The SAW in CMSF

I've been paying a little closer attention to the individual small arms components of my BLUE squads and noticed something I hadn't ever thought to notice before.

For a "suppressive" fire light support weapon which has a higher ROF, the CMSF SAW isn't.

In fact, I haven't noticed that it has any higher rate of fire than the standard M4.

If this is true, what is the real benefit of the SAW?

But is the SAW's value in its rate of fire per se or in its ability to provide suppressive fire for longer stretches than a magazine-fed weapon can?

I'm no small-arms grog, but because the M249 is belt-fed (200 rounds per belt, AFAIK) and has a quick-change barrel, it can fire more and longer than the M16s or M4s wielded by the men accompanying the SAW gunner.

Also, the M249's rate of fire is not that much greater than the M4's -- 750-1,000 rpm versus 700-950 rpm.

All I see is 3-4 round bursts per soldier regardless of weapon system until ammo runs out. SAW and the M4 seem the same to me......Also I'm not talking about theoretical ROF, but ROF in actual practice.

Interesting question. What is field experience, what do Grogs say?

Usually, the automatic rifleman is the only one authorized to shoot on auto. He should be letting loose with 3-5 round bursts in very quick succession if he is shooting at all. If there is any emergency, he can fire a much longer burst. All non-ar's should be firing well aimed single shots. SlapHappy is right, imo, that there doesn't seem to be much difference between the saw and the rifles in the game.

All I see is 3-4 round bursts per soldier regardless of weapon system until ammo runs out. SAW and the M4 seem the same to me......Also I'm not talking about theoretical ROF, but ROF in actual practice.

If M4- or M16-equipped soldiers are firing more than 3 rounds per burst, this is inaccurate. Both the M4's and the M16A4's selective fire options are semi-auto and three-round bursts. (It's the M4A1 that can fire full-auto.)