Battlefront - Will CMC Be Vista Compatible?

HARI SELDON

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, and as for vista, who cares?

i mean who's running it?

I am, on my laptop. I really could not care less for your opinion of my O/S choices.

Hari, to answer your original question, I doubt it will be Vista compatible, since from what I've read the CMC game will produce a scenario to be run on the original CMBB game. As it's the case that many of us, including myself, are having problems getting CMBB to run properly on Vista, that kind of shoots the whole idea down the crapper.

Originally posted by J.R.:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />oh, and as for vista, who cares?

i mean who's running it?

I am, on my laptop. I really could not care less for your opinion of my O/S choices.

Hari, to answer your original question, I doubt it will be Vista compatible, since from what I've read the CMC game will produce a scenario to be run on the original CMBB game. As it's the case that many of us, including myself, are having problems getting CMBB to run properly on Vista, that kind of shoots the whole idea down the crapper. </font>

I doubt it will be Vista compatible, since from what I've read the CMC game will produce a scenario to be run on the original CMBB game. As it's the case that many of us, including myself, are having problems getting CMBB to run properly on Vista, that kind of shoots the whole idea down the crapper.
I'm glad because I hate Vista and I hope more and more games don't work on it and it goes down the crapper. Bill Gates is just trying to gouge everyone again for more money. Vista doesn't do enough of anything in an improvement to warrant moving away from XP. He just made up that direct X 10 to not be compatible to XP to force everyone to upgrade, but, it's backfiring on him. News reports say so and the general public is demanding the ability to buy a new computer with XP instead of Vista now. Hurray for boycotting.

First let me say that CMBB & CMAK are the only two games I own that are not playable with vista and an 8500GT video card. All my old HPS, Matrix, and Shrapnel games play great with vista. CMBB and CMAK happen to be my favorite games.

I have no idea how I would install xp on my new pc. to enable me to play CMBB & CMAK, nor would I want to. I enjoy using the pc, not becoming an expert.

From reviewing the posts here, I'm of the opinion there are many CMBB players in my predicament. Therefore, the base of CMBB players who would purchase CMC as an xp only product is much smaller than the total of all CMBB purchasers. I'm sure there are many CMBB players purchasing new pc's with vista daily - Battlefronts potential customers for CMC is being reduced daily.

It make no sence from a business point of view to launch a new product (CMC) with a customer base diminishing daily. CMC & CMBB must be made vista compatible.

"Delenda est Cartago"

I'm glad because I hate Vista and I hope more and more games don't work on it and it goes down the crapper. Bill Gates is just trying to gouge everyone again for more money. Vista doesn't do enough of anything in an improvement to warrant moving away from XP. He just made up that direct X 10 to not be compatible to XP to force everyone to upgrade, but, it's backfiring on him. News reports say so and the general public is demanding the ability to buy a new computer with XP instead of Vista now. Hurray for boycotting.
I can't agree more. I bought a great computer package from Costco with Vista and hated it so much I returned the next morning after setting it up half the night before. I love XP Pro and it works great with EVERYTHING, especially CMAK, CMETO and CMBB. What else do I need? I hope Vista goes down in flames for good. Why did we need to change at all in the first place?!

First let me say that CMBB & CMAK are the only two games I own that are not playable with vista and an 8500GT video card. All my old HPS, Matrix, and Shrapnel games play great with vista. CMBB and CMAK happen to be my favorite games.
I have the same results. In fact, the ONLY applications- I've had real trouble (defined as 'not able to get it working') with are CMAK and CMBB. It's kind of ironic that I can get V4Victory (an ancient DOS game) to run on Vista but I can't get CM to run.

Unfortunately, there aren't any easy options to get CM running on your Vista machine. If you are so inclined, you can check out the Technical Support forum thread where some of us are hashing over the options. Basically it boils down to downgrade to XP, add an XP partition and dual boot, or add a Linux partition and dual boot. Of those, downgrading is the least technically challenging option.

@easytarget-- Dude, this isn't a 'bash Vista' thread. Hari asked a technical question about Vista support. So what does he get? Instead of any kind of rational help, he gets replies of various flavors of 'I hate Vista'. It's not helpful in the least. You don't like Vista? I don't care!

I don't particularly care for Vista, but it's not painful enough for me to be willing to install XP. Trying to hijack a request for assistance because you don't like the O/S the guy is using is weak.

:/

[ January 14, 2008, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: J.R. ]

J.R.

You make a good point. I probably should not have said 'I hope it goes down in flames', since it is working for some people. At any rate, I still don't like it, but maybe it just needs time to have the bugs and kinks worked out. All in all, XP seems to be a better operating system though. Hopefully, Hari will get his issues worked out with the Tech guys. Peace.

J.R. posted the following in between tears:

"@easytarget-- Dude, this isn't a 'bash Vista' thread. Hari asked a technical question about Vista support. So what does he get? Instead of any kind of rational help, he gets replies of various flavors of 'I hate Vista'. It's not helpful in the least. You don't like Vista? I don't care!"

Man up dude. Going to the trouble to post on behalf of another forum guy who didn't even need your help, in the wrong forum that's not even for technical support, when a thread about this very topic IS in the tech forum, well, honestly it's either sorta sad or kinda funny. I'll let you chose.

J.R. wasn't finished defending the honor of Hari and all Vista users, and continued with the following:

"I don't particularly care for Vista, but it's not painful enough for me to be willing to install XP. Trying to hijack a request for assistance because you don't like the O/S the guy is using is weak."

This isn't an active forum, yet it would appear you've failed to read the half dozen threads that are here, otherwise you'd know all 6 of them are varitions on "Waiting for Godot".

So it's effectively impossible to hijack something that is quite literally going nowhere.

JR- Thanks for the supportive statement.

However, I'm not looking for technical support. I couldn't care less what operating system I'm running as long as it does what I want it to do. As I've said, vista allows me to run all my work and entertainment software with the exception of CMBB & CMAK.

Does anyone know how much longer microsoft will be making xp available for new pc's? Their track record after releasing a new operating system is to keep the prior operating system availble for 6 months to 1 year. I've heard rumblings the microsoft will release the first service pack for vista shortly and many of the negative issues should be settled.

My guess in regard to CMC is that Battlefront will not release a new product which is limited to running on xp, which will not be availabe soon on new pc's. Therefore, if CMC is ever released it will be a scenerio generator for the CMSF generation of games.

This is quite off-topic, but I noticed a thread about what games work with Vista at another website (The Wargamer), and I was interested to note that CMAK and CMBB were both listed as working with Vista. I think I also saw something about making sure you had the right video cards and drivers.

If you're having problems, have you tried sending an e-mail to Matt or Schrully to see if they can suggest something? Let us know if they come back with something useful, but, once again, technical posts are better being left out of comedy forums (like this one).

OK, then.

End of life data for Windows XP can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Basically looks like June 30 2008 is the cut off date for OEM, and January 31, 2009 is the cutoff date for system builders. That's for availability. If they follow their historical practice, patches should be available for several years yet.

However, Microsoft has a habit of slipping these dates forward in response to consumer demand. YMMV.

I have Vista and CMBB and CMAK both work fine on it.

It does indeed take an enormous amount of time for the installation to start but as others have indicated this is not only a problem with CM.

My impression is that it has to do with the exe that has to be started to run the installation because Vista checks any exe that you start to see if it is not malignant and to ask you if you are sure you want to run it (irritatingly, I know).

So if you have one huge humdinger of an installation file, as is the case with CM, it takes forever.

The only problem I have with running it on my new PC is that I can't see fog anymore. But that has to do with BFC using fog table emulation which, from my research, appears to have been a shortlived fad and quite an exotic technology not likely to be supported by any new GFX cards.

To all the smartasses : some people simply have to walk into a store and take what's on offer. They do not know :

a) where to get a replacement operating system that doesn't cost a fortune

B) how to install that OS on their PC

If you have been blessed with the 'talent' to overcome this hindrance, good for you. Perhaps you would care to share your great knowledge with us lesser mortals instead of merely ridiculing us for not being as savvy as you.

It's great seeing all these people bash on someone who would like some info about Vista. I myself have a dual boot system and us XP when needed, which is very seldom. I'm finding myself using Vista more and more with the games supporting directX 10. Call of Jaurez is stunning with directX 10.

the bottom line is that the CM series is not direct 10x compatible and very soon through attrition all the XP direct 9x systems will be gone. As people modernize to Vista and 8800 graphics cards. If Battle Front dosen't step up and make this series compatable, it will die and soon. Personaly I would buy and updated version asap as long the format isn't dinked with Ala CMSF or TOW formats which kills after market campaigns and custom senarios.