BFC mentioned in TSJ article

I found an article in the Dec2005/Jan2006 Training & Simulation Journal titled 'Artificial intelligence gets real'. It mentions 'Highway to the Reich' and CMAK as games with good AI qualities.

The article says:

</font>

• '..CMAK is a thinking man's wargame.'</font>

</font>
  • '...superb perspective of being able to examine the battlefield from any angle, backed by an excellent scenario editor that would make this game a useful tactical trainer.'</font>

but, although a version has been licenced to the Australian DoD

</font>

• '...Battlefront says a potential contract with the US Army's Training & Doctrine Command never got of the ground.'</font>

Interesting to note the article points out that the military agencies are rather stupid when it comes to buying COTS games - if the hard programming work is already done, then it makes sense to buy a licence for a game engine that already exists. I s'pose its just hard to convince them to buy the licence.

Oh well, better luck with selling CM:SF to the US Army.

Maybe this is one one those 'hidden taxes' deals. Instead of you paying $50 in taxes so the Pantagon can do five years worth of studies and eventually buy you a copy of CMSF, they're letting you skip the middle-man and spend the same $50 to buy it for yourself! That's how it seems to be working these days with extra body armor and steel plating for trucks... and food stamps ;)

Here is the direct link to the article: AI gets real

It is an interesting article and I believe might represent the frustration some Military professionals are having getting good simulations for training. Most of the professionals I know have mentioned this frustration as well.

The US Military are fools for not investing in these games' development... CM:SF I have always thought sounded a lot like it was targeted directly at the US military... program it and they will come. ;)

Like Steel Beasts before it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the US military buy into it once it is released.

Steve, I would recommend getting as many US Army training officers as possible on the BETA team ;)

Bil

Originally posted by Bil Hardenberger:

It is an interesting article and I believe might represent the frustration some Military professionals are having getting good simulations for training. Most of the professionals I know have mentioned this frustration as well.

The US Military are fools for not investing in these games' development...

Not really. Modern militaries invest in far more realistic training aids.

Already back from the bank, Eric?

BTW, while a formal contract with Tradoc never "got off the ground", of course it doesn't mean that CM is not being used on several levels in the US and other countries' armies. In fact, CM was the subject of several studies. Official. And less official smile.gif

I am sure with the move to a more modern setting we'll see even more interest from the military than already for CM. There are many training goals, and hence many training tools are required.

Martin

The US Military are fools for not investing in these games' development... CM:SF I have always thought sounded a lot like it was targeted directly at the US military... program it and they will come. ;)

[conspiracy theory]

BFC decided to do the game with modern US equipment because they know they can sell it to US Military. It will turn out that the military isn't interested in CMSF as a training simulator but as an enlisting tool. They let people play CMSF for a while and then it is only possible to play more if you enlist.

[/conspiracy theory]

I work for a DoD simulation developer. You'd be suprised at how hard it is to convince the higher ups that there is something out there with outstanding training potential that doesn't cost $5,000,000 per unit. PEO-STRICOM is notoriously sluggish and difficult to deal with - ask anyone in the Army training world. Even if the guys on the ground are screaming at their commanders for your training sim, it might take two years to actually get it to anybody.

The Marines and the Army Guard are actually a lot easier to deal with.

However, a OneSAF integration and HLA/DIS compliance in CM:SF would be uber cool. smile.gif

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I work for a DoD simulation developer. You'd be suprised at how hard it is to convince the higher ups that there is something out there with outstanding training potential that doesn't cost $5,000,000 per unit. PEO-STRICOM is notoriously sluggish and difficult to deal with - ask anyone in the Army training world. Even if the guys on the ground are screaming at their commanders for your training sim, it might take two years to actually get it to anybody.

My point exactly... :rolleyes:

Like Steel Beasts before it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the US military buy into it once it is released.

Steve, I would recommend getting as many US Army training officers as possible on the BETA team ;)

Bil

How about an NCO? ;)

Eric are you talking about our Virtual Immersive Combat Environment program?

It plans to use VBS and Steelbeasts.

MD while there are some very sophesticated military products, such as JSAF and ONESAF, the overheads involved in running them put them outside of the abilities of most units. What is needed is simulations that units can use. I'm looking forward to seeing if CMSF will join the select few that have made that list.

Cheers

Rob Carpenter

Army Simulation Wing

Australia

Originally posted by DASman:

Yes Mike,they do....

V*I*C*E is a very realistic environment.

It is the wave of the furture in Tactical Military Trainers.

E