Mines and I

Found this in another thread:

Originally posted by JP76er:

Edited to add: I just need the mine field help on this scenario. Others I have played with engineer squads, I can locate the mines.

Now, I' curious. Ever since 1.0, I haven't managed to locate any mines using engineers so far, unless the first went off. :(

JP76er or anyone else who's been sucessful in finding them, would you be so kind as to enlighten me?

Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif

Nope. Sorry to say mines aren't 'findable' except in the usual often-fatal way. Engineers can do 'something' to already-found mines with the 'mark mines' command though it takes them awhile to do it and I'm not entirely sure what it is they're doing! I'm almost finished with a new scenario using mines, myself. Adds significantly to the stress level in the game! smile.gif

</font>

• How long does it take for the engineers to clear a lane?</font>
</font>
  • How large is the lane?</font>

</font>

• How do they mark the lanes width?</font>
</font>
  • How many engineers does it take to clear a lane?</font>

</font>

• Does the size of the squad or plt makes a difference on the time to clear a lane?</font>

Just some questions that I would like to know and it seems that there isn't that much interest to either fix the problem or make it better.

I've been complaining for awhile that engineers 'do nothing' with mines and only recently realise they actually do 'something'!

If, for example, your Stryker runs over a mine a red mine sign will appear. if you scamper engineers close enough to the red mine sign their 'mark mines' command will go from greyed-out to activated. You place the 'mark mines' command over the red mine sign, the engineers go prone and stay there - and stay there - and stay there for like 3-5 minutes from my little test. The mine sign eventually switches from red to yellow and the engineers relax, assume proper defensive positions. What that yellow sign means I'm not at all sure. Don't go driving another vehicle over it or BOOM! :eek:

[Edit] Marwek, you've actually got enginneers to FIND hidden mines? Wow. You're a better man than i, then!

[ March 21, 2008, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Thanks for the answers guys - though I'm no smarter than before.

I've noted the "mark mines" order becomes available once the existence of mines becomes known (by blowing someone up that is)- but like MD, I have no idea of what use that is afterwards. :confused:

Marwek77, could you explain how you managed to spot mines with red engineers?

• 3 months later...
Found this in another thread:

Now, I' curious. Ever since 1.0, I haven't managed to locate any mines using engineers so far, unless the first went off. :(

JP76er or anyone else who's been successful in finding them, would you be so kind as to enlighten me?

Any help would be appreciated. smile.gif

Hi,

I'm JP76er & I never posted such an item on a thread about mines. I just started looking today to find out how to make the "Mark Mines" feature work. I'm finding out that it doesn't really work in any logical way to make it real or useful. Don't know where that other post came from.

Only the syrians do have mines don't they? So if you played with red engineers they should already have known where the mines are.

Sorry for my bad english...

Generally yes, but there are two exceptions to this. One is Red vs Red scenarios, which are starting to come out in decent numbers now. Another is that you can actually give a Blue force Red equipment and vice versa. If you go into the scenario editor, you can set up a Blue vs Red battle, then change the forces to Red vs Red, give the Blue side Red equipment, and then change it back to Blue vs Red.

And your english is fine. ;)

-FMB

(...) If you go into the scenario editor, you can set up a Blue vs Red battle, then change the forces to Red vs Red, give the Blue side Red equipment, and then change it back to Blue vs Red.

-FMB

Is it supposed to work this way? Sounds like you could pull off some weird stuff then. . .

Sure, all kinds of possibilities emerge.

Since CMSF posits a Coalition invasion of Syria with (unlike OIF) broad international support, you could for example have a joint force of US troops and Iraqi Army or police commandos (Special Forces using VladTemplar / M1A1TC's excellent uniform mod available via CMMODs) fighting Syrian Army or uncons in some border town or other in an area not on the main axes of Allied advance.