any more russian opinions ?

franz

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be SIGNIFICANT differences in pretty much every aspect of the game between the Russian version that is out now, and the one we will be publishing. Keep that in mind.

I hope to list out some of those differences in the very near future as I think you all will be very happy of what we have been doing since we joined with 1C.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

There will be SIGNIFICANT differences in pretty much every aspect of the game between the Russian version that is out now, and the one we will be publishing. Keep that in mind.

I hope to list out some of those differences in the very near future as I think you all will be very happy of what we have been doing since we joined with 1C.

Madmatt

This is great to hear, looking forward to it. How will this work for mp, will you guys patch russian version? Or will they simply not be mp compatible?

Madmatt

Где моя игра, сука?!? :mad:

Eh... I mean... redface.gif

Madmatt

Is "very near future" = "soon" :confused: ?

Guess i'll die, but this game will still be "comming soon" :D .

I've just received my russian version of the game and only played one single mission for the germans, called The Iron March. My first impression was how badly this game runs on my old Radeon 9800Pro and Athlon 3200+ (I didn't mess with graphics settings yet, so that may change). Also graphics looks great when loooking from a not too far distance, but when I zoom out, everything seems a bit too blury (again may be the settings). At the start of the mission I got some Pz.IVs, StuGs, a Hetzer and the best vehicle was a Panther. I quickly ran into soviet ambush and got my force totally destroyed. I thought my mission was over but then I got a stronger force, consisting of Tigers, Panthers, Pz.IV's, an Elefant and a Nashorn. These stood a better chance against soviet T-34/85s, IS-2s (though there weren't many of them), ISU-152s and SU-100s. I travelled across the map (which is quite big) destroying russian armour while losing only a couple of tanks. Then I got the russian village, which I THINK was my objective (I do not understand russian very well..) and got my force destroyed when my tanks tried to move through a treeline and the soviets closed in and just smashed them. So now I thought the mission was over, but guess what? I've got another reinforcement, consisting of a Tiger II, a Jagdtiger, a Jagdpanther, another Elefant and some more tanks. At that point I exited the game to write this mini-review. smile.gif The AI didn't impress me a lot, as often my tanks would rotate facing the enemy backwards, also there was a traffic jam when moving through a treeline and problems when moving in formation (like in Blitzkrieg). Enemy AI sits in ambush behind bushes and uses elevation to it's advantage (I guess that's scripted) and launches flank attacks from time to time, but generally just tries to close in.. That would be my initial impressions about the game. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them after playing the game a bit more. For now here are some screenshots:

SU-122 showing penetration holes at the front, when in reality it was shot at from the left side smile.gif

th_54353_grab0000_122_325lo.jpg

My captured ISU-152 and Elefant advancing

th_54405_grab0001_122_546lo.jpg

Pz.IV with damaged sideskirts

th_54410_grab0002_122_328lo.jpg

Soviets attacking

th_54424_grab0003_122_386lo.jpg

Pz.IV with partial penetration at the front (actually there's a pretty cool effect when a shell bounces off the armour, similarly to Red Orchestra)

th_54429_grab0004_122_403lo.jpg

SU-100 getting blown up by my Pz.IV

th_54831_grab0005_122_598lo.jpg

Hmmm. I know that it is much too soon to know if TOW(BFC version) is any good (I mean the game is not even out yet). But the initial reactions to the Russian version don't look very promising.

I hope the 'real' release will be a different cookie :) I still have faith! BFC will get it right. Lets keep our finger crossed for the real thing.

I plan to upgrade my ancient PC specifically for this game, you know. Would hate it if the game turned out to be a tomato.

First I would like to thank Daimyo for his mini review.

Second, as I feared, this sounds like a unrealistic tank-fest kids game. There are so many red flags in his report that I dont know where to begin. I will still give the free demo a try when it is released but unless BFC has reworked the program from top to bottom (which they dont have the time to do) then this is not going to be worth a dime to me.

I hope I am wrong about this.

I do know that BFC puts out quality products in the past so we shall see!

[ November 10, 2006, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Lanzfeld ]

Madmatt

I read somewhere, it's different game from the Russian version because Battlefront version use his CMX1 engine, what's going on with that ? And in the same time I read it's a "Close combat" 3D game! :confused:

Pat

It reminds me too of Red Orchestra. The scale is about the same (few men - lots of tanks), but strangely it is done from tactical perspective rather than as a first person shooter.

Could not get further from the truth. Infantry should be in dominating role if this game is about WWII era. Artillery barrages and air strikes against 10-15 soldiers???

Hi Patboy, you don't need to worry about this having anything at all to do with CMX1! The significant differences that Moon was talking about will, I suspect, be more on the organizational and data side of things and have nothing to do with the deeper workings of the game engine itself.

The 'close combat' reference was just to say that it will resemble that game more closely than CMX1 in terms of gameplay, except where close combat was top down, this game is 3D . Nothing more than that!

Meantime we are waiting waiting waiting for Moons list of significant changes from the Russian version, and then the demo. Before Christmas.

Second, as I feared, this sounds like a unrealistic tank-fest kids game. There are so many red flags in his report that I dont know where to begin.
yeah, I'm pretty concerned too. However, as long as users have the capacity to make our own scenarios to take advantage of the hopefully accurate physics and damage model I don't care what the scenarios are like.