I think Theatre of War is amazing.

virgil_182

I wrestled for about a week with the decision to purchase Theatre of War. A large part of my indecision due to the recent forum posts claiming that, as a title it is dead, and was not much good to begin with.

I took a chance, purchased the game, and I must say I disagree with much of the negative posts.

I think it is amazing, all things considered.

Yes, it has flaws, I've never played a computer game that didn't. No, it isn't a perfect simulation of the infinite complexities of reality, I've never played a computer game that was.

I think Theatre of War manages the knife edge balancing act of doing an excellent job at creating a very immersive, very "real" feeling tactical environment, that looks beautiful, and is incredibly fun and immersive to play. I have yet to play another WWII themed tactical RTS that even comes close to maintaining that balance for me. Theatre of War feels and plays much more like a polished simulation than an RTS, and I am enjoying it immensely.

Every computer game no matter the genre must deal with the same, necessary, abstractions of reality and balance of game play. Each dev team does this in their own own way, and I think Battlefront has done it amazingly well with TOW.

I sincerely hope that it is not, in fact, true that TOW is destined to be forgotten.

I fully second this view.

And yes, computers do not (yet) do miracles. And yes, TOW is tactical. And great.

As for the "TOW dead title" stance, never mind. But the very specific focus and relative overall difficulty do not help in making it a hit for the masses. Not to mention the sometimes questionable support : mind the German version of the Uberpatch has not been released, resulting in hardly a message being posted on the German forum nowadays. Sad.

My guess is that these games are never going to be hits for the masses. They are too involved, too detailed, and frankly, too good. The masses are typically not very reliable judges of quality. Perhaps I should have titled my thread "an open letter to the community AND the developers concerning an amazing game"

Agreed. The support issues I read about are a concern. The posts give the impression that the community feels like they, and TOW have recently been abandoned. It would be a shame if the rumor mills and normal forum tendencies towards doomsday posts were, in fact, indicative of waning support for a game that seems to have so much potential for future expansion.

I know Battlefront is moving forward and their labor of love continues, focusing on the new engine. Although I eagerly wait to see what the CMx2 engine will do for the experience in the promised WWII theatre, I've played the CM:SF demo and much of the magic got lost in translation. (Not entirely, mind you, due to the difference in time period.) Interestingly enough I read much the same sentiment concerning moving forward from CMBB and CMAK.

In a nutshell that is why I posted. To express my thanks for a game that seems to be an excellent middle ground, a balance between aging engines, and new ones. An experience that feels more complete than the sum of either either extreme.

I agree that TOW is an excellent product.. even though I still have difficulties with its performance.. not sure why as my machine is more than capable. Anyways I hope that they add on to this game.. maybe make TOW into the new CMC.. instead of the CMBB or CMAK engine in the future.. possibly after they realease CMC at all. Again, I hope they add more units, more scenerios, and maybe even a operational Dynamic campaign you can play from 1939 to say... 1946?? I love the graphics and the detail, just wish there was more of it. But hey, I love detail. I heard that there was a download somewhere where someone added mods to the game, or more units and such. Anyways cheers to the developers!

Originally posted by Juergen2SS:

But hey, I love detail. I heard that there was a download somewhere where someone added mods to the game, or more units and such. Anyways cheers to the developers!

You can find the mod here

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=001771

be sure to scroll all the post because there is and up date of the mod that correct some error in some missions briefings and textures. is a great mod.

This mod add some units and change some mission in the campaign and the single missions and add some missions too.

Also here

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=001791

there is a new of a new game based in the TOW engine that was confused with the add on. something that makes me think there will be an add on or a new game? any way some of the feature asked for TOW as smoke enter able buildings hand to hand combat are there looks very interesting I really hope there should be an add on to TOW.

here is more information.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=001813

Thanks RedBear, I do think that TOW is a great platform that should be added to. Its difficult to make the first game completely 100%. I believe in the folks at BF and all the developers that they will add on to this beautiful game, with more Units, and different theatres of operations, like the Western Front, and Italian theatres.

I believe that too i think the are adding things on the way. I was watching the new game and more of the things people complained are there smoke building the infantry looks better on the paper. I thin they are good in the simulation part with all the ballistic and something but they lack experience in simulating human behavior. also i think there should be a good campaign or mission generator i don't think the way falcon 3 or falcon 4 that where difficult system, but something that could add to the replayable value of the game. when you play all the missions that's it. I don't graps the mission builder and the surprises is kill with that.

+1.

I'm really enjoying this. I started playing after the Uberpatch, so missed most the angst from the release date. I till ya, there is just something addictive about this game. Every night I walk into my den thinking, "Okay, tonight I'm gonna (build this, watch this, practice guitar...etc)". Then I think, "Okay, one quick game of ToW,then I'll do...". After each battle its, "Well, one more quick one. I can save it and finish later". Hours later it's time for bed and the only thing I've done all night is play ToW!

Hello All,

Well it's been awhile sence my last post. I agree with others here that ToW is a Great Game.

I have not played it in a few months due to the fact no one is ever around to play. I say this I just played the game vs AI and It is Truely a work of art. I play my own missions and the ai is truely wonderfull at attacking and defending.

This game is best played with extended time limits I usually play mine at 1 hour matches. This allows you to take your time and set up your men and to select the men and units you wish to command. I still havn't found any game that gives me the chance to play a war like ToW does.

In closing I am saying that 1C has a perfect game here with a few slight additions. Please don't let this game fall by the way side. When you finally find the right mix you will make Millions, the question being will you keep trying to find the right mix. Maybe you should contact me as to what I have in mind you have my email address feel free to ask if you like. Just don't give up it is the beginning of a Mulit-Million dollar game.

I also didnt play the game for some months, mostly because of work and I fell out of playin it. Had some good games with Jmayer i think though, some months ago.. Multiplayer is really awesome in this game, apart from the bugs etc.

I see the new mod is in place. How is it working?

I thinking of startin it up again, however I dont have a lot of time.