Theatre of War "Sound and Fury" Video Released!

Madmatt

Originally posted by [X] Charlie:

Any word/comment on the US bolt-actions BFC guys? Like to know if it's something I'll have to put up with.

That ones are not garands, probably are Sprinfield 1903 bolt action rifles.

They are in the units list of the game.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jiggles:

Not bad for an RTS smile.gif . A bit jerky, was that just the FRAPSing? Ah well I've got machine enough to play it nice and smooth no matter what it needs!

Some of the voice acting could wasn't so great. "Hurrah! Follow me men! Last one to the tuck shop gets a wedgy!".

Actually I gotta defend FRAPS a bit. It's a great tool. I just did some more recordings with over the weekend and the main problem is not so much Fraps (although it does mean a certain hit to framrates), but the following conversion to WMV seems to have a much bigger effect. The original Fraps videos are hundreds of MB for even short clips, and the Windows Media Encoder is used to shrink this down. This seems to create most of the problems, as some frames are skipped during the encoding process.

Buy more games then some day we're going to afford more professional video editing tools ;)

Martin

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

That ones are not garands, probably are Sprinfield 1903 bolt action rifles.

They are in the units list of the game.

Oh, ok. I knew some Springfields were used (unscoped) during the war, just wasn't sure how common they were.

As long as the Garand is working correctly, I'll be happy. smile.gif

I know I'm going to be another hassler, but any news on the demo, Moon? I'm just gaggling to try this out.

Originally posted by [X] Charlie:

Any word/comment on the US bolt-actions BFC guys? Like to know if it's something I'll have to put up with.

We asked 1c about this about the first day we got the game to look at but basically it was the matter of resources and animation time. The animations were already complete and for whatever reason, they decided to use just one set of animations for all rifles. Not only is it shown as a bolt action, the guy works the bolt with his left hand. That left us scratching our heads for sure. I guess the animator was a lefty...not sure..

Rest assured though, better visual representations of the M1 (and SVT-40, the other 'semi' rifle) are high up on a post release patch list we are already compiling.

Madmatt

I don't mean to sound like a total dingus, but I just watched that video and I actually shuddered when I heard some of the sounds... HUZZAAA!! I mean...they may as well been shouting, "I'm Tims little brother, they let me do the voices because I work for donuts!"

I know I am being sarcastic, but please tell me you can shut these off, or mod them or something. Oh, and how come some sounds come across as big and worldly (meaning the echo and feel like the fill the world) and some (Like the smaller arms) just sound like they are the same sound over, and over again, and they cut off with no atmospheric presence.

Is this just a limit of the video?

I suppose I'll ask this question. Why not, instead of posting a 12 minute video of those horrible sounding planes bombing over and over again, post a smaller video, of very high quality, of some of the more exciting weapons?

I would rather see a 2 minute video of full frame rates, and high quality sound, than a 12 minute video that is choppy, and sounds like I recorded my Vanilla Ice Tape using a cellphone.

The sounds have got a mixed response...believe me when I say that they are better than the early videos. I have to agree though the US voice acting is bad to say the least. I have asked for confirmation about the British voice acting too, I am hoping that I wont be assaulted with "I say chaps", "Tally ho" and "Jerry's a rotter!!!" smile.gif

* all is not lost if they are bad now, a well formulated Patch can cure alot.

I'll likely order this one tho I don't think it will happen this week. Looking beyond the cheezy American Rebel yells (and not even that - what 1930's westerns did I hear those war crys in??) I see a lot of possibility in this game assuming the Mission Editor Builder is really that good.

.... Naw, those American yells have got to go. We are not the cliche' you think we are!

I almost hesitate to say this but with the UK voices, sometimes they will use sounds from the US sound set. Why? Well apparently 1c had great difficulty in getting proper UK voices recorded.

Compared to the other campaigns, the US/UK campaign was actually added very late in the development of the game and after all the other voices were already recorded apparently.

I can certainly symphatize with their (1C)problems, getting quality voice actors for a wargame is a HUGE problem. You don't want to know the headaches I have trying to get Syrian dialect Arabic speakers for CMSF.

It's not only difficult, but also very expensive and time consuming. Improving the voice sets in ToW is on a list of things I would like to see addressed in the future, even if we have to use some older sounds from CM. Ideally, we will be able to get 1C to open up the game enough to let people manually mod the voices which would be an even better long term solution.

Madmatt

[ April 18, 2007, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I have a natural American accent and a fair idea of what might have been said on the WWII battle field. All they have to do is ask. How hard is that?!

"...com'mon you dogfaces! Move yer asses! MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!"

Cheezy? Yeah... but more credible than "Hoooorah"!

Is artillery detonation that echoing and low in real life? Considering the fills are high detonation velocity TNT and similar, I would've expected a much higher pitched sound upon detonation, though from a distance, it might rumble, since the higher frequencies would be the first ones attenuated by range. Don't know what those planes were firing, but it sure was powerful and loud. The Kradschutzen were cool, as were, in a gross sort of way, the cow corpses. Spectacular visuals! The infantry VO confused the daylights out of me. Could've sworn I heard Russian morph into English, along with some other weirdness along the same lines. As for 1903 Springfields,

they were in standard service at Torch, and I don't know when they were replaced as the standard rifle. Even after the M1 went into service, though, scoped ones remained in service as the principal sniper weapon. M1s debuted

in the Pacific, though, with the Marines at the Matanikau River defense, where they mowed down the Japanese wholesale.

Regards,

John Kettler