Marking mines- again

A co

All right, how do my engineers get permission to mark mines? They're sitting on a mine marker, in "OK" status, not moving, and the "mark mines" command button will not light up. They've got demo charges, if that's relevant. For several turns I've been trying to get them to do it but I'm stumped.

I also have problems getting this to work .. most of the time, the "Mark Mines" button does not highlight at all.

It seems to be one of the remaining mysteries in CMSF :confused:.

And it shouldn't be, for example the manual states that "Mark Mines is a very slow movement command that takes the unit’s full attention and reduces awareness and returning fire." (v1.20 manual)

So from reading this I assume that it should be a very slow movement where the engineers do activley look for mines. Maybe this and the circumstances that allow the command to be employed could be clarified.

I don't have high hopes though, as this has been brought up repeatedly and never been answered with any definitive statement - a fact which is also supported by the current explanation provided in the manual.

Can't see that I'm seeing a problem with this guys. I have literally just finished running a small test with US Engineers. I ran them into a minefield to 'discover' the mines. Once they'd triggered them (OUCH!) I gave them the Mark Mines command and about 1min 30 seconds later the marker turned yellow. Mission accomplished.

Now, a couple of Q's. Are you using Engineers or UK Assault Pioneers? The latter are not as effective as the Engineers.

Secons, are your teams about 8+ metres from the mine marker or on top of it? The Engineers in my test were located about 8+metres from the marker and the Mark Mines command lit as as I'd expected.

Thanks for the test, Paper Tiger.

I also ran a quick test myself (instead of just "complaining" about it ;)).

After detecting the mines (by just walking into them and losing a substantial number of men) the british engineers were then able to "Mark Mines" (the command became available for selection).

Interesting points:

- As a target for the "Mark Mines" command, you can only select Action spots with a red Minefield sign in them. All other Action spots can not be selected as targets for a "Mark Mines" movement.

- After successful marking, the minefield is not completely safe to move through .. I used some other squads with "Quick" and "Fast" movements, they also triggered mines (and consequently lost men) in the already marked mine action spots.

- I think the manual is still misleading and could be clarified, as it states "Mark Mines: This command enables engineer units to detect and mark hidden minefields so that other units are aware of them." Detection is done the "hard way". For me the above sentence implies that engineers try to detect mines without just running over them and triggering them.

So I think some of the "confusion" comes from the ambiguous way the manual describes this "movement" command. Because actually during execution of the "Mark Mines" command, the section or squad is not moving at all. Also, the status for each individual soldier could be updated so that it shows "Marking Mines" instead of just "Spotting" or "Hiding" for example.

Can someone tell me what the point is of marking mines? What effect does it have?

Hm, from what I can tell: There is no point in marking mines, it seems to be quite superfluous.

The only effect i can imagine (and i'm not sure about this) is that units might avoid marked minefields in their routing decisions for movements. But I think the player can still force units into marked minefields.

i allways hoped for a mark mines command wich is as fast as hunt or normal move, something like this in standing position, while the guys actively search for mines with thier eyes/tools and not their bodies like they do now.

What effect does it have?

turns the red marker into yellow :D

i know, but hey, thats a start.

Can someone tell me what the point is of marking mines? What effect does it have?

I sort of agree with Mad Mike, it does seem to be somewhat superfluous. You get the feeling the original concept for engineers was far more complex than whats in the game. If only they had unlimited time and resources to dedicate to engineers (instead of the other 99% of the game) we might've seen dozer blades on the front of engineer Strykers, mine detecting, and who-knows-what else. 'Mark Mines' seems to be the lowest bar they had to clear.

i allways hoped for a mark mines command wich is as fast as hunt or normal move, something like this in standing position, while the guys actively search for mines with thier eyes/tools and not their bodies like they do now.

turns the red marker into yellow :D

i know, but hey, thats a start.

I have a feeling that if you leave them there eventually themarker will turn green, and then it will be safe.

Once the marker turns yellow, or green, you can WALK (not run!) your troops through an Anti Personnel minefield without taking casualties from the minefield. I've done this a few times myself and it works. It also works for Anti Vehicular mines too but they're a wee bit more expensive to find.

However, a grey area is the mixed mine type. I think you can only fully disable a mixed minefield when it has been activated by both target types. I.e. if you run a squad into one and subsequently mark it, it is only deactivated for other infantry units. It is still able to blow up the next vehicle that moves into it. However, I haven't had much experience with this type of mine. I prefer to use one or the other, not mixed.