Game freezes

When im mid way thru a game i will click on something and suddenly the screen just freezes??

I have all latest drivers etc and run in window mode.My specs are more than adequate too...any ideas??Happens 2/3 times...gettin frustrated. :mad:

Posted this in another thread about random freezes:

Specs:

Inspiron 9300

2 ghtz Pentium M

2 GB RAM

Nvidia 6800go with 256RAM

Audigy 2 sound card

I have the latest Direct X and Nvidia drivers

When I say random, I mean it happens at various times for no rhyme or reason. I could play for 45 minutes without a problem then screeeech! Or I could have just started and be in the forces setup mode. There seems to be no single thing that causes it to freeze. Sometimes I have to power down but sometimes I can Ctrl-Alt-Del and get back to desktop.

I have the same problem than Pak40 : random freezes. I can play an afternoon long without a problem or another day, getting freeze while loading a mission.

My config :

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1 GB RAM

Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256Mo

XP Pro SP2

Of course, I have all latest drivers and DirectX 9.0C

On the other hand, my PC never lock up and I always can get back to desktop with windows tab.

[ April 24, 2007, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: oxi81 ]

Two more suggestions:

- try changing the windows page file size. In XP, the page file settings are there:

Start – Settings – Control Panel – System – Advanced tab – Performance Settings group – one more Advanced tab – Virtual memory. There, click “Custom size” and set both the “Initial size” and the “Maximum size” to at least 2000 MB, 3000 is MUCH better.

- unload extra programs that are running in the background - download managers, converters, etc.

SIO

I just downloaded the game yesterday. Played 3 times, 3 freezes! Only way out is to restart the machine. No other program is running in the background and was not even connected to the Internet. All freezes at different times.

Used the Editor for hours without any problems.

My specs:

AMD 64 3500+ (2.21Hz) 1,50 GB of RAM

Win XP Pro - ServPack 2

MSI GForce 6600 GT

On a side note:

The game seems awesome. Devs should concentrate on fixing and patching technical issues like this and totally disregard other requests that have to do with gameplay and even personal preferences from people that probably wont like this game anyway. Top priority should be given to have this game running smothly for everyone, as much as possible.

-

Constant freezes

I really hate being a beta tester, this game runs worse than a microsoft first release. Let me rephrase that a microsoft first release runs better than TOW.

Game freezes, able to force quit to windows, tried settings recommented for freezing no luck just less constant freezing. So far this game is unplayable. I have never been able to get through the first mission of the campain.

When running TOW gets very slow and choppy when the action starts, the pause feature is the only way to direct units at that point. Looks like a video issue, it does not always feeze when the action is heavy it usually feezes later in the game when the action is light or at the very start of action.

1024 x 768 resolutuion.

GForce 5900 ultra 256mb

P4 2.6 HT

3 gb ram

Latest drivers Nvidia

XP Pro Sp2 fully updated

Antivirus Mcafee, crashes with and without

4GB Swap file

Soundblaster Auidigy 2 latest drivers EAX off on the game no music

I hope someone figures this out soon so far "TOW Does Blow". NRP (not ready for production). I keep trying but the game aint buying. I could go on.....Hows about a fix already

GB

I have to say that the freezes are really annoying and yes, the game becomes unplayable since there is no way to finish a mission!

On the other hand it runs real smooth on my machine, which is hardly high end. I still have to use Fraps to check the frame rate but it doesn't look choopy and there is no stuttering either even when there is a lot going on.

I also had no problem downloading, installing or with the licensing like some people have reported. Maybe I was lucky!

I'm having a lot of fun learning the editor which is what I'll be messing with until BF/1C find a way around this issue.

Again, PLEASE BF/1C, stop reading the other forum and forget about LOS and targeting and other minor adjustments. In my opinion those are not even issues.

What this game needs for sure is to have some major incompatibility issues sorted out fast.

But I need to say that I new all that before ordering so I did not expect anything different. What I do expect is that BF/1C take this seriously ,which I'm sure they will, and I'm confident soon we will be able to enjoy this game as it should be.

-

FYI, while waiting for the patch, I've turned of shadows in the Video Options. So far I've played three battles without any freezes which was not possible to play even one battle before turn them off.

Wish I could test it more but I've been busy with other things.

Originally posted by Moon:

Webwing, we should have a list of the first fixes addressed in the first patch later this week. Fingers crossed.

Martin

Thanks Martin!

Just so you know, I tried disabling music and EAX and did not help.

Disabled shadows (along with music and EAX) and have not experienced a freeze so far.

Haven't had time to play much so I'm not sure if this fixed it for sure or not. Same situation as Pak40. Apparently is the graphics and not the sound that are the problem.

Anyway, looking forward to having may shadows back! :D

--

[ May 01, 2007, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

by choppy I mean when you start panning sround during heavy action the machine cannot keep up with the game. If I dont pan then it runs fine but its hard to check the battlefield watching from the top row of the bleachers. I have run some pretty high end games on my machine without issues. Time for a quad core and GF 8800 card.

I await the patch, until them my Tow is a no go for me. I need to win already.

GB

GB

If you open Windows task manager you'll find out how CPU hungry this baby is!!! 100% use, all the time the mission is going on!! A good vid card should help but a good processor should come along!

Now that I can actually finish the missions and test my missions made in the editor I can say, that yes it can gat choppy if you really increase the units.

I lowered the quality settings and it has improved the performance quite a bit. I'm also thinking of upgrading my machine but for now this will do.

--

Don't know if this will help anyone but it looks like it solved my CTD and freezes so far ...my card is a gf6800 and I was using latest drivers like everyone says which were 93.71 ...I was nosing around over on Nvidia's forum and it looks like a lot of people having problems with 93.71 ..so I uninstalled those drivers and installed the drivers I had before 91.47 ..so far (knock on wood) no freezes and no CTD. Nvidia must have a problem with 93.71.

Regards,

Gunz

Well I went ahead and bought the full version. Bad thing is, it's still locking up on me. I find if I Windows Key + D I'm able to get to my desktop and then use Task Manager to end the game. That's a positive, no more hard booting my PC. The bad thing is that the game is still locking up even though I turned off shadowing. I have a GeForce 7800 with the latest driver so it's kinda annoying that it's locking up. Hopefully the patch will deliver and fix my issue.

Ok got my first freeze today while playing Razors edge. After the first reinforcements I'm handling the Germany patrol looks like it scripted to go certain route while fixing on them the game freeze’s. I still have sound and I still have mouse control but can not do anything the I have to sleep mode out then come back up and look at task manager and the program is not responding it states then off it goes to Microsoft with the error dumps not sure if those get handed off to you guys. But the program seems to hang up for some reason.I fixed the proble, by deleting the old ~user.usr file

[ May 03, 2007, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Wolfseven ]

For me, I can load the battle in the demo just fine, but the training scenarios (where it doesn't ask for units) all hang when loading, after the progress bar is about 10% filled. All of them at the same location of the progress bar.

Opteron 148

DFI SLI-DR

2 GB PC3200

7800GTX

Windows 2000

Nvidia drivers 93.71

DX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

As I said, the battle works fine, just the training missions do not.