Showing Off The AI: Viper Pass

Viper Pass allows you to play single attacker, defender or 2 player. But what I really had in mind was to produce a scen that I could play as defender and just let it play out like a movie. The AI is VERY Aggressive with 5 different plans each with 8 separate groups and multiple orders, times, and tasks. You can sit back and watch the AI attack or actively defend. Of course you can attack as well. The red defender has 5 plans and 8 groups as well.

Oh, now I read that it is better to play Red in this scenario.

I was wondering, because attacking as Blue was frustrating due to the time limit. Furthermore, the shooting through ridges takes on ridiculous dimensions in this scenario, with whole squads being shot up 20 meters behind the ridges along the valley.

I shall have to replay as Red, but for the time being the setup that spreads out the action over such a large map within such a small timeframe is not exactly my taste!

CM:SF does a great job at rendering the terrain, though!

Best regards,

Thomm

I mistakenly played as blue therefore will play again as red. With the forces arrayed over such a large area, it was difficult to stay on top of the situation in RT. I certainly miss WEGO's playback.

I checked the AI plans, Mark. It was late and my brain was mush, so I'll need time to decipher them later.

Rolls : The idea behind the scen is to see how well the AI can attack. The Attacker and defender BOTH have multiple AI plans, orders and pathing. A single player can play either side. The force balance seems reasonable enough for two players as well. But the real fun is to allow the Blue AI to attack. There are five different attack plans so the player as red will be faced with the possibility of different levels of combat on his flanks or center.

Ric: I don't think anybody has noticed the size of this scen (2000 plus KB) in relation to the "normal" size scen. This is due entirely to the AI coding. I think that scen designers are really going to like the ability to push the AI very specifically to its objectives.

Well that's great news...an AI that can take it to you...

ATGM? Can't say I've had your experience. The BRDMs seem to get a shot or two in before they die. They're very easily killed. I am also playing a PBEM where two of my BMP's fired their ATGM first...took out one Bradley and died for their trouble from another.

Mark

The reason I was complaining about the AI's inability to equip the AT weapons is that many of the dismounted squads would begin the "slow crawl of death" towards any of the Syrian scout cars...only to be MGed to death one by one. I finally figured out they were trying to get into grenade range, since that was the only semi-effective weapon they had to counter the armor. The AI needs to be able to equip the "goods"!

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Mark

The reason I was complaining about the AI's inability to equip the AT weapons is that many of the dismounted squads would begin the "slow crawl of death" towards any of the Syrian scout cars...only to be MGed to death one by one. I finally figured out they were trying to get into grenade range, since that was the only semi-effective weapon they had to counter the armor. The AI needs to be able to equip the "goods"!

An interesting point. Hope they get it sorted out

I'm impressed by the Blue sides AI in this. It does actually mount a very aggressive, relatively methodical, and well-staged attack. Great map, too. My only reservation is the Syrian weaponry, particularly the vehicles provided. They just don't seem to have a chance against US weapons. Having said that, it may be that if I deploy them more carefully, in better ambush locations, I could get a result.

Anyway, nice one Mark Ezra. As you say, an AI that can take it to you . . . BIG plus. I also like the AI multi-plans. It means I can't set up based simply on my knowledge of the previous attack. This looks like another 'under the hood' aspect of SF that maybe marks it out from its competitors. I look forward to seeing more scenarious that exploit this.

I'm going back in now to see what happens second time round.

Okay, the blue AI just beat me again, in a very well-coordinated attack. I suffered a tactical defeat.

One thing that's already been mentioned, I've yet to see a Syrian BRDM2 ATGM let off a single missile, let alone kill anything. They seem to just sit there and die, even when they have a target in sight. Is this a bug?

Oh, and what's 'Baking'?

Handihoc: The BDRM's does fire it's weapons...but much target acquisition seems far too slow...they often die before firing a shot.

Baking is the term that allows the scen designer to give the kind of orders normally found while playing. That allows the AI to act on them during the first turn. The manual gives the example of "baking" a supply columns route in an ambush scen. Baking allows a scen designer to protect his work from changes...something valuable to those who play competitive matches.

Magnomar: Your primary defense against the Blue Attack force is not the BDRM's... Do keep in mind that the Blue attack force will come at you 5 different ways...some of those will not do as well against the Red defenses. You won't find it a walk in the Park as Blue attacker either. I always lose far more Strykers than I think I should...a phyrric victory. The scen is designed to showcase the AI's editor's ability to fight...No need for frustration...I just hope you'll put the scen in the editor and look at how it works...and try out your own designs...

Regarding the BRDMs:

When I played the US side, they killed one of my Strykers all right. The curious thing was that one of my MGSs destroyed the launching vehicle while the missile was approx. in the middle of its flight path. I thought to myself: "Cool, now the missile is going to miss!". Unfortunately, this was not the case ...

Best regards,

Thomm