tank canister round

Lee

Yeah, that is a superb recording of those canister rounds being fired. :) It's the old grape shot cannon load, this time being fired from a 120mm tank gun, the more things change, the more they stay the same. :) Did you see how it knocked down all those targets at the end? Very cool! :)

According to a post by a soldier, these canister rounds are being used on terrorists in Iraq now by our troops and work very well. I bet they do, that is one devastating load. :)

I do wonder why BFC didn't include canister (or Beehive, or whatever name you like) in the game. It might've simply been that producing a 'cloud' of individually tracked projectile points would've made the realtime game engine gasp(!) every time a round was fired! I wonder if the x2 game engine even can create an 'abstracted' shotgun pellet dispersion like CMx1 did. The physics of a canister shot dispersion pattern doesn't resemble much else currently in the game, except maybe a mortar's kill radius

I do hope they add the canister round in for the patch with the British module (as an addition for U.S. troops, I'm not sure if the Brits have such a round). It would be really cool to get to use that in a battle. :)

Firing canister rounds at terrorists is one way to break their morale, below is another method. :)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7cb_1219063451

I recall old Tiger 1 tactics called on the tank to be stationed behind the forward line so the troops could act as a screen and the tank lays down fire over their heads. Nowadays with KE sabot rounds of all sizes, not to mention canister, it looks like standing back and firing over your own troops is a thing of the past... for everything except 7.62, anyway. With modern munitions you'd be showering everyone ahead of you in a 20 degree arc with bits of flying metal!

You still don't want to let enemy infantry get anywhere near your tank, *very* dangerous for the tank. But if you're in a tough situation with enemy infantry nearby, this at least gives you an emergency round you can fire to try and stop or suppress them.

Or in a place like Iraq, you can just use it to blast houses with terrorists hiding out in them, or clear an alley they might be in trying to flee from our troops. :)

MikeyD's reasoning for the lack of canister rounds is probably fairly accurate, though I look forward to the powers that be shedding some light on the subject!

Or in a place like Iraq, you can just use it to blast houses with terrorists hiding out in them, or clear an alley they might be in trying to flee from our troops. :)

And take out the whole family with 'em.. hoo-ah!

Oh. Did that just make it kind of awkward?

Not really. If a bunch of cowardly terrorists are in a house hiding behind civilians (which is a scummy low they have proven willing to stoop to, but what do you expect from trash like that?) while firing RPG's at our tanks as they pass, then you return fire before they can kill our men. Whether it be canister or an HE round doesn't really matter (both are very deadly), you do what you have to protect our men, their lives come first. The shame is on the terrorists for behaving in such a dishonorable way, it's on their heads and their's alone.

Anyhow, we're talking about the various possible ways to tactically employ a canister round here. Why bring up hypothetical stuff like this, you can say the same thing of just about any weapon, so what's the point? The situation I mentioned was about a fire fight between our troops and terrorists fighting from inside a building, I didn't say anything about civilians being present, it has nothing to do with my example.

Our troops are in war zone, a thankfully vastly safer and more quiet war zone over the past year, but a war zone nonetheless. Sometimes in war friendly fire casualties are sustained, or maybe civilians get caught in a crossfire, you try to avoid that, but it happens.

My comment was more in response to the rather distasteful and dehumanising tone I find your posts to contain, up to and including your latest. This is a trend I've noticed, going back as far in my memory as the old military pictures thread - which left quite a poor impression on me as well as another member who I believe called you out for it at the time.

Perhaps it is wishful thinking that the tone of discussion always be kept to a more.. well the term escapes me at the moment, so let's just say cultured level, given the content of this forum. I do generally find it is kept to a higher standard however, which is why I felt the issue needed to be raised again in this particular instance.

I don't like canister rounds much they're very hit and miss, you could hit every target with one shot then miss all of them with the next. PELE, airburst frag and beehive rounds are much more consistent in their performance and work against tragets in buildings or trenches, where canister only works against unprotected targets.

Also the lives of soldiers are most certainly not more important than civillians, they are paid to get shot at and die the civillians are not. I know that the US is very carful when there are civillains in the area and won't use any weapons that might hurt them (bombs, shells, explosives in general). If they come under attack by a building they suspect has civillians in it they secure it with infantry, not just blow it up.

Back last winter when MGS was getting bad press over equipment issues and procurement funding almost got held up I read one report that said the majority of the Brigade's 24 MGS vehicles then in Iraq were sitting idle precisely due to concerns about overmatching firepower and unwanted collateral damage. Instead of Iraq imagine we're talking about Brits in N. Ireland during the troubles. 120mm shotgun rounds and 105mm-gun infantry support weapons patrolling downtown Bangor & Belfast would've been seen to be more of a hindrance than a help in resolving the dispute.