Just got SF, need "best" mod advice!

Finally!

Today I stopped at Big Lots in search of a coffee thermos, and as I skimmed the tiny software standee I just about fell over: "Combat Mission Shock Force" for $6.00 U.S.! :eek: They had just one copy, and needless to say, it was mine in a heartbeat. :D

I've got the game patched up to v.1.07, and now I'm seeking the soundest advice possible in regards to getting The Best playing experience possible.

With that in mind, I'm hoping for advice on...

(1) Mods that enhance gameplay while remaining accurate to Real World physics, tactics, and what have you. Since AI performance seems to be a major concern around here, anything that increases their credibility would be most welcomed.

(2) Mods that realistically enhance graphical and sound based effects.

(3) Great missions and/or campaigns.

(4) Threads and/or articles that offer up solid and proven advice for how to deploy and handle one's forces.

There are a ton of threads and mods listed here and at CMMods, and I simply don't have the time to comb through them all. Any feedback on these matters (supplied with links if possible) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just itching to jump in, but I'm going to force myself to wait a bit. Listening to the wise sages around here is sure to pay off.

Yours,

Kyle

Mar. 25, 2008

smile.gif

~P.S.

If there are any known conflicts that exist between one or more highly recommended mods, it'd be great to know what they are in advance.

First I would recommend playing the existing campaign that comes with the game. It's well made and has a lot of diversity.

I would recommend just about any of those missions on cmmods. Some are more realistic than others, or more difficult, or more fun. But they all have some redeeming values. I would also recommend all of the very few campaigns you come across. Webwings Ghost campaign is great. Bardosy's campaign is very fun too.

Mods? You're just going to have to look at the pics. Try to pick some that match the battle you are playing. For instance, there is an african union mod that goes with some african missions.

Sound mods? There aren't many to choose from. Personally, I'm waiting for one of these modding geniuses to put out a better one, as some of the sounds from the existing ones didn't quite match.

$6? Nice find.

$6..Geez

I just purchased last week and am interested in mods as well. I had heard there was a Mogadishu mod ala "Blackhawk Down"

but have yet to find it, and unsure how it would work anyway with the obvious factor that helos seem not to be directly simulated..but the street battle alone should be worth it if it can be found.

Originally posted by bwgulley:

$6 I feel sick, I paid a little more than that, about 10 times as much as I recall. But I got the deluxe pre-order.

ha, got mines for $7 on amazon in addition to the OP's question....are there any MARPAT units out there?

Can't offer much on 2-4, as I'm still fairly new to the game myself and haven't gotten into changing the visuals and audials around much. IMHO, the basic sounds and graphics are very good. In terms of #4, so far, I've found reading up on "real world" small unit tactics to be most useful so far.

But FYI, you won't find any "Mods" for #1. The physics of the game engine and the core AI behavior routines are unmoddable in CMSF.

As the game stands right now, whether the AI gives realistic, enjoyable challenge is largely a matter of how well the scenario designer set up the AI scripts. Some scenarios are better than others. Pay close attention to how the scenario is intended to be played -- many are best played from a certain side.

The largest scenario included in the demo -- "Going to Town" gets my vote as the the best overall I've played so far. The final scenario in the Training Campaign is another very good one -- it's a great small scenario for learning MOUT tactics. I've played it through several times now, and I learn something new each time.

But like I said, I'm still pretty new to this. I'm sure others have more to offer.

Cheers,

YD

Well I'm happy to plug George Mc's "Armour Attacks":

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=72;t=000277

And if you want a AAR on it (not necessarily a how to play) you can always look at my AAR:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=71;t=000187

Be warned though the initial load will take "a while" depending on your machine's specs. After that though loading saved files are a snap.

Originally posted by 19Kyle72:

Finally!

Today I stopped at Big Lots in search of a coffee thermos, and as I skimmed the tiny software standee I just about fell over: "Combat Mission Shock Force" for $6.00 U.S.! :eek: They had just one copy, and needless to say, it was mine in a heartbeat. :D

I've got the game patched up to v.1.07, and now I'm seeking the soundest advice possible in regards to getting The Best playing experience possible.

With that in mind, I'm hoping for advice on...

(1) Mods that enhance gameplay while remaining accurate to Real World physics, tactics, and what have you. Since AI performance seems to be a major concern around here, anything that increases their credibility would be most welcomed.

(2) Mods that realistically enhance graphical and sound based effects.

(3) Great missions and/or campaigns.

(4) Threads and/or articles that offer up solid and proven advice for how to deploy and handle one's forces.

There are a ton of threads and mods listed here and at CMMods, and I simply don't have the time to comb through them all. Any feedback on these matters (supplied with links if possible) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just itching to jump in, but I'm going to force myself to wait a bit. Listening to the wise sages around here is sure to pay off.

Yours,

Kyle

Mar. 25, 2008

smile.gif

~P.S.

If there are any known conflicts that exist between one or more highly recommended mods, it'd be great to know what they are in advance.

You cannot mod the engine. Only the textures. So all the mods you'll find will only change the look of units.

Have fun!

19Kyle72: Welcome to the forum:

www.CMMODS.com also has a large number of maps for Quick Battle games. They are called "QBG"

Maps and were created by several forum members (The Quick Battle Group) to provide maps for all types of battles and terrain. An easy way to search for them is by "designers" You will see them listed under MarkEzra. Install them in your CMSF/Game/Quick Battle Maps file

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm happy to finally be here as a player. What's been especially frustrating to me is that I've only had a half hour since its purchase to test it out. Needless to say, I didn't get very far. RL is just keeping my hands tied, and boy, do I need a BREAK.

It's indeed quite promising to read statements that unreservedly support the missions/campaigns that have been released.

A quick question, how does one install the uniform mods? I've combed through the folders listed in CMSF directory, and there's nothing "obvious" that stands out as an indication as to where I should put the texture files.

Perhaps that should read "another" quick question ... smile.gif

1. Open the Data Folder.

2. Create a new folder within the Data folder and make sure it starts with "z" (e.g. "Z NATO" or whatever).

3. Put the mod files in there.

4. Start CM:SF

BTW: All this and more I found using the "search" button above and typing "mods" and then looking at the first couple out of the 15 or so pages of responses.

A higher priority than mods (and I'm a big mod guy) should be collecting 3rd party scenarios. CMSF isn't like CMx1 when you needed as much new art as you could find to get a little 'realism' going. The best mods out there aren't 'better' than the default art so much as 'different' - my own mods included ;)

I highly recommend QBG maps.

In CMSF, Enemy AI plans are integrated in map design. So the scenario / map designer is responsible for the behavior of AI. Stock Quick battle maps are insufficient and sometimes buggy in the AI aspect. (Haven't tried the new official Quick Battle maps yet for 1.07).