Being a member of other forums besides this one, I wonder at the usage of the term "Jap". I have never encountered another player who is Japanese, but that is not to say that they don't exist. Would such a person enjoy being called a "Jap", I wonder.

A couple of the forums I belong to have heavy participation by Europeans, and I don't think I can recall ever seeing a reference to "Krauts". Having some German friends, I know that they are not overjoyed if someone uses such a term.

Sixty plus years after the end of WW2, former enemies are now friends, and the world is a far different place. I was born in 1949, and during my childhood, remember hearing my father and his friends speak (not often) of their war experiences. Interestingly, they showed more respect for their former enemies back in the 1950's than some of us here, on this forum, do today.

I also wonder if our tolerance for a simple little thing like "Jap" is what leads to the other disrespectful things that can occur on forums such as this.

Anyway, I am just putting this out there, so to speak. It would be interesting to know what other members think about this.

I have to say, I agree with you Happycat - thanks for bringing this up. There is no question that the term "Jap" is derogatory. That's how it was used in WW2. But as you say, we've moved on from that now. I would certainly never use it myself, any more than I would use any of the other racial slurs. It's not just an abbreviation. Abbreviations are obviously fine as long as they're not derogatory, but this one is. Find another one.

I don't call Argentinians "Argies" either, abbreviation or no.

I agree with Timskorn, abukede, and Lampcord. I don't mean anybody any harm by using that word, and honestly I do it that way only because it seems I have a bad habit in spelling out all of Japanese. I tend to create the letter n after the e in Japanese (only on the computer though not in my writing) I would just much rather get the right abbreviation then the wrong spelling of Japanense.

Although what about a more common nickname Aussies for Australians or where I live Bostonians. The Bostonians nickname really doesn't bother me, but I think it should be up to the group of people that are being nicknamed that to decide whether or not it is appropriate. With that said I’ve never really asked members of the Japanese community whether or not they like that nickname but I strongly doubt they like being called "Nip". I hope I'm not one of those people that Lampcord is talking about, because I agree the line should be drawn there.

I see no problem with using the acronym Jap. WW2 was over 60 years ago. Are we going to start getting upset when we use the term Brits, Russkies, Yanks, Aussies, Swedes, Danes or Finns? C'mon.

If the term has not become entrenched in our language as a an insult such as "ch$nks" or "n$ps" then we need to get away from this politically correct bullsh$t.

Yes I do live near Beantown.

Your right Timskorn Bostonian isn't really an offensive nickname at all. However I haven't had the luck of scoring myself any Red Sox's Yankee's tickets as I think you have a better chance at winning the lottery then getting those tickets. LOL. Have you ever been to a game?

...and here I thought that Jap stood for Jewish American Princess...In the flavor of WWII era the enemy in the Pacific were Japs. In Europe they were Nazis, Krauts, Heinies, etc. And then the poor Italians got to be Fascists, Waps, etc. We were not "Blank" Americans, we were Americans, Yanks, Amis, etc...

By the way..Go NY YAnkees...also known as Bronx Bombers, Yanks...

I will use the term Japs (while playing.) Not meant at an offense to todays culture (I know the war is over.) But when I use the term, I mean the Japs of the 40's.

Boston and Yankee fans can be quite brutal (to each other.) But that can make it interesting. Haven't had the pleasure, of a Yankee/Redsox game either, but the parking can be up to $100 if u drive in. You don't get any better hatred between those two groups. (And yes, I'm also a sox fan.)

And if you want to see the "terms" fly, go see Gran Torino. Its just the way some of the old school people who fought in any of the wars are programmed.

Happycat,

Even though I'm sure you weren't expecting this thread to become a discusion of the Red Sox's Yankee's rivalry I would just like to say everything said here is entirely true (also GO SOXS!).

As a lukewarm Jays fan, I shall abstain from comment. Which is probably wise.

Okay this post just wasn't posted at the right time as I've been doing a lot of posting today so I just forgot to put this post up after legadore made his.

Go figure I say that, and someone below me supports the Yanks. Oh well nothing at all wrong with a little rivalry as long as it doesn't get out of hand. It's just this rivalry has gotten out of hand many of times.

Okay I see the point your trying to prove here Happycat. Although I do feel bad for the Jays, because it seems like there the forgoten team in the east :(. After all the Sox's and Yanks have always been on center stage and it seems like the Rays are taking out there anger after the entire organizations failure of past years now. Which leaves the Ray's out of the picture. Hopefully they will do better this year (although I'm still routing for the Sox's mainly)

I was a Jays fan, grew up with them really as they came to town in 77, and I really enjoyed the two World Series victories in 92 and 93 but once the lockout happened I really haven't watched much baseball since. It's really weird how those things happen but it seemed to just pop my interest from the game.

I do feel bad for all teams that have these long droughts. Maybe it's because I'm a red sox fan and we had to go through 86 years, or maybe it's because I think every professional team deserves to have a good season every once in a while. However you Canadians do have a good hockey team :), but then again we do to (Bruins).

I see no problem with using the acronym Jap. WW2 was over 60 years ago. Are we going to start getting upset when we use the term Brits, Russkies, Yanks, Aussies, Swedes, Danes or Finns? C'mon.

If the term has not become entrenched in our language as a an insult such as "ch$nks" or "n$ps" then we need to get away from this politically correct bullsh$t.

Hear hear! There's nothing wrong with Jap imho.... I would never be insulted by Brit, Pomme or Limey... even though at least two of those were originally meant as insults.

Lets just stay calm and have a little perspective here, folks.

Unless one of our 'turnip headed' :eek: (A Chinese slang term for the Japanese apparantly!) brethren would like to step up and say otherwise....?