Jane's on M113

From Jane's International Defence Review, Volume 42, Feb. 2009:

For operations in Iray, about 500 M113A3s have been upgraded using kits supplied by BAE Systems Ground Systems. This includes bar armour for enhanced protection against RPG-7 rocket propelled grenades, additional mine protection and Transparent Armored Gun Shields (TAGS) to provide enhanced protection for the gunner manning the .50 calibre M2 HB MG.

The US army still operates a fleet of about 10000 M113-series vehicles and although some of these are now being replaced by the Stryker, the M113 and its variants are expected to remain in service for many years to come.

Best regards,

Thomm

Gotta love those 113s, nothing beats a tracked APC.

And the upgraded armor means that it can hold its own in a COIN environment.

Vehicles nowadays often have CROWS weapons mounts, very useful on the 113 methinks?

In any case, it will always have utility as a useful vehicle for medevac, resupply, offroad etc.

Nonetheless, no new variant is going to replace or out-do the stryker as the Army work horse.

...no new variant is going to replace or out-do the stryker as the Army work horse.

These numbers seem to suggest otherwise:

* 19 Heavy Brigade Combat Teams (= 38 CA Bns, ~ 19 Bradley Bns and 19 Abrams Bns)

* 6 Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (= 18 Stryker Bns)

* 13 Infantry Brigade Combat Teams (light) (= 26 Inf bns)

* 6 Infantry Brigade Combat Teams (airborne) (= 12 A/B bns)

* 4 Infantry Brigade Combat Teams (air assault) (= 8 A/A bns)

The British Bulldog is an old FV432 (imagine a british M113) upgraded in the same way and they have been very successful.

Gavin lovers will be able to use FV432s as a sub when the Brit module comes out. Doesn't take much imagination, eh? Just a bit of US camo, slap on a white star and you're good to go.

This raises a question about Brit AVFs: will they be able to resupply US Army/ Marines soldiers?

Gavin lovers will be able to use FV432s as a sub when the Brit module comes out. Doesn't take much imagination, eh? Just a bit of US camo, slap on a white star and you're good to go.

This raises a question about Brit AVFs: will they be able to resupply US Army/ Marines soldiers?

Umm actually, Gavin lovers will be too busy taking their medication to use the FV432, as no-one actually calls the M113 the "Gavin" except for a certain looney :) Unless of course, they actually do love a bloke called Gavin, in which case, I fail to see how an FV432 (or any other APC) can be a substitute...

I am curious about the re-supply, however. I mean, both use the same 5.56 round, don't they? 40mm grenades are the same AFAIK. Are there differences in the Javelin variants? Has anyone tried to resupply marines via an Army vehicle or vice-versa?

Umm actually, Gavin lovers will be too busy taking their medication to use the FV432, as no-one actually calls the M113 the "Gavin" except for a certain looney :) Unless of course, they actually do love a bloke called Gavin, in which case, I fail to see how an FV432 (or any other APC) can be a substitute...

?

Well naturally REAL Gavin lovers will never be satisfied until Gavin gets in, but as this seems unlikely what is so different about the form and function of the FV432?

They are not actual M113's they just look the same(ish) and where made with the same job in mind. :P

*edit* whoops took your post out of context disregared my last

M113s will continue to decrease as the amount of Strykers in service will continue to increase, it seems.

That reminds me of a quote I saw from General Peter Schoomaker from back around 2004 when Stryker first hit Iraq:

"What I don't want to do is run into a problem where all of a sudden our future becomes Stryker" :D