Editor help, unit placement

I have set up all the units where I want them to start, but when I start the mission as blue, the red side has some units in the wrong places. I did cut the map down a bit for speed reasons, which initially set all the units off by as much as I cut. So I redeployed them, but some still appear in the wrong places.

What am I doing wrong?

Hm... hard to say.

Sometimes instead of trying to find the bug is just less time consuming to delete the units and add them again.

Sometimes units get on top of each other and you think you place all units but didn't

Rename your units and when playing the mission ask cease fire and see which units are where.

Hope it helps.

--

OK tried that. Still, my units are scattered across the map. I set them up where I wanted them but they still are randomly place when I start the mission. So... this leads me to believe that my ai settings are wrong.

How do I just keep these guys where I want them?

My ai settings are: 1-setup, occupy, normal, 2-hold, occupy, normal.

Should I have NO ai settings?

I guess I don't know why there is a setup zone thing in the map area and one in the ai area.

I have seen this in a scen I was working on, and on, and on. In that case it was because I had not given enough "setup" room for the unit. By the way: during game play testing it came in at the exact location where purchase units show up when "deployed" in the editor. I think we will find that is where the bug is.

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

I think this happens when you dont "bake" the scenario.

Nope. I haven´t baked a single scenario so far.

I think MarkEzra got it.

Now I remember it happening to me too.

If the deployment area you painted is too small for the size of the forces some will show up in the default are.

Wait, but you said they are scattered? that´s really odd.

--

They are definitely not in the default deploy area. That area happens to be in the Blue team setup zone.

Some are near where I put them, some are across the map! Something tells me that the AI is deploying them where it thinks it wants them, because they are showing up in the rather large setup zone I created (since they are indiginous insurgents and militia, I pretty much gave them free reign of the map).

The setup zone has large areas and some small areas. I tried to use the small areas to force the units to stay where I put them, but that doesn't work.

I'll try to fix what you guys suggested, and I'll let you know. BTW... THANKS!!

If I read you right

AI is deploying them where it thinks it wants them, because they are showing up in the rather large setup zone I created
If you create an AI set up zone then the units will be placed randomly inside this area. If you don't create a set up area then the units will always be where you placed them in the deploy screen.

If you want I'll have a look at the file for you

HTH

Pete, thanks man, I think that is the problem.

So... is the setup zone in the map editing area just for human players and the setup zone in the AI editing area just for AI players? Should I just delete the AI setup and leave the map setup zone?

If this doesn't iron out the problem, then I'll send you the file to look at.

As I understand yes the setup zone in the map edit area is for human use only. The AI works to the set up zones created in the AI edit area.

The good thing about having an AI set up zone is that it avoids the AI units from starting in the same place for each plan within a scenario, as you can have different specific AI set up zones for each plan, or larger AI set up zones (for each plan if desired) which will lead to random set up even within the same plan.

Am I making sense here. ?

I've just upload a scenario to cmmod so feel free to have a look at it in the editor for the Red (AI) set up zones and deployment

OK Pete, that makes perfect sense. Now I won't be able to use an AI plan because I specifically need certain units to be in certain places. What I will do is make groups and not use setup zones for a specific group of units, while using AI plans for other unit groups. Thanks man, it's going to take a little while for me to get it all up and running, but the help is much appreciated!