Aussies have Real big Arachnids!

Wilhammer

Well a shoe doesn't seem as if it'd do much to that colossal monstrosity, at least not without a lot of work. Flamethrower? Take off and nuke the site from orbit?

Do you have to watch the youngling’s closely when they're out in the backyard lest an eight-legged devil, such as the one pictured eating a frickin' bird, descend from the treetop canopy and whisk the tyke away for consumption?

The pic is a little misleading. That bird is a finch, which is very small as far as birds go. Still, that is one huge spider. *shudder*

I saw a few Golden Orbs when I was in Oz earlier this year and the really weird thing was, the people there seemed to like them. wth?

The worst thing is when you're out in the evening for a jog or a walk and the f**kers have spun their webs across the footpath. It's like walking into a fishing net covered in super glue and you never know where on your body the big bugger has got to. We used to get them at our old pace higher up with webs maybe 4+ metres across between two trees.

They're still not as freaky as huntsman spiders, which spin no web but have a habit of suddenly moving and jumping like fricking lightning.

215px-Clockspider.jpg

Affentitten,

How sad for you, and may I add--ick on the web encounter! At least, though, those are outside. Is the one shown indoors, truly the stuff of female terror and many males, too, that variety or the huntsman you describe? What are the respective effects of being bitten by one? Australia seems to abound in nasty biting things. ISTR a deadly tiny spider, an ant that makes a fire ant a nonevent, a wasp of fearsome temperament, etc., all shown on Discovery or TLC here in the States. OTOH, where else can you find earthworms big enough to land a grouper?

Regards,

John Kettler

That is indeed a huntsman that I describe. They will sit in the same place for days on end, but then suddenly move like they've been electrocuted if you approach them. I once had one run up my arm and leap off my shoulder when I put my hand into my mailbox.

They don't bite and are overall pretty harmless. But a great way of freaking out foreign visitors.

That is indeed a huntsman that I describe. They will sit in the same place for days on end, but then suddenly move like they've been electrocuted if you approach them. I once had one run up my arm and leap off my shoulder when I put my hand into my mailbox.

They don't bite and are overall pretty harmless. But a great way of freaking out foreign visitors.

They do eat the giant cockroaches at my place though, so I tolerate them unless they are hiding in my towel on the towel rail. Now finding one there really is a surprise.

Even more ghastly than the Huntsman spider is the decor shown in the photo. Who puts a wall clock beside a window, like that? And the curtain rod extends out over the clock...?

That oughta be obvious - the damned Spider put it there!

--------

Well, at least you don't have to put up with Black Widows- we seem to have a rather healthy population around my house - I've encountered and killed 6 of them this year.

PS: one of the huntsman's favourite all time hiding places is under the sun visor in your car. Quite a treat when you flip it down at full speed on the highway and have one of them in your face.

Yike. Looking at the one that was hiding under the clock, I have to admit that my first impulse would be to stand back and shoot it with a pistol. But then I suppose you'd have a hole in the wall to explain to the landlord.

Michael

This is all just a made up Aussie gimmick to discourage immigration, right? Those are just plastic models, right? I don't want to believe that there's any place on earth with such horrors. I'm not normally an arachnophobe, but I think an encounter with something like that could turn me into one.

Michael

In all seriousness, how much care do you have to take when living down there not to disturb everything that'll kill you? Do you just get in the habit of checking everything before disturbing it, or is it not the concern those who don't live there make it out to be? Is there much that's actually aggressive, or do you need to agitate it before it's a concern?

(Screw a pistol, I'd want a flamethrower to clear the room and then a shotgun for whatever I missed. Or an uzi. )