Just Wondering...why Syria and not Iran?

Have you ever thought about expanding the premise?

What i mean is, we have the fictitional 2008 fight between the US and Syria, we bring in the more fictitious aspect lately of the Brits getting involved and I hear talk of a NATO Mod now too, that is so widely left field that were getting into sci fi situations.

SO why not just drop in something that will be a lot more interesting to gamers. Why not bring out a few Taliban skins to make a more Afghan friendly atmosphere. If your stretching to sci fi Mods, why not include a Russian mod as that is just as plausible to having german troops invade Syria.

The effect would be to beef up the limited here come the next nations to beat up on the same old Syrian stuff and possibly increase the logevity of what is becoming a boring premise.

Of course, Im sure that as soon as CM Normandy arrives the BFC support for SF will quickly dissapear.

A pity really as SF could be something much more than it is now with a little more effort to beef up the REDFOR.

Have you ever thought about expanding the premise?

GSX, yup, we will be revisiting a modern setting again in the future, likely in a temperate setting with a modern opposing firce. If you do a search I belevie Steve has mentioned it in the past.

Btw as it stands the forces in CMSF as is can represent quite a wide variety of nations, even North Korea for instance. If I had the time I think that a short NK campaign with some supporting textures would be a lot of fun. For now though its Tigers and Shermans for me ;)

Dan

I know Kwazydog has already commented, but I'm led to believe that Syria was chosen because it was the most plausible opponent for a near future conflict taking into account events in Iraq. Even so it is only vaguely plausible, but yeah.

I think the 2006 conflict in Lebanon was also a deciding factor for how this sort of combat could be interesting.

The US would have to be pretty desparate to launch a ground invasion of Iran. Not really an option I reckon.

Right, and wasn't BF hoping to sell, or did sell, CMSF to the U.S. military?

It's a fairly popular look in the region. I'm being serious.

If you are refering to Iran and/or Iraq, then you may well be correct. I'm not well versed in facial hair fashion there.

A friend of mine just finished a 12 month tour as an UN observer on the Syrian/Israeli border, and he comented after seeing CMSF that he hardly ever saw mustaches or beards on males in Syria (he and his family lived in Damaskus). He hasn't said anything about facial hair on Syrian females though, and I have refrained from asking as we don't see them in CMSF... ;)

GSX, yup, we will be revisiting a modern setting again in the future, likely in a temperate setting with a modern opposing firce. If you do a search I belevie Steve has mentioned it in the past.

Btw as it stands the forces in CMSF as is can represent quite a wide variety of nations, even North Korea for instance. If I had the time I think that a short NK campaign with some supporting textures would be a lot of fun. For now though its Tigers and Shermans for me ;)

Dan

I meant in CMSF, you know, instead of adding another NATO Mod, add a Russian one.

Your ending statement tells me all I need to know though, the writing is on the wall for SF and I strongly suspect that support for it will be non existant when the Normandy game comes out. Which will be a shame but understandable I suppose when you only have the one programmer.

Your ending statement tells me all I need to know though, the writing is on the wall for SF and I strongly suspect that support for it will be non existant when the Normandy game comes out. Which will be a shame but understandable I suppose when you only have the one programmer. Shame though.

Thats true, but only as far as Im concerned. Who knows what otherwise might turn up :).

Dan

Dan, are there any plans for more than on texture per 3d model? Just like winter bmps in CMBO, will be modders able to add news skins that will appear simultanouesly ingame on the same tank model for instance?

I think there's already support for this, at least as far as infantry goes. Tanks are made to look varied with all the 3d junk loaded on top of them, but I wouldn't mind having multiple skins for them (although my video card's memory is not going to be cooperative).

I meant in CMSF, you know, instead of adding another NATO Mod, add a Russian one.

Your ending statement tells me all I need to know though, the writing is on the wall for SF and I strongly suspect that support for it will be non existant when the Normandy game comes out. Which will be a shame but understandable I suppose when you only have the one programmer.

That could be! I can see BF dropping CMSF once CMX2 WW2 stuff starts hitting the public. What about if CMSF addons being farmed out to 3rd party developers?

No, not really... the size of an army is no indicator of how complicated it is. As an example, consider how many different types of cannons and howitzers Finnish artillery used during WW2:

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY1.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY2.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY3.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY4.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY5.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY6.htm

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ARTILLERY7.htm

Finland had a small army, yet there's probably more different types of equipment there than many of the big players had. The same goes with aircraft and rifles. There were a dozen or so different variants of Mosin-Nagant rifle alone in use. And THEN there was a score of OTHER rifles...

But Syria's military is probably more standardised in their TO&E's than Iran's military. It also can't hurt that there is more information available about it, and what is unknown can be guestimated by comparing to Soviet doctrine.

It was humor..purely humor.

It's not the equipment that makes the army, it's what they do with it. ... the tactics used by Iran during the Iran - Iraq war was almost WWI vintage. Human wave attacks. Radicalized recruits 'volunteering' to clear minefields by running through them. ... Leadership based on ideology rather than tactical / operational schooling and savvy isn't going to win them many battles.

I suppose that troops would believe there's no reason to improve tactics or practice warfighting if, no matter how well or badly they fight, when they die they'll still go to something resembling heaven and be surrounded by virgins, or whatever ideology they actually believe.*

* I claim no actual understanding of Muslim beliefs or knowledge of whether Syrians or Iranians are even generally Muslim.

To me Human Waves seems to be quite logical answer when there is not enough tanks. And Iraq had 4-5 times more of them, as with artillery. In air Iraq had even more crushing overpower. Still Iran was able to throw Iraqi troops back to starting positions of war. Only thing Iran had more were men, fanatic men too.

Iran managed to make good use of human wave style when at start of the war they could muster enough fire support. Later there was problems in having enough fire support (i believe it was ammo which was main problem). Then Iraqi fortifications were enough to resist those attempts.

I think there's already support for this, at least as far as infantry goes. Tanks are made to look varied with all the 3d junk loaded on top of them, but I wouldn't mind having multiple skins for them (although my video card's memory is not going to be cooperative).

Yes, inf and varied 3d details on vehicles are a nice touch. Details in the models are one of the strong cards of CMx2 and hope to see this expanding. I guess if you have ten panzerIV in game each with its own different skin you might run into problems with video ram. But thats the wondeful thing with mods. You can have as many you can handle. All we need is some extra slots to turn the game into a virtual diorama.

Yes, inf and varied 3d details on vehicles are a nice touch. Details in the models are one of the strong cards of CMx2 and hope to see this expanding. I guess if you have ten panzerIV in game each with its own different skin you might run into problems with video ram. But thats the wondeful thing with mods. You can have as many you can handle. All we need is some extra slots to turn the game into a virtual diorama.

What do you mean by extra slots? AFAIK we already have unlimited slots for skins.

I dont think so. You cant have two different T-55 ingame for instance.

Yes and no. I don't think you can have multiple tank skins (I haven't tried either), but you can have multiple infantry skins. Syrian combatants are a good example of this, but the same can be done to all infantry.

Yes I know about the infantry. But there are some limitations I think. Hey, I was/am a modder too (panzermartin my old nick). All I want is making some camos on tanks and have them sit side by side ingame without having to replace existing ones. The same could be done for buildings. Now it's not possible to make a "shop facade" texture and not replace the stock one.