Bush Nearly Hit By Iraqi Shoes

First, that's old news; second, I am against any acts of political violence, even throwing shoes (if he wanted to express anger, then just calling names would have sufficed); third, despite of second, Bush deserves a few hits with a baseball bat on his face because God told me so; fourth, there have been some news reports of the shoeless journalist being badly beaten. Now, according to some of the reports, this happened when the bodyguards went on him and broke his arm. Injuries that happened during the take down and arrest are understandable, what matters is if he got medical treatment for them. If not, or if any injuries were caused afterwards, Iraqi government should be overthrown. By someone more competent than Bush.

Actually it was the first time in ages I have been impressed by Bush. He moved damn quick and that first one was fully on target. I liked the look on Maliki's face. Kind of bored. "Oh. This again."

You gotta give him some credit; he didn't even flinched. The guy knew exactly where the shoe was aimed.

I was embarrassed and humiliated as an American that a foreigner would have such a low opinion of our leader that he felt not only compelled, but free, to express his opinion in such a base way. How low we have sunk in the eyes of the world, that our leader is a laughing stock who gets no respect.

Having said that, I'd sure like to buy the shoes on EBay, if they were offered...

I was embarrassed and humiliated as an American that a foreigner would have such a low opinion of our leader that he felt not only compelled, but free, to express his opinion in such a base way. How low we have sunk in the eyes of the world, that our leader is a laughing stock who gets no respect.

Having said that, I'd sure like to buy the shoes on EBay, if they were offered...

The replica of the shoes are already on ebay. For the real one, you gotta outbid the $10 million a Saudi man offered for the shoes.....

The man knew that his actions would be the final line in a history of Bush's contribution to Iraq so it was kind of impressive in a way.

Good on him for showing his frustrations, remember only a couple of years ago a massive bomb killed the UN envoy to Iraq, be thankful the Iraqis now get an outlet like throwing a shoe instead of choosing to kill 100 people to maybe also kill a foreign dignitary.

The man knew that his actions would be the final line in a history of Bush's contribution to Iraq so it was kind of impressive in a way.

Good on him for showing his frustrations, remember only a couple of years ago a massive bomb killed the UN envoy to Iraq, be thankful the Iraqis now get an outlet like throwing a shoe instead of choosing to kill 100 people to maybe also kill a foreign dignitary.

well said...what's the latest figure in Iraqi civilian deaths after the 2003 invasion? 100,000+?

well said...what's the latest figure in Iraqi civilian deaths after the 2003 invasion? 100,000+?

What's the civilian death count at the hands of Saddam Hussein? If that journalist had thrown a shoe a Saddam, he would have done so knowing that he'd be tortured and killed for making his "statement" - THAT would take some balls. But then again, the public would have never learned of it.

Throwing shoes at the presidents of USA and Iraq could very easily have gotten the man killed - I wonder if he considered the risk of getting shot by bodyguards? Under Saddam it would also have meant the disappearance of your entire family and your friends (or the whole village), which is an even more effective threat than killing the attacker himself.

It may take balls to rise up against a ruthless dictator, but what good are they to you when your last glimpse of them is the secret service force-feeding them to your wife while you watch...

I think we figured it here a while back as about 50' date='000 over his entire reign.[/quote']

That's not even close to the 180,000+ that are reported on various websites.

Either way you cut it, I don't buy that the journalist was motivated out of frustration over the number of deaths of Iraqi civilians resulting from the current war. Civilian deaths aren't exactly a new concept in that country. He's a little late with his protests if that's his main beef - which I doubt it is.

He has a pretty good throwing arm, though, eh. Still, not quick enough for ol' W.

I think it was well deserved. Bush shouldnt get away with this useless war like nothing happened. I still remember him joking about weapons of mass destruction. That Iraqi had more courage than all these who passively watched from their couches that clown deconstructing US and the world for 8 years.

I agree.

That Iraqi reporter is my hero.

I think we figured it here a while back as about 50' date='000 over his entire reign.[/quote']

Far, far higher than that.

You can add in the results of the first Gulf War also.

And the current second Gulf War too if you'd like to lay the responsibilty at Saddam's feet for being too stupid to step down.

Bet the villa on the French Riviera was looking pretty good the day they led him to the rope. ;)

Far, far higher than that.

You can add in the results of the first Gulf War also.

rumsfeld-saddam.jpg

Of course we'll only have comparable figures in 2023. Anyway, killing innocent people is not some kind of high score contest. Either you are a murderous bastard with no regard for civilian lives or you aren't. Saying anything else is just to wash the blood off your hands.

That's not even close to the 180,000+ that are reported on various websites.

Either way you cut it, I don't buy that the journalist was motivated out of frustration over the number of deaths of Iraqi civilians resulting from the current war. Civilian deaths aren't exactly a new concept in that country. He's a little late with his protests if that's his main beef - which I doubt it is.

Ah...so his failure to commit suicide by Saddam invalidates his objection to murder by Bush....righ - good ol' moral relativism strikes again!

what a crock of carp - even if Saddam had killed millions then Bush's killing of thousands still ranks as a crime against humanity, and your summary dismissal of the protest is unjustified.

Crimes do not have to be compared to each other - each is evil in and of itself.

Mmm, carp.

Quite possibly it is a healthy sign that someone feels free to express their anger in such a fashion: personally, at the man he holds responsible. In this way dialogue is instituted and maintained - maybe it is preferable to do this without resorting to throwing shoes, certainly it is preferable to do this without resorting to bombs or guns.