AI setup is playing tricks on me

I have an odd problem.

I am working on a scenario and wanted to create the AI setup zones. So I assigin the AI groups, as usual, then paint a the setup zones for the specific groups, but when I start the scen, the units remain on the exact positions I placed them on the map - the AI seems to ignore the setup zones completely. All other AI functions seem to work.

The scenario is using a large, scattered setup pattern, so I thought this might cause the problem at first, but even if I use a single, large setup zone, the units remain where I put them.

The only thing which had an effect was if I painted a red setup zone all over the map, in addition to the AI setup zone, but this also caused the AI to place the units on spots I didn't mark as AI setup zones.

I'm completely clueless what is happening.

Since this is the first and only scenario I had this problem, I wonder if I overlooked something, or if it is just some freak incident.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions?

Are the areas (both set-up zones and AI plan zones) you are painting large enough for the number of units you are attempting to place there?

Also check you have enabled the AI plan assuming there is more than one, and check you are painting the correct side. It's easy to paint for Blue when you meant to do it for Red...

George Mc:

Yes there is enough room for all units, and the AI groups and sides are all set correctly - I double checked on that.

I also tested the scen and the AI group in question does use the movement plans assigned to it, its just not using the setup zones. :confused:

Cpl Steiner:

Yes, usually I only paint the AI setup zones, but I got so desperate I used the map setup zone to see it would have any effect. And the effect was that half the the units in the AI group were clustered in the middle of the map. ;)

Thanks all, your help is very much appreciated, but I come to think I might have a gremlin problem with that scenario. Maybe it helps if I try to delete all AI groups and redo them again.

• 2 months later...

Same here.

Any ideas what can be wrong execpt the zones are to small?

Why we cant set an exact time for the Ai to do, for example, the move?

I want a cooridnated attak from several sides, but you can only klick after 00:00 and before 00:30.

Its just frustration waiting 30 mins to check, if the AI move or not. Should they move instantly, if it is working?

If you clicked before 00:00 and after 00:00 is that a problem? Do you need Setup Zones? I Had only the Command 2 Attack order.

Is the Ai working if only the Reds have a plan? Im playing Blue.

This would be a great help. Thanks alot! smile.gif

I'll send it right away.

I've not received the file - did you send it?

Try this email: georgemc at blowtorchscenarios dot com

Cheers fur noo

George

ps away for the next few days so won't get to my emails till Wednesday.

Same here.

Any ideas what can be wrong execpt the zones are to small?

Why we cant set an exact time for the Ai to do, for example, the move?

I want a cooridnated attak from several sides, but you can only klick after 00:00 and before 00:30.

Its just frustration waiting 30 mins to check, if the AI move or not. Should they move instantly, if it is working?

If you clicked before 00:00 and after 00:00 is that a problem? Do you need Setup Zones? I Had only the Command 2 Attack order.

Is the Ai working if only the Reds have a plan? Im playing Blue.

Ok I've not tried it yet because I'm only just at the stage where I'm fiddling around with the AI and I too have spent a frustrating 45 minutes thinking 'where the hell are they' - only to find out that I'd entered my Red AI plan in the Blue AI box! A possible way around this might be to add some spies close to the waypoints you are setting or to set objectives which are known to both. It might give you more feedback when you are testing your AI plans. Don't take these as gospel though because like you I am new at this game. I just wish the editor was more like OFP! Hope this helps.

A couple of points from this thread, though I may be in error of misunderstanding;

1 - if you manually place opfor units on the map in scenario design that is where they will end up, however if they have an AI set-up zone this will override your manual placing; though note above post that the AI zone needs to be big enough to accommadate.

2- the after 00:00 and before 00:30 isn't minutes it's in seconds, so you don't have to wait 30 min to see if the AI plan is working, just 30 secs.

PS I d/l'd your file to have a look at but it's a baked scenario so can't open in scenario ed. If you still need some help can you re-upload the unbaked version.

Cheers

Ah! My apologies Combatintman, I misunderstood; indeed that would be frustrating for you to have to wait 45 mn to see if your AI is working. If it's any help, my way of testing AI is to have a second rough test map with the main red ai units on and a few blue units scattered in viewing positions set to short cover arc and hide and 'accelerate' the ai times, set them very short and close together so i don't have to wait. that way at least i can see the bare-bones movements are getting in the right place.

Combatintman, one option you have is to just do something else (read a book, watch TV, whatever) while the game runs for 45 minutes, set a timer or something (or just figure out when 45 minutes is from when you start, and wait until then to see what happens. This, of course, only works in purely defensive scenarios, but maybe you could change up your scenario a little bit to enable yourself to do that. Of course, missinginreality's idea is pretty good as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andro, I d/l'd your file last night [nice map by the way] and will endeavour to have a look at it over the weekend. There's a lot of stuff to work through so might take a bit and I may get distracted along the way but will see if I can see anything anyway.

Can I just confirm that the issues you are having is that your AI is not following the specific AI plans you put in? Or is there one specific AI group not doing what it ought?

Sometimes I've noticed that AI behaviour from an in-game event point of view can over-ride AI plans. i.e in one of my scenarios I have set a technical group to advance. However as they always come under fire before they advance they retreat instead! Similarly it is 0400 as your map and they are spotted before they spot Blue.

Maybe this is some underlying reason with your plans? Anyway, will have a look and pass on my 2 cents worth when I can.

AI plan is to attack the Base and the Outpost.

Since they dont move, I complete erase them all, and made the units and the Ai plan new.

If I order Group 5 - 7 to move instantly to the Base, they obay. But:

They dont shot at the enemy in the Buildings. So the trops in Wanat should surppress the forces. So I told them to do and bake the scenario, it worked but the ai plan stuck, no movement groups anymore. :(

And later the 2. attack on the Observation Point the same. The Ai move with no LOS, walk into the OP, get contact and killed one after the other dont fire a single round. Whats wrong with them?

http://rapidshare.com/files/139275439/btl_of_wanat_new_units.zip.html <-- latest file version with new units (normal and baked)

planrf8.th.jpg

Well I had a look at the d/l file this morning and strangely all seems to working in good order?

I ran two tests for about 20 mins each.

1-All Blue set to Hide and micro managed so they stay hidden as much as possible,basically just allowing Red to execute their AI unhindered. This they seemed to do very well, advancing and assaulting the OP and WannatOP during the course of time. I didn't see any Red untis not moving, all groups appeared as much as i could see to be advancing on the two objectives.

2-Re-ran the scenario playing Blue offensively. This obviously changed the Red AI behaviour somewhat, causing groups to either enter "crawl of death" mode, stay where they were or continue their advance. there was a significant difference obviously in Red AI behaviour from the first test where Blue offense was minimal.

Hard to say for me what's working or not but IMHO your AI plans seem to be doing as they're told; only TacAI taking over at times where it usually would.

I didn't totally understand your last post regarding baking but as far as the file I downloaded goes all seems to be in good order. Am I missing something maybe?