CMx2 engine

Yes, it is long planned. As far as has been stated by BFC, the next release after the upcoming CMSF marines module will be a WW2 normandy game.

I can't imagine it being along any time soon though, I guess at least a year from now, but that is pure speculation, maybe getting CMSF engine patched up to the desired standard will make the WW2 game quick a lot quicker.

But imagine what they have to add: Weather, European terrain and flavour objects (99% new art), WATER, bridges, models and animations for on map artillery pieces, mortars, proper fortifications, and all the coding and TacAI that goes along with these things.

Well, it's going to be a whole new game, not just a module. So they're going to add lots of things. They've already said they're including water, and mentioned the possibility of making the water retrofittable to CM:SF.

BTW, the CMx2 WWII game will be set in Normandy '44 in case you were curious.

-FMB

AFAIK, Steve has always stated that there is a British Module, and probably an "other NATO" (German, Dutch & Canadian, perhaps?) Module following after US Marines for CMSF. I've never seen anything from BFC that retracts this.

Now, whether these modules are going to be released before or after the first CMx2:WWII is anybody's guess. Steve has intimated that releases for the modern combat title and the WWII title will likely overlap, and indeed that some work on the WWII title has already begun. So there will likely be module(s) for CM:SF still coming out after CMX2:WWII's first release (US Normandy).

I doubt even BFC know exactly how things are going to line up on the calendar... assuming CM:SF Marines gets out the door within the next couple of months (not necessarily a given), my personal SWAG is that CM:SF Brits will precede CMX2:WWII with a late winter or early spring release, and then will see CMx2:WWII in summer-fall '09. I'm completely pulling this out of the air, though.

There's also the Mac version release to factor in there. . . BFC has pretty definitively stated that this is on the schedule to tackle soon after CM:SF Marines is finished, apparently not only to reconnect with Mac customers, but also because Charles prefers to code on a Mac. In any event, my guess is that if at all possible, they'll complete any Mac port before moving on to serious coding of the WWII engine.

Cheers,

YD