What would you expect from this ambush?

SirReal

Originally posted by Kettenhund:

Rune, do you know abot this ammunition type for 75mm Kw.K. 37 L / 24:

Gr.38 Hl / A High Explosive Anti-Tank (penetration data for RHA plate @ 30° 0 m - 1000 m ---> 70mm

Gr.38 Hl / B High Explosive Anti-Tank (penetration data for RHA plate @ 30° 0 m - 1000 m ---> 75mm

Gr.38 Hl / C High Explosive Anti-Tank (penetration data for RHA plate @ 30° 0 m - 1000 m ---> 100mm

PZIV Ausf. A-F was able to destroy T34 up to 1000 meters. But, also deadly sure on 50 meters.

Next think is quality of russian poor moulding amor steel...

Yeah, but SirReals tanks do not have that ammo?!?!

My fazit would be: nice ambush, but the mission is perhaps unbalanced.

Best regards,

Thomm

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kettenhund:

PZIV Ausf. A-F was able to destroy T34 up to 1000 meters. But, also deadly sure on 50 meters.

Next think is quality of russian poor moulding amor steel...

No it wasn't. Up until Ausf. F2 model IV tanks had next to no chance to penetrate T-34. Ausf. F2 was a direct development to counter the threat T-34 posed.

Study before making claims.

-jippo

The Gr.38 Hl entered service in June 1939.

Some clues can be gleaned from Hogg in German Artillery of World War Two where he says of the original Gr.38 Hl design that “...few were used since it was soon replaced by the improved model Hl/A.” I can speculate that the late model Gr.38 Hl/C was used very late in the war because it was developed for so few weapons; nearly all German HEAT projectiles are either Gr.38 Hl/A or Gr.38 Hl/B.

Gr. 38 (Hl) was cartainly in use in June 1939

Gr. 38 Hl/A was certainly in use in May 1942

Gr. 38 Hl/B was certainly in use in December 1942

Gr. 38 Hl/C was certainly in use in April 1942

Gr.38 Hl and Gr.39 Hl - Granate Hohlladung. This is the original design for German hollow charge projectiles. It had a deep conical cavity, a short ogive, and a flash tube extending from the base of the fuze to the base of the filling.

Gr.38 Hl/A and Gr.39 Hl/A - Granate Hohlladung pattern A. This is an improved design. It had a wider flash tube that did not extend beyond the liner apex and a longer ogive to give a greater stand-off distance. Both changes were to prevent interference with the formation of the plasma jet.

Gr.38 Hl/B and Gr.39 Hl/B - Granate Hohlladung pattern B. This design is externally the same as the pattern A. It had changes to the explosive filling in an attempt to produce a thicker plasma jet that would be more resistant to the spin of the projectile.

Gr.38 Hl/C and Gr.39 Hl/C - Granate Hohlladung pattern C. This design is externally the same as the pattern A and pattern B. It had an additional inverted funnel in front of the explosive in a further attempt to counter the effects of the spin of the projectile on the formation of the plasma jet.

@Jippo

Dont call me unstudy... OK?

[ May 03, 2007, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Kettenhund ]

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

I still haven't gotten it yet.

Ask hotmail why. It got delivered ok:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">May 3 11:47:36 gator courierd: started,id=00000000004087A8.000000004639AFA6.000073C9,from=<(sirreals_email_blanked)>,module=esmtp,host=hotmail.com,addr=<(normal_dudes_email_blanked)>

May 3 11:47:36 gator courierd: Waiting. shutdown time=none, wakeup time=none, queuedelivering=1, inprogress=1

May 3 11:48:33 gator courieresmtp: id=00000000004087A8.000000004639AFA6.000073C9,from=<(sirreals_email_blanked)>,addr=<(normal_dudes_email_blanked)>: 250 <4639B006.3080204@linkdata.se> Queued mail for delivery

May 3 11:48:33 gator courieresmtp: id=00000000004087A8.000000004639AFA6.000073C9,from=<(sirreals_email_blanked)>,addr=<(normal_dudes_email_blanked)>,size=4756930,success: delivered: mx4.hotmail.com [65.54.245.104]

May 3 11:48:33 gator courieresmtp: id=00000000004087A8.000000004639AFA6.000073C9,from=<(sirreals_email_blanked)>,addr=<(normal_dudes_email_blanked)>,size=4756930,status: success</pre>

Originally posted by rune:

Not at home, what is the month and year of that scenario?

Rune

Where do I check that? It's the Battle of Dubosekovo. 1941 sometimes.

The PzIVC are equipped with Gr38 Hl/B (rated 86mm penetration).

No they are not. Look at your own screenshot, there is not a heat round there. I just doubled checked the screenshot, 21 APC rounds, NO heat.

Besides, if the round was in production and intruced in December 1942, why would you think you had it in 1941?

Rune

[ May 03, 2007, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: rune ]

No they are not. Look at your own screenshot, there is not a heat round there. I just doubled checked the screenshot, 21 APC rounds, NO heat.

Besides, if the round was in production and intruced in December 1942, why would you think you had it in 1941?

Rune

No, it's not currently loaded into the breech at the time of the screenshot. The tanks do have them, though - I've checked that. (At least one of them - didn't bother with the others).

As to WHY the tanks have them, and whether or not it's historically accurate, I leave up to 1C and battlefront.com.

Elvis, and Dude,

Look at the saved game file when you get it. The tank he has the screenshot on has ZERO Heat round and 21 APC rounds as indicated to the shell to the right of the gun.

The only possible heat round that one of the other tanks may or may not have is the first generation, which had an penetration of 44mm IF I remember correctly. Still not enough to take it out.

Rune

Elvis, and Dude,

Look at the saved game file when you get it. The tank he has the screenshot on has ZERO Heat round and 21 APC rounds as indicated to the shell to the right of the gun.

The only possible heat round that one of the other tanks may or may not have is the first generation, which had an penetration of 44mm IF I remember correctly. Still not enough to take it out.

Rune

FFS, rune, you're digging yourself a hole there. The tanks DO have HEAT rounds. One of them only has one, the others have four each. The tooltips states that they're Gr38 Hl/B.

OK....I have played this file about 8 times now. The first time I took out all enemy tanks and lost 2 friendly tanks. And I only lost that after having eliminated all but one Russian. Second time I lost all 5 of mine without taking out a single enemy. The other times had similar results. If I eliminated all enemy tanks I always had at least 2 friendly left and if I lost all mine I didn't kill more than 1 enemy.

I did notice that in the ones where I got wiped out almost always the overrunning infantry helped.

If anyone wants to play a fun little battle within a battle this is loads of fun. Edge of the seat stuff. Lots of blowing up clinkity clackity things.

Thanks just got it.

I only played it through one time, I have a busy day ahead of me.

The tanks do have HEAT rounds, just not in the breech.

I almost managed to win the first time through, one T-34 died quickly, but then the tankers just stood there and watched themselves get shot to pieces. Not sure why. Although I do notice that many of the tankers have very low skill levels.

Anyhoo, I don't like the setup of the ambush. Too close range for an inferior tank like the IVC. When I did this scenario it was absolute slaughter for the Russians. I had my tanks set up along the trenches, and the T-34s never got past their starting point.

Not to mention, it isnt really an ambush as the AI already knows you are there, what with those infantry in the trenches to the right.

I think it isn't so much an issue of penetration values as it that the gunners are way too damn slow getting rounds off.

I never said they didn't have any HEAT, I asked Elvis to check since the screenshot you have doesn't show any. Matter of fact, rereading what I posted I CLEARLY ask Elvis to check the other tanks. Remember, I said I am not at home and don't have access to the scenario.

Date of the battle still makes a difference. Should be in the briefing.

Memory may be bad, will have to look up penetration value of the first generation of the HEAT round.

Rune