the action going on.

Joe

And Joebob should know...after all, he was there for the real thing.

Rune

[wonders if Joebob will bail out like he did on the Cess Patrol]

You're a swine Rune, a swine ... but I doubt it, I've invested too much and am enjoying it too much. And this group doesn't have YOU as a member ... yet.

Actually in that case I might have to rethink my answer.

Joe

p.s. Did I mention that you're a swine?

Will be joining you shortly...as soon as I find a way to get the throttle on my joystick to work in the game. I jate hitting + and -. I have shamed the Cess Patrol, I landed with no problem first attempt in a Spad.

Rune

I'll be looking for you ... through my gunsights preferably.

As to your throttle ... try this:

• Set your throttle at minimum on the joystick
  • Start the ROF Launcher and go to Settings / Input / Plane Controls.
  • In plane controls scroll down to "Engine Control: Throttle" and click on Change ...
  • DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE ...
  • Now move your throttle control all the way to maximum
  • Click on OK
  • Now Save that setting under a differnt filename ... Rune would work ... Ruin would be more accurate.
  • Test your throttle, if it's reversed just go back and redo the process but this time click on the box for "invert axis."

That should do it ... if not shoot me an email and we can discuss.

Good for you, those old birds are twitchy and landing the first time is well done ... and you know how I hate to compliment you about anything ... luckily the need to do that is very infrequent.

Joe

Constant drm and paying for a/c = no buy here.

Just as well ... the last thing we need is another Australian mucking things up ...

Seriously, I understand. I'm not a fan of either aspect but I'm willing to overlook them for the value I find in the game ... as I said ... YMMV.

Especially since you're Australian, don't you measure things in knots down there?

Joe

p.s. We miss you in the CessPool, drop by from time to time.

The Amazon reviews for this title are all over the map. Is this game finished or not? I notice the website sells additional flyable aircraft, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about that sort of marketing.

I guess that depends on your definition of "finished."

Is CMSF finished? Apparently not since they're still working on it and providing add ons ... that by the way you have to pay for. And CMAK just had a Vista fix published ... that you can purchase for about $5 if memory serves.

ROF doesn't currently have all the aircraft you might want ... but I'm sure they will have the majority of major combatants over time. It doesn't currently have a "Dogfight" mode in which you respawn immediately ... but they're working on that too. The Mission Editor works, but there is no manual on it, and that also they're working on.

As to the aircraft purchase, that's up to you. To me it's not a big deal. I bought CMSF Marines for $25, that would buy me 3 aircraft ... which represents all of the aircraft that are currently available.

The bottom line ... for me ... is that it's beautifully done both in terms of graphics and physics and feels right for the period. If you've an interest in WWI air combat I think you'll enjoy it tremendously.

But that's just me ... :D

Joe

p.s. Even if you don't like the idea of ROF, we also play IL-2, DCS: Blackshark and Arma2.

• 1 month later...
This youtube video shows planes disintegrating on high deflection shots, after what must be only a few hits from a .303 or equivalent machinegun round. I'm skeptical of that. Looks nice though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6hl0mOuEU

They look like outliers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdgbeobB3Vk

Looks nice but you defo need that head mounted viewing system.

Gas tank. (boom)

Pretty to look at, fun to fly, but it isnt finished. Gameplay is where its lacking. And some irritating graphic freezes and stutter that make it very hard to shoot accurately. (I'm on a quad-core).

Multiplayer is all but dead, and the canned missions are...canned.