The obligatory military service thread. Where and when.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11A = Infantry Officer. Amazed how many times I get asked that...

Yup...out of Carson. Strykers for 2ID are out of Lewis. They're around here somewhere, right now. I cuss em every time I see em drive by..usually because they're running my guys off the road or almost hitting some National Police guys. That and they've hit so many walls in the neighborhood I patrol and have to take the backlash for...friggin strykers...

Navy Seabees Combat Construction

96-02

NMCB5

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Port Hueneme, CA

Puerto Rico, Camp Moscrip, Roosevelt Roads

Vieques, operation eastern access

Okinawa, Camp Shields, USMC Jungle warfare training

with short trips to...

guantanamo

korea

alaska

leavenworth...jk

.50 cal gunner, FO, comms, NBC, Jungle Warfare, range coach, and all around good guy.

Originally posted by Bradley Dick:

Well, could be worse. If you were sharing an AO with us Bradley guys, any wall we "bumped into" would be a pile of bricks.

Oops.

It is with the Strykers, too. They'll come in, conduct a raid and leave. Then I come in on my normal patrol and have to deal with the LN pointing at the wall "Why Mister?!?" *sigh*

Originally posted by robplumm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bradley Dick:

Well, could be worse. If you were sharing an AO with us Bradley guys, any wall we "bumped into" would be a pile of bricks.

Oops.

It is with the Strykers, too. They'll come in, conduct a raid and leave. Then I come in on my normal patrol and have to deal with the LN pointing at the wall "Why Mister?!?" *sigh* </font>

Finnish Army 2006-2007, conscript

I served in Utin laskuvarjojääkärikomppania / Kaartin jääkärirykmentti & Reserve officer school

I was first trained to be a paratrooper in a special unit but broke my ankle in a jump and this later got me transferred to a scout unit. Rank 2nd lieutenant.

"Why Mister", "for baby"
I still hear that in my dreams.

---------------------

Question for the Fins,

When my unit was deployed to Macedonia in the '90s on a UN mission, we had the pleasure of serving with a Finnish unit (FinCoy IIRC).

The Finns I talked to said they weren't an actual active army unit, but had been recruited specificly for the UN mission.

Some of the guys had extensive experience and prior deployments, others had recently signed up.

(I did have a nice long discussion about hockey, they could not stop raving about Teemu Selanne, for good reason).

The Finns I talked to said they weren't an actual active army unit, but had been recruited specificly for the UN mission.

Some of the guys had extensive experience and prior deployments, others had recently signed up.

Yup, that's how Finland recruits the UN peace keepers. Up until very recently, Finnish Army did not have any standing combat-ready military units (border guard is a different thing altogether and is under the Ministry of Interior), as the peace-time army units were solely conscript-training organizations. Recruiting UN peacekeepers from reservists had the bonus of deploying men and women who had various civilian professional skills that came very handy in peacekeeping duties, like construction and medicine.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zemke:

US Army and National Guard 1982-Present 45th IN BDE and 1/4 IN OPFOR

Served as IN Platoon Leader

Scout Platoon Leader

Support PL

Bn S-4

IN Company Commander

CAV Troop Company Commander

BDE HHC Company Comander

Operations Officer

Deployed to Afghanistan 2003-2004...Trained ANA

Deployed to Afghanistan 2006-2007...Trained ANP

How long have you been in 1/4? I was in C Co from 97 to 2000. </font>

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by travh20:

A and B co. 3-14 Inf 10th MNT Div 92-95

deployed to Somalia and Haiti

Any chance you knew a guy named Hule (can't remember exactly how to spell it but it is pronounced Hool, rhymes with cool)? I think he was in A Co, would have been a private at the time. </font>