I'm ready for 1.11

If Steve says sometime next week, which he did right before Thanksgiving, he means the following Friday, maybe. If his guidance is any less specific than that just assume that it will be at least two more weeks.

The good news is that he hasn't been posting much the past three days or so. This usually implies he is doing actual work instead of his usual round of mediating between Charles and the beta testers interspersed with occasional attitude corrections in the forum.

The question of course is whether he is working on the patch, Normandy or one of BFC's many other ever heating irons. He could at least drop by long enough to tell me what a &^$&&*(* I am give us a crumb or two. :)

What about after 1.11? I know that the engine and game continue to evolve and that BFC probbaly did not plan on having 11 patches but are there continual plans to keep updating CMSF or is there a point where we say that it is cooked and done and all efforts are now going into the next family of games?

I am still assuming that a major breaker bug would be fixed (e.g. Vista SP2 breaks the game) but in some ways I would hope that after a while we can call CMSF done. Releasing more patches probably makes their lives even crazier as they will also have to patch CM:Normandy as well and they may have different code to deal with Nomandy specific situations.

Even CMBB/CMAK patches stopped after a while and there are problems with them and Vista/DX10 out there still.

Just curious.

I would hope that this may be close to the final patch. Theres got to be a point where you say, this is as good as it gets, the major problems have been fixed and the very few remaining ones arent game breakers.

I get the feeling that after the Brit patch SF will slowly begin to slide into the background as WW2 starts to ramp up. Once ww2 appears I think that SF will rapidly be forgotten.

I see SF as essentially working out all the bugs and fixes for the ww2 game, bugger the next one up and Im not sure where BF goes from there.

I am sure that the Brit module will trigger one or two more patches after 1.11. Therefore, we are looking at a few months more of CM:SF development. The quality of 1.11 (Beta) being quite high already, this should really address most bugs and improve the quality of the game to the limits of the current (SF) engine.

What we apparently are not going to see is significant new features such as improvements to the editor, which would - as far as I am concerned - increase the user-made scenario output.

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: I do not remember the final verdict: are we going to see Euro forces (Leopard tanks, e.g.) in Shock Force or after WW2?

I would hope that this may be close to the final patch. Theres got to be a point where you say, this is as good as it gets, the major problems have been fixed and the very few remaining ones arent game breakers.

I get the feeling that after the Brit patch SF will slowly begin to slide into the background as WW2 starts to ramp up. Once ww2 appears I think that SF will rapidly be forgotten.

I see SF as essentially working out all the bugs and fixes for the ww2 game, bugger the next one up and Im not sure where BF goes from there.

"British Forces" won't be the last module for CMSF. We have one more ace up our sleeve :)

Can we expect it to be released this week?

For what purpose? Tomorrow you'll be mightily drunk as you celebrate the independence day of your eastern neighbour, and Sunday and most of Monday goes by with Hangover from Hell. :D

It remains to be seen. A couple of days go by fast, so it's nigh on impossible to predict so accurately.