we were soldiers

so... anyone ever thought about making a "we were soldiers" campaign?

same map, several battles...

surrounded american infantry with no armor or vehicle support for either side...

could be a good battle...

(didnt much like the film tho... but it just hit me when i was flicking through the channels and noticed that it was on)

The book the film was based upon was excellent. I dont know if the first battle would work or not, but I would love to see it tried.

The second battle would perhaps be more interesting. One battalion was pretty much bushwacked by an advancing NVA unit, which by chance or design found itself in a perfect ambush position. The US battalion was widely strung out, and at least one US company was nearly wiped out. That by itself would be an interesting fight.

Anyone here think that a Vietnam pack would be an excellent future addon for SF?

I went to USMC jungle warfare training and I'm not sure it would translate well into this game. The thing about jungle warfare is that it tends to be up close and dirty with little or no LOS even at point blank ranges. So in CM, the routine would be to send out patrols, who would make contact only when they run directly into the enemy. Then they would be bogged down until one side either dies or decides to pull back. I just don't think that would be very fun.

On the other hand, Vietnam was not all jungle fighting. There are tons of rice paddy engagements, base seiges like Khe San, and urban battles like Hue city. These types of battles might work, but it would be a shame to leave out the jungle battles in a Vietnam game.

You can make jungle (forest) where LOS usually breaks after 40 meters. It not as much as in reality could be, but pretty darn close.

There are two tree types which does this (don't remember which ones), other tree types gives visibility to 80 meters.

I personally love these kinds fights in CMSF. I don't have first hand experience of jungle, but from movies and games. But forexample last summer i was participating light infantry exerices conducted in similar terrain (mostly recon, harasment but bigger actions aswell while trying to gain control of small road traveling thru marsh). And during army we had batallions and bridages working and fighting in this kind terrain during exercises. I don't see severe limitations in tactical level, but most of players don't have intrest to go thru these kind fights... This usually seems to be the issue. Patrols etc smallunit tasks and fights should be left out.

AI is one problem, it's pretty static. Unable to do small scale actions acording to situation. Low visibility terrain requires competent and independent junior leadership able to think with it's brains. But that same limitation for AI goes in MOUT aswell.