Theatre of War "Sound and Fury" Video Released!

Madmatt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mg42 could also be made louder, it sounds much quieter than the other weapon sounds

especially when the camera was locked onto the halftrack, way too quiet!

If you made the outside vehicle sound the same loudness as the locked on vehicle cam sound, and then made the locked on cam vehicle sound a bit louder still then that looks to be about right smile.gif

After having seen it again, I took more notice to the MG42 sounds not being all to close to the real deal. I wish that I could explain better how it sounds, but Iam afraid that its not what I do best.

I base my oppinion upon the fact that Ive heard those nice MG42's often, as the Danish army have only in recend years started to fase it out of active duty and what a shame, its a much better mg than the SAW.

I thought it sounded great overall. But the vehicle MGs and cannons seemed a bit muffled(HT MG sounds off). I thought the actual vehicle movement sounds were fine though.

Also thought the Amis sounded dumb, "Follow me men" and that "Hurrah" is just plain bad, should only be for the infamous russian charge.

Nonetheless, it sounded great, love the airstrikes. I'm looking forward to to it even more now.

Did anyone else notice the dead livestock in that clip(okay I guess that was a contradiction in terms)? Now I'm curious if the animals are animated when they are alive, and if so, how good is their AI? Can you imagine the fun that the occasional angry bull or deranged rooster could add to a raging multiplayer battle?

But wait...what's that? Do I smell an add-on coming? Presenting the official "Theater of War -Freaked Out Farm Animals Expansion Pack." I hear that if you preorder, they will throw in a heard of MNAGs (Mutant Nazi Attack Goats) at no extra chrarge!

Well i did not preorder due to wanting to see the game in action via a demo, i still want to see the game in action with a demo.

Whats with the poor framerate is that the movie recorder ? Sometimes looks like you have no more than 10fps in some of them clips. I know movie recorders take a chunk of processor.

Id have to agree with the above, some sounds sound too quiet. Also whats with the americans?? "Follow me men!! WOOOOOOO!! HURAAAHH!! Follow me men!!! WOOOOO!! HURAHHH!!" such bravado lol sounds like a cross between an old war film and a rodeo. One can only hope its editable smile.gif

Some brave ai in there too, bmw w/sidecars taking on something firing HE and they are in the open, think id of got out of the seidecar when the driver bought it.

All in all this video was one of the least impressive ive seen to date. Sorry for being a bit critical but i have such high hopes for this game being the best WW2 tactical game out there. My wait for the demo continues :D

Steve

Here the sounds are way more impressive than in the former videos. We are definitely heading into the right direction.

Where did all the other posters see the MG42?? On the sidecars and on the halftracks are MG34 mounted. In that respect the sound in itself seems good to me - alltough still way too low, especially when you view the MG shooting up close. Same goes for the British tank guns. I think it is too quite to create the according atmosphere. A shot from these tanks has no potential to scare a player close by by its surprising explosion. If this could be tweaked later on.....

To this more obvious issue come two very small ones for me - everything else seems perfect for the sounds.

1. What the soldiers yell out seems a bit off sometimes. It was already mentioned that the Americans sound strange with the "Hurahh". Some counts for the Germans with e.g. "zum Kampf". Without me being ever in a firefight, it sounds pretty elevated to me.

2 Especially in the last sequence the artillery sounds come with a very metallic echo. I tried different settings of my speakers and soundcard, but to no avail. Is that echo actually part of the game sounds or does this came through the recording too???

So far I have not regretted my preorder at all - keep it comin'

Uwe

Hi guys, glad you like it. I'll try to cut the vid in two so it can go up on YouTube.

A few things worth to notice:

- extremely loud sounds actually muffle other sounds for a seconds or two. During the sequence with the Russian tanks there is a good example of this, when the main gun fires and all other sounds are drowned out. Think "Saving Private Ryan" here when they're storming the beach and you get the sequence where Capt Miller doesn't hear a thing when a grenade goes off close by. This effect is very natural and perhaps that's why it's not even so apparent. That's also one of the reasons why sometimes loud gun fire, such as from the MG34, appears to be not as loud. I was actually too close with the camera to it. If you move away a bit more, you often get a more "full" sound.

- during the air combat sequence, did you notice how the gun fire sound changes during the flyover? Doppler Effect.

- during the artillery sequence, you can position the camera in the path of the incoming arty rounds and hear them crack by. Positional sound.

The video compression still took some of the sound quality away, and perhaps accounts for what Reichenberg posted under his point 2.

Martin

Sounds do suck, really. I hope someone will make a mod after it's out.

Also, what's up with running animations? They do not match the actual speed and way off. Did you forget to make walking anims? smile.gif I don't even want to talk about "rollercoaster" aircraft, do they even change speed?

Yeah, I'm in great mood today.

Much much better...

I have to agree with Reichenberg on his points, and if I may ask a few questions.

Do the British have the correct accents, as the 'Sir' with the Brits had a American twang?

Also please tell me the Brits (if they are anything like the american troops 'Wooo hurrah')please tell me we dont go 'Tally ho chaps' 'I say thats not on'? :(

Do you have Stukas in and if so do they scream in the dive?

Hm, although I think the sound will do, I still hope for it to be moddable. I think the different engine and distant artillery sounds are nice, but all the "hand-weapons" have to sound "thicker". Not only that they sound cheap, there were all used before in different WW2 games. The MP`s and the MG 34`s ...what kind of sound should that be? A nail-gun?

And the fly-over sound of the planes? At first I thought halftracks were approaching.

Instead of the IL-2 sound they should have used the fly-over sound from the scene in "A bridge too far" in which the Spitfire performs a fly-over for this dutch boy (for example).

But, as I said before, I think it will do ...for the first 2 weeks. :)

I know the video was focused on the sound, but the vehicle animations impressed me much more. And the different look of the soldiers with even one (german) medic in their ranks. Very nice.

I think ToW could be the platform for the perfect WW2 game.

quote-"Think "Saving Private Ryan" here when they're storming the beach and you get the sequence where Capt Miller doesn't hear a thing when a grenade goes off close by."

Would that kind of effect only happen if i was indeed the soldier ie in a FPS.

quote-"That's also one of the reasons why sometimes loud gun fire, such as from the MG34, appears to be not as loud. I was actually too close with the camera to it."

Are you saying being close to a firing gun is quiet ??? Or do you mean that because its lound my ears are ringing ? Again im not the soldier. A most confusing statement.

quote-"Also, what's up with running animations? They do not match the actual speed and way off. Did you forget to make walking anims? I don't even want to talk about "rollercoaster" aircraft, do they even change speed?"

I would agree here, you would think the makers of IL-2 would of got that right.

Roll on to the Demo.

to me this is the most interesting video of TOW, for the first time we actually saw soldiers and vehicles walking and moving without having the camera constantly flying in all directions like in the previous movies.

now we actually had the time to watch the animations and the behaviour of the soldiers. except for the last minutes of the movie where the camera was constantly flying high above the battle, so we didn't see anything interesting.

what happens when soldiers surrender?

[ April 14, 2007, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: seppDieter ]

Originally posted by Field Marshal Blücher:

Overall, I was very impressed, although I agree that the Amis did sound a little silly.

At least they are speaking the correct language, in Medieval Total war II the portuguese faction speaks castelhano(spanish). :D

think the arty barrage sounds, vehicle sounds and rifle shots sound great.

Machine guns and tank guns sound muffled, but it could change by that factor Moon talked about, it should be much better in the game.

But if the MG sounds and tank guns should have realistic sound, we would had our audition blown up ASAP. tongue.gif