Poor Framerate due to missing LODs?

I was playing one of the larger missions and noticed that when looking away from vehicles I had pretty high frames, but once I looked in the direction of vehicles, even vehicles that were really far away, my frame rates would drop to single digits.

Therefore, I think it might be a problem with the LODs of the 3D models not reducing down to an acceptable poly level. Its a shot in the dark, and one that would seem obvious to the modellers, but I really want this game to be awesome and FPS is one crucial aspect of that.

Anyway, cheers!

Bump. I know exactly what you are talking about Phaeden! I happen to own Theatre of War and CM:SF and while both of these games exhibit this behavior to some extent, CM:SF performs at a much widely exaggerated range of frame rates.

TOW usually runs between around 15-40 frames on my 8600GTS system, while CM:SF swings anywhere from a lowly 6 FPS to well over 100 depending on the view of the map. I have to keep my screen views a bit below the map horizon or the game starts chugging horribly. I first noticed this in the Factory Outlet mission........

What's the point of starting a post like that and not mentioning what your hardware is?

BFC said they will look into maybe giving us more control over LOD, as in tune our own points where it gets in and out. So far we were talking terrain, not sure whether anything is done for vehicles.

[ August 02, 2007, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

@Redwolf, the reason I didn't include system specs for this thread is that it would be irrelevant. It doesn't matter what type of system I have if the question is about LODs.

However, since you ask:

Dual Core 3.0 Ghz Pentium

7800 GTX Nvidia

4 GB RAM

• 3 weeks later...

Steve and Co.

I wanted to bump this thread because I think the original poster had some valid questions about graphics handling concerning the LOD implementation.

Would it be possible for the development team to have a look at this issue? Frame rates are bouncing like a yo-yo for me, and based on what others have posted, it would seem that others are having problems especially with larger maps regardless of the power of their hardware.....

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

If you guys see particular vehicles that are slowing you down, let us know what you think they are. As far as we know everything has their correct 4 levels of LOD. It is possible, however, that a few of them aren't getting called correctly, or something like that.

Steve

Well, in my case, I don't "see" any particular units at all. I know the buildings I'm viewing 2 kilometers in the distance have at least a company of infantry in them. And I also know that if I center my camera view on those buildings with a horizon view, my frame rates drop off tremendously......If I start to zoom that view in, so that the buildings are moving progressively closer to the camera, the frame rate will gradually increase.

I've had a similar experience with one large map (the Factory Outlet battle) and my theory is that the size of the maps has a direct bearing on this problem. The only 2 maps for the stand alone scenarios that exceed 2 sq km are the Factory Outlet (2.89 sq km) and the Allah's Fist scenario maps (2.39 sq km). My system can manage the second one but I'm down to 7 fps when I look down the 'long side' of the Factory Outlet map, however much I downshift my graphics settings. All the others I've played (and I've still got a couple to go) have run very well.

Apart from the two mentioned above, the other maps are below 1 sq km (most well below) and some are tiny (e.g. Al Huqf 0.07 sq km). I've found I can put large numbers of units on a small map but large maps kill your fps even with small numbers of units. What this amounts to is inability (at least on my system) to play scenarios at realistic opening ranges for modern weapons. If the scenario is the land warfare equivalent of a "knife fight in a telephone box" it works fine. This doesn't change my high opinion of this game; if you accept the limitations you will have a great time playing it.

My system

P4 3.2 ghz

Geforce 6800 GT 256 Mb

1024 DDR Ram

Those really small maps remind of one of those "trainer" fake cities used by the FBI and sometimes the military to simulate urban environments.

We've moved into the modern era with weapons that are lethal out to a couple clicks so we can (realistically) play on maps the size of a movie set?

That makes a lot of sense......

You can I think have a realistic scenario on a small map provided you design it as the closing stage to something bigger that has already happened. Since that is about is clear as mud smile.gif I had better give an example.

I really enjoyed the Al Fubar scenario which assumes that some of the units had been ambushed and had to hold out until they were rescued. In fact any scenario which assumes that concealment/stealth has brought the fighting down to close range could work. But for a realistic scenario involving tanks and ATGMs in which manoeuvre plays a part and weapons are engaged at their maximum effective ranges you would need a map of 16-25 km, many times bigger than the Factory Outlet battle.

It would be great if Battlefront could fix this, by giving us less demanding large maps, but maybe that isn't possible.

"I've had a similar experience with one large map (the Factory Outlet battle) and my theory is that the size of the maps has a direct bearing on this problem."

Oh man, yes!! It is a slow slide show to play this map. I wonder if anyone plays it with no lag issues?!?

If I position the camear near the city and look back at the US forces there is no hesitation, the camera moves perfectly but if I put the camera where the US troops are and point it towards the factory the game becomes unplayable. There really aren't anymore US units than in other maps and the graphis for the factory is no more intense that other maps so I wonder if the problem is really the backgroud, such as the mountains in the distance.

Bill

That's a nice system Mishga! smile.gif I think your specs say it all-the "suggested" system requirements for this sim appear to have been on the optimistic side, unless all you want is skirmishes on small maps. What it must be like playing at the minimum spec I can't imagine. Hopefully Battlefront will be able to do something to help in future patches.

Hi

I tried running, The Factory outlet. Had no real problems.Moved to the wall with everything in 3 mins.Moved the camera toward the mtn still fine.The only problem i had was the loading time of the battle was extra long. Try to keep camera at ground level if you move,it helps.

Core 2 duo @ 2.13

2gb ram

Nvidia 7600gs 256 mb

xp sp2

Originally posted by WW2Wargamer:

Hi

I tried running, The Factory outlet. Had no real problems.Moved to the wall with everything in 3 mins.Moved the camera toward the mtn still fine.The only problem i had was the loading time of the battle was extra long. Try to keep camera at ground level if you move,it helps.

Core 2 duo @ 2.13

2gb ram

Nvidia 7600gs 256 mb

xp sp2

What mountain? Are we talking about the same mission?

Originally posted by WW2Wargamer:

HI Slaphappy

YES the same battle Factory Outlet. If you play it and you move the camera to the factory outlet You will see in the distance a background of mountains.

OK, gotcha.

Just curious, what frame rate are you getting from that view before mission start?

@ Steve - Thanks so much for this good news. Hopefully the improvement will be substantial enough to move frame rates into the "reasonable" zone. At 6-7 FPS, playing the game is liking trying to walk through waist-deep mud.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Check out v1.03 when it comes out (soon) because we've changed the way terrain is drawn and handled. This was in part to increase framerate on larger maps but also to make them look nicer.

Steve

Lets hope that the terrain can hide stuff you can't see either <ahttp://community.battlefront.com/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'> Z-buffering/culling seems to work very bad in some cases. See this this post for more details. I think that in some cases this causes more problems than poor LOD:s.

/Mazex