CMBB & AK don't work on Vista.

I recently had to dump my 5 yr old PC for a new PC w/ quad processors and naturally got Vista. Also a Nvidia 8800GT card.

Only CMBO plays not BB or AK. I tried resetting the PC for Windows XP but that didn't work either.

What the heck is going on when BO plays not the others.

I'm not that impressed with TOW (it sure looks nice but doesn't play as nicely as the CM games do) and would like AK & BB to be playable as I'm sure thousands of others would.

Will Battlefront address this ?????????

Narses,

Here's where to go for help, our CM Tech Support Forum.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I share your pain, but from another angle. MY 800 MHz dual OS lampshade iMac runs CMBO, CMBB and CMAK fine, but won't run CMSF (presently PC only), lacks the cybernetic horsepower to run Drop Team, can't run TOW (PC only), and certainly won't run HistWar: Les Grognards (PC only) when it comes out. If I replace this rig with an Intel Mac, I now have to replace all my games but CMBO and deal with the to me alien world of PCs.

Good luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

Never ever dump and old PC if you plan on playing any of your older games (which is why I have all my old PCs clear back to my Commadore 64). All games are designed to play on certain OS's, video cards and drivers. The further you get away from the standard that the game was designed to, the more problems you have.

You can always get a KVM switch like me and I can use any one of my current PCs using the same monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

Actually just throwing in a pre-DX10 graphics card will do the trick.

You can also run two graphic cards in the same PC if you have a spare full-size PCIe slot and most LCD displays have two inputs and a switch.

Next time MS tells you to upgrade - don't. Or at least don't complain.

Vista sucks, I've had lots of problems! Kept this new model because it plays CM games (really). Ditto on keep the old machines. Sometimes I want to play Panzer General 2 and have to go back to my old Windows 98 machine. Some of Vista is cool, but lots of problems!

Mike

Vista 64 bit can be a pain but the issue with the old CM titles is DX 10 video cards. With the latest Nvidia drivers for the 8800 175.16_geforce_winvista_64bit_english_whql

I still can't get CMBB or CMAK to run properly. This will also likely turn into a nail in the coffin for CMC unless Bruce and Charles are making arrangements to handle DX10 issues.

The only 2 things Vista 64-bit has done for me is force me to purchase a new printer, scanner and FAX machine, which worked out because I bought a Hewlett-Packard machine that does all three chores at Office Depot.

The second improvement is 4 Gigs. of fast RAM which runs new stuff pretty darn good but Windows operations themselves seem a bit slower then XP did, which was slower then Windows 2000. Windoze itself keeps slowing down and their included Internet tracking software keeps growing.

I stumbled on a way to play CMBO, AK & BB on a Vista with a Nvidia8800GT. I simply bought myself a 15 pin cable and attached it to the video in connection (Blue) in the tower bypassing the 8800GT.

To my amazement it works perfectly.

You are saying you have an onboard video chip that you now use for CM?

The onboard stuff doesn't do DX10, so that should work, yes.

I'm just surprised it works at the same time with a real video card in the same mainboard.

I'm just surprised it works at the same time with a real video card in the same mainboard.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I forgot an important point. You have to unplug the 8800GT card and run off the onboard video accelerator. Pretty easy to do.

But the easiest way as someone here said is to get an older PC. I've just acquired a 2004 Gateway and all CM's run fine on it.

I've been on Vista for a little over a year (it sucks, but XP sucked when it first came out, so, in another year or so, Vista *might* be decent).

I run all my older games in virtual machines w. WinXP (or even Win2000 - better performance), and use older video drivers if need be.

Interestingly, I'm considering UG'ing to a quad core w. an 8800 soon. They seem to have XP drivers for the 8800 that are not DX10 only:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_97.94.html

I used to use a 2nd box, but now with intel macs and VMWare, I don't have to waste the floor space/electricity.

Hope this helps.

DX5?

Isn't that Win98/NT4 only?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx#Release_history

Software is OS dependent, not VM dependent. The VM will support whichever OS the CPU supports.

Heck, I know some folks running DOS in a VM, just for the heck of it. Runs REAL fast!

I even have an OS X VM, using OSx86... has issues, but it's fun to load up and play with. In due time, it'll be bug free and I can run OS X with my other VM's on the same Intel box.

Currently, I have the following OS's in their own VM: Win98SE, NT4 Pro, NT4 Server, Win2kPro, Win2KServer, Win XP Pro, Win2003Server, OS X 10.4, SUSE linux 10.3 and Ubuntu Desktop 8.

Hence the need for a new CPU/RAM/Video Card. I can't run more than a couple of OS's inside of Vista on a P4 2gb RAM.

Additionally, the host OS assumes most of the overhead, even if you assign dedicated RAM to the VM. Ideally, I should be running XP, with Vista in a VM. I'd get better performance.

But, Vista is the future, like it or not, and the sooner I get used to using it (and knowing workarounds), the better.

A LONG time ago, I had 6 boxes in one room. Thank GOD those days are over....Virtualization has been an Admin's Holy Grail.

So, to answer your question: Win98/NT4 support DX5, and those are the OS's to use in your VM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

PS - if you really wanted to be a geek, you could run CM in a separate OS/VM and play TCP/IP on the same box (you'd have to configure the VM's IP's manually). You could them play a battle from both sides at the same time. Might come in handy for scenario designers.

CMx1 uses DX5. DX6-10 are, supposedly, backwards compatible with DX5 except of course the existing DX10 video drivers have bugs in that area. So the DX5 game CMx1 runs on DX6 to DX9, but they still use the DX5 specific API calls.

I found that VMware with it's new DX hardware support does not support DX5 to a point where CMx1 would run.

So I wonder which other virtual machine can do that.

PS - if you really wanted to be a geek, you could run CM in a separate OS/VM and play TCP/IP on the same box (you'd have to configure the VM's IP's manually). You could them play a battle from both sides at the same time. Might come in handy for scenario designers.

No, it doesn't work for CMx1. Unless you have a different virtual machine software that works better than VMware, that's why I ask.

The only emulator ever to run CMx1 is the Cedega version of Wine under Linux.

P.S. I run more junk in VMware than you ;)

Wow. That's whacked.

I run CMx1(BB and AK) and CMSF in Vista, so I've never tried loading CMx1 in a VM.

If you were on a Mac, you could try Parallels, but, your probably not.

Hmmmm...perhaps try Parallels in an OS X VM? hehe...just kidding.....

Do you think using an older OS in a VM might do the trick? Perhaps Win98?

Or, perhaps an older version of VMWare (3.0 or maybe 4) and Win98? 3.0 came out in 2001, so, I would think it would have better support for Win98/NT.

Just an idea....

I don't have a Mac but I know people tried Parallels with CMx1 and it didn't work.

So you don't actually have CMx1 working in a VM, right?

Older versions of VMware can't work since only 6.x introduced basic hardware 3D acceleration.

As I said, the only emulator ever to run CMx1 for me is Cedega's variant of Wine on Linux.

Yeah, it's frustrating. The mess that MS made out of DX also makes it difficult to support DX in virtual machines, all "regular" DX driver problems aside, and that includes MS' own virtual machine software.

I can play TacOps and TOAW in both Wine and in VMware, but CMx1 requires Cedega which I quite honestly don't like much.

I still have a gaming machine with Windows 2000 ready to run, but I can't be bother to fire it up. It feels so old school to have to use that chunky thing with the single-core CABNE Opteron.

are you saying VPC doesn't support DX in it's own VM's?

If so, I guess DX isn't worth the hassles of incorporating into VM apps. Thanks MS, for making DX a total PITA to work with!

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "consumer" VM app built yet. Maybe someday, when VM tech is used in the home more. Remember when a home server was considered *really* geeky?

my curiosity is peaked, so I gave it a go:

CMBO demo loaded in VPC 7.

Haven't played yet, or tried BO, BB or AK.

I'll try loading/playing with these later... but, so far, VPC7 *seems* to be OK.

*hopefully the attachment thingy works*

post-6297-141867620662_thumb.jpg

aw heck...that's some complete *suckage*....

So, the only "single box" solution w. a DX10 card is:

1. downgrade to XP, or

2. create a dual-boot system, with XP on a separate partition.

What a total drag. This VM crap need to get out of the enterprise!

I'd opt for #2, so you can play the modern games w. DX10 support in Vista, and reboot into XP for all the other stuff.

I used to use System Commander, until I moved everything into VM's:

http://eu.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html

Gonna have to go back to the old ways when I upgrade. Back to the future? LOL ....