Smokin'

What's the deal with smokes or lack of thereof?

In CMx1 you'd never attempt charging over open terrain without shooting the place full of smoke from either mortars or gun rounds.

In CMSF however, you can't .. Only sources of smoke I have are from vehicle smoke launchers that shoot right in front of the vehicle so to cover your advance, you'd have to drive stryker right next to the enemy to put smoke on them.. :rolleyes:

Squads also have smoke grenades but they only go about as far as you can throw them. Not very useful again for crossing open terrain.

So am I missing something here or there's no way to put a substantial smoke-screen over a terrain you need to cross? and/or known enemy positions?

I´m just about to finish a PBEM-game (red vs. red) with a friend. On the 4. or 5. turn the battlefield was beginning to cover up with thick black smoke. I asked him how he managed to get smoke with the two 82 mm mortars we both had. He said (between some very intresting curses) that he had ordered a plain two mortar, medium done, anti-personnel shelling immediatly...

So there is smokegrenades, you just don't know when you get them. If you get them.

Overall smoke need serious work. M1 smoke in game is nothing like real life. Handheld smoke is useless, unlike real life. I also have trouble believing that Syrian smoke is supposed to launch itself 500 meters away from the vehicle where it gives absolutely no concealment for the launching vehicle. And, of course, they have to put arty smoke back in the game.

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed: M1 smoke in game is nothing like real life. Handheld smoke is useless, unlike real life.
Let me put it this way. 10 years ago serving in Finnish army we "played" a bit with smoke grenades. The so-called "big" grenade puts up completely ridiculous amounts of smoke. It's not grenade sized as such, maybe about 4/6 of a sixpack. And with ridiculous, I mean RIDICULOUS .. You have guys in windy finnish forest and after about 30 seconds you can see about the guy next to you because of this one smoke grenade.. In around 100m x 100m area.

Being finski army smoke grenade, it's probably eastern european origin. Not like smoke is rocket science..

You should see what happens when you get the bright idea to strap a smoke pot, you know the big ones that the engineers use, to the back of your 113 and drive around to make a smoke screen. Now imagine you hit a bump and the canister pops loose from the straps holding it down and rolls into the open troop hatch. Luckily it ended up sitting upright against the ramp so it didn't set anything on fire. Left a hell of a mess in the back of my track though. Those things take a long time to burn out.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

Overall smoke need serious work. M1 smoke in game is nothing like real life. Handheld smoke is useless, unlike real life. I also have trouble believing that Syrian smoke is supposed to launch itself 500 meters away from the vehicle where it gives absolutely no concealment for the launching vehicle. And, of course, they have to put arty smoke back in the game.

Apparently that's how smoke launcher on Soviet vehicles were designed, don't ask me about the logic behind it though.

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

Apparently that's how smoke launcher on Soviet vehicles were designed, don't ask me about the logic behind it though.

The logic behind those smoke launchers on soviet vehicles is to shoot it to blind the enemy before advancing. Soviet vehicles also have smoke generators (they dump raw fuel in the exhaust) that produces smoke for defensive purposes. But it isn't implemented in CMSF.

The first generation Bradleys we got in... (dating myself here) 87 or 88 had built-in smoke generators too. It sprayed oil directly onto the motor and spewed an amazing amount of smoke out the back of the vehicle. I remember during an NTC rotation we'd go flying in, crank the smoke on, do a 360 to spray it in a big circle, drop the ramp, dump the troops, and haul ass. By the time the smoke cleared we were way the hell downrange.

I wasn't aware that Bradleys didn't have those anymore, to be honest. I wonder why they got rid of them?