Pausing during a multi-player game

Dschugaschwili

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in this game if it is pausable in multiplayer. My regular opponent won't go near anything that is RTS (me too to a lesser extent), but I could certainly talk him around if a workable system is in place, which would make it a double purchase.

Well, pausing is definitely possible in single player as mentioned earlier, and you can also issue commands during a pause. Not sure how this is solved in multiplayer because I wasn't able to test it yet to be honest.

Martin

Hm honestly I don't understand how a pause feature could work in multiplayer mode.

In Single Player it is for sure a nice option.

But in multiplayer?

Player 1 pauses the game, Player 2 just wants to play and has to wait until Player 1 has given out his orders.

The game runs a minute, now player 2 decides that he needs a break. And so on.

For me this sounds not fun.

War happens in real time, a commander doesnt't have a pause button. ;)

In Singleplayer the computer has an advantage, but in Multiplayer there are two humans and both share the same handicap.

Maybe there should be limited amount of pauses per player? But there are other reasons for pause also(other than gaming), urgent things might happen in real life.

One time guy had to leave because wife had to give a birth, but I guess that was in FPS game :D

Pause is for me an essential feature and if you are playing with people that you don't respect to use it wisely then don't play with them.

Not everyone has lightining reflex's and it is a game not war.

So those arguments about war happens in real time hold no sway with me as it is a game and people want time to give orders. It ehances the quality of game play.

Now if the feature is there and you can disable it all fine and dandy as those who don't want pauses can ensure that is the case.

For me and the friends that I play, pause is IMO essential.

By the sounds of it Megakill has a different idea to some at Battlefront.

;)

I just hope it can be resolved as this enables a full range of players rather than those who can respond fast with the mouse.

H

Hmm yeah I don't know about the whole pausing multiplayer. I think it would be frustrating as hell to play someone who was always pausing. I suppose that the "pausers" could always play with other pausers but then the games would be 3 times as long. Could you imagine watching a AT round hurtling towards a tank only to have it pause in mid-air for 30 seconds? That would be downright infuriating!

Fine that is your POV but this game is moving us beyond the traditional RTS and opening it to more players.

As mentioned in another thread there are more than a few ways to implement it.

Just because it is not in any other RTS does not mean it should be there.

It is in CMBB and CMAK and works fine IMO.

If it can be done it will help widden the appeal and not lessen it. Not everyone is a hot shot with the mouse so allowing those players a few seconds more will enhance the game play and ensure you are getting decent opposition IMO.

H

Read the other thread about why pause is a bloody useful thing to have.

Do you have a wife?

Do you ever need to answer the phone? Take a piss?

There is a pause feature in the game already so back off and stop trying to tell me I don't need it.

;)

H

There's a difference between pausing the game to go attend to the needs of the wife and pausing every 30 seconds so you can issue some new orders. I'm all for the former and completely against the latter. I think most RTS games allow pausing (a la Starcraft) but don't allow you to issue any orders. I think this would be best as it would allow for a stoppage when real life needs came up but still wouldn't slow down the tempo of the gameplay much.

I'd love to have all the features available for SP play available in multiplayer... especially if coop ever comes along. I play in a LAN group, and we often lament the inability to save or pause real-time games. It's not the Wild Wild West of the internet, so abuse isn't a concern. And since it's generally the same people playing a game over multiple sessions would be easy enough... if the software supported it.

Some games do allow it. At least IIRC. Paradox games? And I believe Dawn of War allows anyone to pause. I don't remember ever trying, though. (Orks are made for fightin', you know.) Hmm... Total Annihilation - which IMO was great when drastically modded - allowed saving via a cranky third-party utility.

Canuck All I want is the feature and if you want to reduce your opponents to those that don't pause then fine your choice.

Choice is the word here and arguing against choice seems a bit daft.

Anyway from Moon's comments it might not be a clickfest and hence pausing is something to do rarely. Tarquelne's points are good too. Saving a game so you can restart it the following evening or after a meal break is neat and has to be the way forward.

H

I have to cast another vote in favor of pausing in multi. My friend and I used to play Europa Universalis 2 and the ability to pause and issue orders helped immensely without hampering the flow too much.

Another thing to consider when comparing this to other rts games is that in this, the game area is looking to be much larger than the others. Also, in a game like this, the ability to give orders is much more important than simply cranking out a bunch of tanks and sending them towards the enemy base.

And last, as has been already stated, the option to simply turn it off will make both sides happy.

Tarquelne's points are good too. Saving a game so you can restart it the following evening or after a meal break is neat and has to be the way forward.
OTOH, pausing and saving does make plying your opponent with sodas until they either leave the table (and thus allow you to rampage) or piss their pants kinda pointless.

There's cons as well as pros.

Another vote for multiplayer pause. I've already got 3 opponents (and purchasers) lined up and we would all like the pause option.

You're only ever going to be playing 1 other person, or so I believe, so if you're not enjoying the constant pausing play someone else.

If this works like the CM model, people would play people who they have long term friendships with - or develop them from playing. So the disruption would be minimal.

I long from PBEM though.