Real-Timer or WE-GO????, and spooky action at a distance...

Foobar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe... Dr. Zoidberg, don't worry. 2x your age probably means 4x as slow. Probably also means having to quit a game in the middle because a baby needs to get fed or "the wife" has said it's time to stop wasting time and go take out the garbage. Or somefink like that :D

One thing that *is* a true advantage of WeGo... battles can be a lot larger and/or complex, yet still be playable (Rune's scenarios are an exception, since nobody can play those things ;) ) than they can be in RT mode. Our target is to make sure that a Company sized game is possible in RT with a good mix of terrain and Objectives. Compare that to WeGo which, in theory, could handle several Battalions at one time. Again, only Rune would want to play such a game, and no hardware today could handle it, but you get my point :D

The upshot of this is that RT "tops out" at a lower point than WeGo. At least technically speaking. As I said, some people don't like to play games larger than Company sized anyway, therefore they won't notice the inherent limitation.

Steve

Oh quit your bitching you old farts! :D

It's not like the good people at BFC went nuts and took out the WeGo mode. RT is just another way to play CM for those who like that. You don't have to.

Which reminds me to repeat my request for a special newbie section in the forum when CM:SF is released. We can't very well let newcomers loose on these old women, can we? ;)

Respectfully

luderbamsen

Since we are going to get Real Time battles of Company level... will be any chance in the future for something like Combat Mission Campaings working in real time for bigger level battles in a very large multiplayer engagement?

Figure an 5 vs 5 player, where there are a 4 vs 4 players leading a company in real time, and a 1 vs 1 battallion comander composed by very old/slower pace players that issue the orders and coordination of their team... may be distributing the weapons support at bigger levels, etc... at real time.

Will be cool to see a real time Combat Mission Campaings expansion for CM:SF

(Ofcourse the WE-GO & PBEM option will be also interesting.)

Was this discussed internally in Battlefront?.

An expansion on "Gameplay style" is some times more intersting than an expansion on "weapon's & scenario content".

BFC,

On the issue of CoPlay that is far away three questions.

1) Will players have roles that make them higher and lower on the chain (4 players command their own section of troops, a fifth just relays orders and communications) or will it just be like it is now with multiple people (five people each controlling their own company size elements).

2) Will off map assets be available to all players, have a priority chain, or be restricted by the "purchasing" player.

3) Will CoPlay potentially make it into a CM:SF module or is it totally out for this title.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

That's what we call CoPlay and we'd probably be shooting for about a dozen people per side each commanding parts of a battalion. But that is a ways away. Way too much coding to do for this first release.

Steve

Oh that is l33t.

Worthy of adding to the big pile of 'stuff we know about this engine'.

There are some threads that go into great detail about CoPlay. Or at least what we would ultimately like to do. No, it will not be available for some time. I certainly won't be released into a Module. It's going to take us a huge chunk of dedicated time to make it, so it probably won't even make the intial WWII release. CoPlay alone would probably triple the time to release, and nobody wants that smile.gif

Steve

I certainly won't be released into a Module. It's going to take us a huge chunk of dedicated time to make it, so it probably won't even make the intial WWII release.
I am confused here. If CoPlay will not be in modules, how will it even get into the WWII release then? Or does the statement just apply to CM:SF modules.

One thing that *is* a true advantage of WeGo... battles can be a lot larger and/or complex, yet still be playable (Rune's scenarios are an exception, since nobody can play those things ;) ) than they can be in RT mode. Our target is to make sure that a Company sized game is possible in RT with a good mix of terrain and Objectives. Compare that to WeGo which, in theory, could handle several Battalions at one time. Again, only Rune would want to play such a game, and no hardware today could handle it, but you get my point :D

Steve

Hey rune, dont let the boss tell you such nonsense. Some of us out here like to play the big battles. :D

I am confused here. If CoPlay will not be in modules, how will it even get into the WWII release then? Or does the statement just apply to CM:SF modules.
We have no definite plans for anything except the initial CM:SF release. There are, however, likely scenarios for various things such as the first CM:SF Module, the lack of CoPlay for a significant amount of time, and Normandy being the next CM Title. Anything I say beyond this is purposefully vague because there are no hard plans.

Steve

There are some threads that go into great detail about CoPlay. Or at least what we would ultimately like to do. No, it will not be available for some time. I certainly won't be released into a Module. It's going to take us a huge chunk of dedicated time to make it, so it probably won't even make the intial WWII release. CoPlay alone would probably triple the time to release, and nobody wants that smile.gif

Steve

Well those are great news... because it make the gameplay much more fun. Doesn't matter if we must wait 5 years for it, we will support a game that aims to this kind of stuff.

Lots of human players and cooperative gameplay is the most interesting thing that makes a game playable for many, many years...

I hope that in those cooperative design will be a posibility to add atleast two command levels... the higher comand is more slower to play but very interesting for some players, and the smaller commands are more speedy for the players that love this kind of gameplay.

No war game has still a cooperative design to allow several steps in the chain of command, i hope that Battlefront will get a chance to try the first one. smile.gif

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jeffsmith:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

and Normandy being the next CM Title.

Steve

I knew NW Europe was the generally accepted theatre

But has this precise Area of Battle been stated before ? </font>

Yeah, I don't know when I started "officially" talking about the first WWII release being Normandy, but I did a quick search and pretty early after the initial CM:SF announcement that's kinda what I was talking about. Since we are doing NW Europe 1944-1945 (over several Modules) the obvious, and earliest, place to start is Normandy. What comes after that is still a little up in the air.

Steve

Still rather have a Pacific War module myself especially with 1:1 representation, but has any thought been given to doing an early war module?

Yeah, I don't know when I started "officially" talking about the first WWII release being Normandy, but I did a quick search and pretty early after the initial CM:SF announcement that's kinda what I was talking about. Since we are doing NW Europe 1944-1945 (over several Modules) the obvious, and earliest, place to start is Normandy. What comes after that is still a little up in the air.

Steve

but has any thought been given to doing an early war module?
Well I am sure at some point there was at least some thought given to the idea. I am sure at some point there was probably a tiny bit of thought given to the idea of starting off CMx2 as a Civil War game. The question is how much.