Theatre of War Screenshots

flintlock

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flint,

I believe a few folks have already asked you this. Could you please share with us what video settings and resolution you are using and what video card you have.

Do you use photoshop on some of these pics or they are direct screen shots?

I have the video settings at MAX but can't get this quality! Should we use anti-aliasing manually on the card or let the game adjust it?

Appreciate your help soldier!

Over and out.

Originally posted by Xerxes the Great:

Flint,

I believe a few folks have already asked you this. Could you please share with us what video settings and resolution you are using and what video card you have.

Do you use photoshop on some of these pics or they are direct screen shots?

I have the video settings at MAX but can't get this quality! Should we use anti-aliasing manually on the card or let the game adjust it?

Appreciate your help soldier!

Over and out.

Its actually not that hard. He is just using a high resolution and pasting it in a small resolution. From say 1280x1024 of the original screen shot to 640x480 makes the image quite sharp since all those pixels are in a smaller area. That is how you get those sharp resolution screen shots.

Wokelly,

So you are saying that he is not getting these crisp images and resolution in the game itself?

Wow, I thought it had to do with the video card and whether or not the shading and antialiasing is set on the video card or is set to be adjusted by the game itself.

Would sure be cool to get that level of clarity in the game itself. I'd never be able to get anything else done!!

Over and out.

However, the quality of the textures, shading and ilumination seems better in the screenshots posted by flintlock.

flintlock, are your screenshots straight from TOW, or are you applying some kind of post-processing?

Could you please tell us which Graphic card, drivers and settings are you using to get those excellent screenshots? I would love to get that image quality in my computer, and I am ready to buy a new graphic card... I think I want a card similar to the one you are using !!!

Txema

Wokelly,

So you are saying that he is not getting these crisp images and resolution in the game itself?

Well at least the crispness of the image is done by the way I said. Its pretty simple to see how, bring up one of your screen shots and look at it stretched to fit the whole screen. Then adjust the size of the screen to fit a quarter. You will see the resolution becomes much sharper.

As for everything else, well it could be his video card or some photo shop.

Wokelly, Flint, and all

I figured out how to make the game look even prettier! The problem was I was letting the game to adjust the AA and AF. Unfortunately, this game does not handle AA/AF internally. Most games do but not this one. I wish the mods and developers would have alerted us earlier.

So, what I did was to manually set the AA and AF and the contrast/brightness/Gamma in the ATI control panel for my ATI 850XT card and WOW what a difference that made!!

I must say my graphics look nicer than Flint now!! I am not jealous any more and I will enjoy this game even more now!

Do yourself a favor and if you haven't done so, let the Video card manually set the AA/AF and contrast/brightness (by default most cards are set to allow the game adjust these settings).

It will take a few trial and errors to find the optimum setting but when you do, you will be amazed.

Happy hunting.

Over and out.

but just imagine...

if 1C made the renderer in TOW use the same contrast values as Flintlock's screenshots...

plus AA and FSAA settings..

shouldn't be hard, even FarCry has different rendering settings you can choose from in the games video options

The contrast in Flinlock's screenshots gives it a HDR lighting look

Wokelly, Flint, and all

I figured out how to make the game look even prettier! The problem was I was letting the game to adjust the AA and AF. Unfortunately, this game does not handle AA/AF internally. Most games do but not this one. I wish the mods and developers would have alerted us earlier.

So, what I did was to manually set the AA and AF and the contrast/brightness/Gamma in the ATI control panel for my ATI 850XT card and WOW what a difference that made!!

I must say my graphics look nicer than Flint now!! I am not jealous any more and I will enjoy this game even more now!

Do yourself a favor and if you haven't done so, let the Video card manually set the AA/AF and contrast/brightness (by default most cards are set to allow the game adjust these settings).

It will take a few trial and errors to find the optimum setting but when you do, you will be amazed.

Happy hunting.

Over and out.

Hey could you tell me where to go to do that. I am a complete moron in terms of knowing how computers work.

Wokelly,

Do you have ATI video card? If so, it comes with its own control panel. You can right click on your desktop, go to "properties", then select

"advanced" and you should see the ATI tab. In the ATI tab, you will see options for setting up AA and AF. You can select depending on your card's performance (2X, 4X, 8X, 16X). The higher the multiplier, the sharper and more real-life the image but make sure you get decent frame rate by testing one at a time. It is some manual try and error but it is worth it.

Also, in ATI panel, there are options to set "Gamma", "Brightness", and "Contrast". Make sure to adjust these and select "manual" and NOT "in game". Most important one is the contrast which will really bring out the details and colors.

Good luck.

Over and out

Nvidia also has its own control panel. However, I have some bad news for you! It appears that you have a motherboard with AGP slot for video (as opposed to PCI-E). Nvidia 6600 is too slow and frankly not up to task for this game at high resolutions. 6600 GT is better but still not good enough.

If you have AGP, I recommend Nvidia GeForce 6800 or better yet ATI X1950XT. They are both expensive (about $250) and require a lot of power which means you probably have to upgrade your powersupply to atleast 550 Watts (about $100).

To see this game in true beauty that it is, you need to run it at the highest resolution (1600x1200 or 1680x1050 for wide screen monitor) and set the AA/AF to max with contrast set to very high.

6600 just won't cut it I am affraid. Good luck.

Over and out.

OOps, I meant Nvidia 7800 (not 6800). Personally I prefer ATI cards and for AGP, the best video card ever made for AGP is ATI X1950XT. Don't forget the powersupply requirement for either of these cards (550W minimum).

You should also consider ATI X1950 PRO which is a very top-notch AGP card and has less power requirement than the X1950 XT so given your 6600 running today, I recon your best option is to go with ATI X1950 PRO given your powersupply is adequate and not less than 400 Watts.

Of course you can do your own research on video cards! Good luck.

Over and out.