Mission Editor

Cincinatvs

Originally posted by Avwriter:

Are you sure that trenches are not permanently hardcoded into the maps?

Don't have any idea

Originally posted by Freaky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dmg:

You may change them in the map editor tool (not in the MissionEditor). The map editor will be issued later... soon smile.gif ...

Damned sh..t :( How hell to set up defense mission :confused:

Mapeditor is only a wet dream :mad: </font>

Originally posted by Freaky:

You may change them in the map editor tool (not in the MissionEditor). The map editor will be issued later... soon smile.gif ...

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Freaky:

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Freaky:

Guest lmgroth

I wonder how finely the map editor can edit the terrain elevation details?

Will we be able to simulate small gullies, elevated roadways, irrigation ditches, embankments, hedgerows, etc?... the types of things that CM abstracted?

If so... will having this increased amount of detail over the regular maps cause a performance hit (ie causing excessive LOS/LOF calculations)?

I'm sure we'll find out pretty quick WHEN the editor is released (optimism intended ;) )

Originally posted by GlenLivet4Me:

I wonder how finely the map editor can edit the terrain elevation details?

Will we be able to simulate small gullies, elevated roadways, irrigation ditches, embankments, hedgerows, etc?... the types of things that CM abstracted?

If so... will having this increased amount of detail over the regular maps cause a performance hit (ie causing excessive LOS/LOF calculations)?

I'm sure we'll find out pretty quick WHEN the editor is released (optimism intended ;) )

I think thats the answer, it seems that we will have only the same limited features like the Il-2 editor :( .

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=001076

Lets hope we can remove objects like the damn trenches, in Il-2 editor it was not possible except you destroy it :rolleyes:

Something like Mapping Mission would be great! Why would'nt have the ToW's Map Editor the same features? Ability to import bitmap elevations, ability to build maps “on top of” a map underlay such as a scanned topographic map,..

--

I'm not sure but it seems that the Map Editor will be for static objects that are on the map mesh, like houses, trees, trenches, etc. I don't think we will be able to alter the the terrain mesh from what I read.

Also the map size can be altered in the Mission Editor. At least the area where the missions take place. Most missions use half the area.

--

Originally posted by Webwing:

--

I'm not sure but it seems that the Map Editor will be for static objects that are on the map mesh, like houses, trees, trenches, etc. I don't think we will be able to alter the the terrain mesh from what I read.

Also the map size can be altered in the Mission Editor. At least the area where the missions take place. Most missions use half the area.

--

Yes, the current version of the map editor will be used for placing static objects only.

--

It's going to be pretty much like some other games... OPF or ARMA, where you can't mess with the terrain but add a few objects and basically concentrate on the mission itself.

The terrain in those games though is a lot more varied than TOW.

It seems to me that the way the mesh is done in TOW the texture is one big image file and not tiled textures for specific materials, grass, mud, etc ala CM.

So it's more like a modding thing, editing the mesh in 3DMax and then doing the image in Photoshop and then codding the elevation and materials in some sort of utility released by the Devs or made by some modder. Not a trivial process for most.

--

Originally posted by dizee:

argh. so we are stuck with this set of maps? :/

and is it confirmed that all terrain types are just images, and have no influence on cover/concealment?

No, terrain types are not just images. Terrain consists of several image layers. One of these layers is responsible for AI processing (the others are resposible for heightmap, rendering, noise, etc). There are two reasons why they are not modded: 1) the process of preparation of these maps is quite complicated 2) All the ingame maps are based on real topographic maps and have just been manually tuned by our artists.

[ May 02, 2007, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: dmg ]

As somebody who reverse-engineered the Squad Assault map format without any support or documentation to extract terrain elevation and placement of objects for feeding this data into a ray tracer, I think that you should not underestimate the capabilities of modders! ;)

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

As somebody who reverse-engineered the Squad Assault map format without any support or documentation to extract terrain elevation and placement of objects for feeding this data into a ray tracer, I think that you should not underestimate the capabilities of modders! ;)

Best regards,

Thomm

I agree!

It's not going to be something that a casual player is going to do but for Modders... I don't see the problem.

The only thing is that some more popular games have big modding communities but wargames like TOW I'm not so sure if it would attract the same people. Let's hope.

-

Originally posted by dmg:

No, terrain types are not just images. Terrain consists of several image layers. One of these layers is responsible for AI processing (the others are resposible for heightmap, rendering, noise, etc). There are two reasons why they are not modded: 1) the process of preparation of these maps is quite complicated 2) All the ingame maps are based on real topographic maps and have just been manually tuned by our artists.

Maybe "based" but far away from real landscape, im sure the mapartist never saw the seelower heights :rolleyes: