Arabs at War

76mm

While it doesn't cover the (future) period covered by this new game, there is a great military history of the Syrian and other Arab armies since WWII: ARABS AT WAR by Kenneth Pollack. The author does a great job of differentiating the characteristics of the various Arab armies and of addressing the reasons why they have generally not been very successful. For more detailed descriptions, see the reviews on Amazon. Highly recommended!

My fears that CMx2 was really only going to be an improved version of the Close Combat series has come true!

I can't believe that some BFCs expect all us foreigners and the Germanophiles to be comfortable having to reduce ourselves to playing only US Forces (and minor Arab Allies AIUI and WTF does anyone want to play them for - including most Arabs to be sure) you arn't even gonna be able to go British or the Israelis for veriety. That sucks for a near future Lavantine / Near East wargame simulation IMHO.

77mm I agree that alot of the post 45 Arab combat history is pretty interesting but I don't think that any of it will be covered in McCM Stryker Force, of course that's going to be the case because it's really a Sci-Fi game after all!

I don't consider the setting all that exciting, very tense for sure, but not as intense as the WWII setting. The assymetry of the setting makes me think that one side will be playing a shoot'em up kind of game while the other is playing a spy killer type of game. And the Assymetry will force this situation IMO.

WTF would anyone who is not a terrorist actually want to wargame playing militant Arabs against US and their allied Arab Forces anyway?

It was mostly a repeat. Guess he summoned all his creative writing skills to demonstrate that he is unhappy with our pick of settings and therefore couldn't be bothered to come up with a totally unique second post :D

Look, we don't mind people being disapointed with our choice. We do think that being childish about it doesn't do the posters any favors. Yeah yeah yeah... you don't like modern combat... we get it. Not everybody thinks like you... get over that too.

Steve

Yes I did fytinghellfish but it seemed to me to be particularly relavent in this thread.

Your entitled to your opinion about the contents of my earlier post Ivan Drago but I stand by it especially my retarded, according to you, question about who would want to play militant Arabs against US & Arab Co Forces.

Certainly some terrorist might actually want to play that as a wargame, while a lot of US Army and other Country's professional Armed Forces instructors / trainers and combat testers might need to but I don't think that they would enjoy it so much that they would do so for the pleasure of it.

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

WTF would anyone who is not a terrorist actually want to wargame playing militant Arabs against US and their allied Arab Forces anyway?

That is a very offensive comment. Equating all arabs as terrorists shows a total lack of knowledge of the region. It is like lumping U.S.A., Canada, U.K., Australia and the I.R.A. together because they all speak english and look the same.

Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc., all have their own diverging cultures, customs, histories.

I personally would have no problem commanding virtual Syrian forces against an invading U.S. force, just like I had no problem commanding virtual Soviet forces against an invading German force. It does not mean I support eithed Assad or Stalin.

Originally posted by JC_Hare:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

That is a very offensive comment. Equating all arabs as terrorists shows a total lack of knowledge of the region. It is like lumping U.S.A., Canada, U.K., Australia and the I.R.A. together because they all speak english and look the same.

Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc., all have their own diverging cultures, customs, histories.

I personally would have no problem commanding virtual Syrian forces against an invading U.S. force, just like I had no problem commanding virtual Soviet forces against an invading German force. It does not mean I support eithed Assad or Stalin. </font>

Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

Your entitled to your opinion about the contents of my earlier post Ivan Drago but I stand by it especially my retarded, according to you, question about who would want to play militant Arabs against US & Arab Co Forces.

I look forward to it.

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zalgiris 1410:

I look forward to it. </font>

While I've been told to clear off from this thread some of my post has been discussed a bit so I feel that I ought to just clear up the emphasis that I meant in my point of view.

From my orrigional post above in this thread

I can't believe that some BFCs expect all us foreigners and the Germanophiles to be comfortable having to reduce ourselves to playing only US Forces (and minor Arab Allies AIUI and WTF does anyone want to play them for - including most Arabs to be sure) you arn't even gonna be able to go British or the Israelis for veriety. That sucks for a near future Lavantine / Near East wargame simulation IMHO.