If you are discouraged, try this

SSG DEG

Load the scenario in question into the Editor. Add a battery of artillery and some time. Save and play.

Keep your strykers out of RPG range and pound the target with the arty. Once the bad guys are softened up advance the strykers slowly.

This is a great game. But some of the scenarios don't have enough indirect fire support. That does not seem very realisic to this former FO from the Vietnam days. I don't ever remember being outside of the artillery fan.

Agreed. I've said before that one issue for me is that US superiority of firepower and technology can make many scenarios far too easy and leave one with a sense of anti-climax. Scenario designers should take this into account and adjust accordingly to provide really challenging battles, particularly vs AI. Some designers have done/are doing this, and there are some great battles around. Please, just keep 'em comin'!

Like the other games I've worked-on or designed, CM:SF relies on the users to keep content fresh, relevant, and exciting.

BF's job was to give you a game. The scenarios are fairly realistic in that US firepower and training is, indeed, far superior to Syrian equipment and training, and that is reality.

If you want to get down to it, giving every scenario tons of IF and Air support negates any semblance of parity and balance in a scenario.

Take the first two games for example. I think the US player lacks the indirect fire support I would have expected. Consequently, I find it difficult to complete the mission without heavy friendly losses. All I am saying if you find yourself in that situation, don't get frustrated, add arty until you get more familiar with the game.

Well, since the US invented the whole firebase system in Vietnam in order to keep patrols under artillery coverage in virtually the entirety of S. Vietnam, it is true that US forces were under artillery coverage almost all the time in that war, at least in the later years.

In a war where the fighting was over the same ground for over 10 years, it's not surprising the every inch of the country was eventually covered.

A first-incursion invasion of another nation such as Syria would be a bit different, though. Mobile Artillery assets like Paladins, 120mm mortar Strykers, etc. are designed to keep pace with rapidly advancing forces, but there are logisitical limits to how quickly they can move, and how quickly they can be resupplied with fuel and ammo.

So it's not inconceivable that US spearheads, in an effort to maintain operational tempo, might outrun at least heavier artillery support. IIRC, such situations did actually happen in GWII. Probably not for too long, and they would still have air support to call on. But planes and guns are not unlimited, even for the US Military.

In CM, we tend to play the unusual because it's more interesting and challenging. Far more entertaining to play the scenario where a US Company has to fend off a Syrian counterattack while the immediately available Air Assets are busy attacking a Syrian armored column a bit farther off, and the Paladins happen to have been caught repositioning between firing points, than play the scenario where the US Company fends off a Syrian counterattack by calling down the Wrath of God (aka Big Arty and Air Support) on anything that moves.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by B00M$LANG:

If you want to get down to it, giving every scenario tons of IF and Air support negates any semblance of parity and balance in a scenario.

Surely that depends upon the victory conditions? The options in CMSF should allow sufficient flexibility to allow for imbalances. A good scenario design should present a realistic AND balanced scenario without having to deprive the US forces of what they realistically have. Right?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rudee:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SSG DEG:

That does not seem very realisic to this former FO from the Vietnam days. I don't ever remember being outside of the artillery fan.

A former FO from the Vietnam days.... So, that would make you roughly 60yrs old. Wow. </font>

Originally posted by Rudee:I guess I just can't imagine myself sitting at a computer playing pc games at 60years of age.
I'm 48 and I still love games. Old men play chess in the park. I'm sure this will be a life long hobby for me. It's good for your mental health/capacity to have to solve problems, especially when you get older.

StellarRat,

that's true, but computer games do not what you expect. The brain is like a muscle and the only way to keep it intact, is to put it to it's limits. That means reading and/or learning new things, that force the brain to remember. Playing chess is a completely other league and indeed is a good brain training. But CMSF isn't.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

StellarRat,

that's true, but computer games do not what you expect. The brain is like a muscle and the only way to keep it intact, is to put it to it's limits. That means reading and/or learning new things, that force the brain to remember. Playing chess is a completely other league and indeed is a good brain training. But CMSF isn't.

I disagree with you. I learn something new all the time when playing games including wargames. I still have "AH HA!" moments. I admit that pure strategy games are probably better. Any game that forces to you plan, balance and execute can be as challenging as you are willing to make it. Only shooters are mindless.

Yes the US is overpowered vis-a-vis a 3rd world country like Iraq,er, I mean Syria. But we have to remember that, in terms of military planning, a closely contested battle is often a *mistake*. Even in WW2. The desirable 3-1 attacker/defender odds from the hoary board games of the past was there for a reason.

Originally posted by Rudee:

I guess I just can't imagine myself sitting at a computer playing pc games at 60years of age.

In my world of warcraft guild we have three generations of the same family playing - grandparents, parents, kids.

The grandparents are probably online the most...

Originally posted by vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rudee:

I guess I just can't imagine myself sitting at a computer playing pc games at 60years of age.

In my world of warcraft guild we have three generations of the same family playing - grandparents, parents, kids.

The grandparents are probably online the most... </font>