Only MBT for red is T-72?

I bought CM: SF today and was pretty disappointed with how everything seems to be changed from the earlier CM series that I love so much. My favorite was always the Quick Battles where you can choose all your units etc.. So I am excited to try a modern warfare version of CM, I install and patch it and then start creating my first QB with it. Well, everything seems dumbed down with much less options. I wanted to command some modern Russian tanks, but the only one I can seem to find is one version of the T-72 under the Republican Guards? Please tell me there are others, just for the sake of variety an old T-54 or T-55? Some other versions of the T-72 possibly? T-80Us or T-84s from Ukraine?

Thanks.

There are plenty of Red tanks, but T-72 is the latest model, as BFC tried to put in a realistic Syrian TO&E. Try "Allah's Fist" mission as red if you want a look at them (briefly).

Your criticisms of the QB system and other changes from CM1 are valid and have been covered here in depth more times than probably neccesary.

Suffice to say battlefront have taken this on board for their next games, but don't let the features missing from CM1 discourage you from playing CMSF. It has evolved into a really nice little game, but you are better off seeking out some good scenarios or player-made campaigns to get the most out of it. See the scenario design forum for more info.

Excellent! I figured they must be in there somewhere. So I just need to play through the campaigns to see them? Hopefully I can use the in QBs as well. I apologize if the original post sounded overly negative and critical. I am a big fan of this series and most likely I just need to get used to the new format of CMx2.

Chris

CelticFrost,

You can look at them straight away if you create your own mini-scenario in the editor.

There are basically three tank formations you can purchase for Red: "Reserve Tank", "Tank" and "Guards Tank". Within each formation you can also vary equipment quality by selecting a rating of "Poor", "Fair", "Normal", "Good" or "Excellent" before you purchase the unit. If you choose a "Reserve" Tank formation with "Poor" equipment, it will probably get T-55s. Page 116 of the manual shows the various tanks available to Red depending on formation type and equipment quality.

N.B. If you change the equipment rating AFTER purchasing the unit it doesn't change the tank model but according to the manual it changes the "reliability" of the tank, e.g. accuracy, chance of a dud/jam, etc.

I went through the same disappointment as you a few days ago. The QB system is totally different and not nearly as good. The game picks from premade maps that are in the qb folder, and most seem very plain without any character. You can get many more maps on the last page at cmmods. Plus you can get about 100 pre-made scenarios. And some nice mods.

CMMODS is the first place to visit after installing any of Combat Mission games. I really can't imagine playing unmodded CMSF! Plus all the scenario and campaign goodness...

Celtic,

If you want to experince Red equipment, Hasrabit campaign is the best way to do so. PaperTiger included a pretty wide array of equipment within the campaign combining it with exellent scenario design. You will love TURMS-T :)

CelticFrost,

You can look at them straight away if you create your own mini-scenario in the editor.

There are basically three tank formations you can purchase for Red: "Reserve Tank", "Tank" and "Guards Tank". Within each formation you can also vary equipment quality by selecting a rating of "Poor", "Fair", "Normal", "Good" or "Excellent" before you purchase the unit. If you choose a "Reserve" Tank formation with "Poor" equipment, it will probably get T-55s. Page 116 of the manual shows the various tanks available to Red depending on formation type and equipment quality.

N.B. If you change the equipment rating AFTER purchasing the unit it doesn't change the tank model but according to the manual it changes the "reliability" of the tank, e.g. accuracy, chance of a dud/jam, etc.

Well said! :)

Thanks for the help guys. So I tried the first mission of the lightning campaign tonight with a couple weird results... I told 2 M1A1s to perch themselves on the berm to their immediate right as a sort of "take a peek" armored recon as my first move. This they did fine but they were parked on the reverse side of the slope with their barrels fully depressed and still pointed at maybe 20 degrees up from the horizon line. Yet they were shooting at and taking out targets that were below the horizon, looked bizarre (never saw anything like that in CM 1 games). So I order the remaining 2 M1A1s next turn to drive past the 2 on the berm and into the flat area beyond. I assumed that since the first 2 could climb the berm these next 2 would be able to climb it as well and then drive a further 40 yards or so. Hehe, they decided to go for a drive *all* the way down to where a road bisected the berm where they exposed their flanks U-turning back to the destination I gave them, a T-55 immobilizing one of them.

Ah well, on the positive side I can say the vehicle models look great.

I assumed that since the first 2 could climb the berm these next 2 would be able to climb it as well and then drive a further 40 yards or so. Hehe, they decided to go for a drive *all* the way down to where a road bisected the berm where they exposed their flanks U-turning back to the destination I gave them, a T-55 immobilizing one of them.

As far as I remember the berm is surrounded by impassable steep slopes everywhere but at four "entry points" facing the Blue friendly map edge. In other words, you can get on top and drive along but you can't get off the berm in the direction of the enemy. This would account for the bizarre behaviour.