The conscript horde

Wow

I just got hit by ~1700 Syrian Light Infantry conscripts in a quick battle. They were coming out of treelines until I shot them up pretty good and took all the fight out of em.

I was given some anti-tank/scout units and a very little infantry. Most of my troops were wrapped up in TOW infantry.

I inflicted about 1000 casualties - dead, wounded, and missing. The remaining 500+ troops basically drew back into the woods and called it a day. The game ended after almost an entire hour of "overtime" play.

I had ten killed out of 68 men. Most of those were from the 3-4 vehicles I had hit by RPG rocket fire.

The conscripts were just no match for a small unit of hardcore Marines.

I've noticed that if greeny troops have a treeline to spread out around they will tend to do that rather than advance over dead ground.

They simply don't have the hutzpah to do that. They make little probes, take a couple of casualties, and seep back into cover. Very cool.

Your biggest problem with these guys is having enough ammo to shoot them with. It's really kind of pathetic :)

I didn't really have the right kind of firepower to fight these guys. My force was more or less AT assets. The only really effective heavy stuff I had was the 25mm autocannons on the LAVS. I had a good number of LAV-AT's, but they were only good for an occasional big bang. My TOW infantry pretty much sat around and did nothing.

Under sustained or heavy fire, these guys fold up like a cheap tent. over 500 of them simply routed by the end of the battle.

They would probably be more potent with protected approaches, but if they have to cross any sizable ground, forget it!

I've noticed that if greeny troops have a treeline to spread out around they will tend to do that rather than advance over dead ground.

They simply don't have the hutzpah to do that. They make little probes, take a couple of casualties, and seep back into cover. Very cool.

Your biggest problem with these guys is having enough ammo to shoot them with. It's really kind of pathetic :)

Happened with Marines too, regular-veteran level. Some dismounted HMMs teams managed to participate into humanwave three times until bitting the dust. They always reached one trench which i controlled from side with .50cal MG and 40mm AGL. They either died there or pulled back (to try again).

Now Javelin-teams doing that wasn't so funny. Took out many machineguns and hummers. When receiving fire they pulled back, but only to come back and try again.

Its funny you should mention that actually about the iraqi conscripts. The EXACT same thing happened in the north when the Kurdish Peshmerga attacked the lines that the IA (Iraqi army) had dug in along. Most of them just didn't want to fight, and safe to say the idiots that did were dealt with. I mean considering the comparison thats pretty amazing baring in mind the Peshmerga are guerillas (bloody tough ones at that)!

Regards

Salam