Javelin question

Getting back to cool weapons attachments, I think our rifles all need a slingshot mount too. Think about it. If you run out of ammo and mujahideen are all around you, you can fight your way out with exploding slingshot pellets and slingshot hurled grenades and molotov cocktails. Or alternatively, if a buddy runs out of of ammo, just pop a mag in the slingshot and shoot his way. Problem solved! Plus, the rifle makes a great steady attachment and platform for the slingshot.

I think I'll draw up some prototypes and present it to DARPA. Considering other stuff they've given the nod to, how can they refuse?

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Renaud:

I thought the javelin also had a remote launch feature...you could set up the missile some distance away and launch it remotely. Does that feature still exist in the javelin?

Definately not. </font>

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Does nobody get the joke that the Javelin gunner is the only man in the squad with a CLU?

Ah oh, we are about to get waayy off topic now.

"If there is a problem, check the C-R-E-W light"

[ August 21, 2007, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: tc237 ]

I must be thinking of the AT-3...you could fire that remotely via a long wire (forget how long, no more than 30m I think). Very handy for avoiding return fire. Problem is if you were too far away from the missle it was hard to aquire it and it might just fly into the ground before you got control.

Does the full cmx2 feature the remote launch capability of the AT-3?

The AT-3 can indeed be fired with the gunner in a very different position. However, it is nearly impossible to hit anything when doing so. The problem with the AT-3 is you must track both missile and target. This is difficult enough to do with the missile is fired from the same position as the gunner, much more dificult to do when it is not. That plus major problems with simulating this caused us to skip it.

Steve